2019 CX-9 engine ticking sound at idle

Hi, new to this forum, but long time Mazda owner 87 rx7 turboII, 93 rx7, 2012 cx9, and now a 2019 cx9 with 24000miles on it. The car seems great, drives really smooth, no codes or anything, but at idle it makes a very noticeable ticking sound that I can hear with the hood open or closed. I know that fuel injectors make a ticking sound but do not think this is what it is. Is this a common sound from this engine? I was thinking it may have been the valve lifters, I opened the oil fill cap to see if I could hear the noise more prominently. When I removed the cap air was just puffing out of the oil fill hole in the valve cover. I was surprised at the force, it was actually blowing some oil out. Anyway, I was wondering if these two things were normal for this engine? Thanks

Hi, new to this forum, but long time Mazda owner 87 rx7 turboII, 93 rx7, 2012 cx9, and now a 2019 cx9 with 24000miles on it. The car seems great, drives really smooth, no codes or anything, but at idle it makes a very noticeable ticking sound that I can hear with the hood open or closed. I know that fuel injectors make a ticking sound but do not think this is what it is. Is this a common sound from this engine? I was thinking it may have been the valve lifters, I opened the oil fill cap to see if I could hear the noise more prominently. When I removed the cap air was just puffing out of the oil fill hole in the valve cover. I was surprised at the force, it was actually blowing some oil out. Anyway, I was wondering if these two things were normal for this engine? Thanks
Oh, also, the sound seems to be coming more from the driver's side of the engine.

If you can record a short (maybe 10-15s) video on your phone, you can upload it directly to the forum. Might make it easier for others to diagnose.

The new CX-9 is a direct injection turbo 4-cylinder. Usually, 4-cylinder engines have a ticking sound when they’re idle. It happens to my CX-9 as well. You’ll notice that when the car is in drive, or when the vehicle is moving, the ticking sound either slightly decreases or goes away.

If you can record a short (maybe 10-15s) video on your phone, you can upload it directly to the forum. Might make it easier for others to diagnose.
It may be difficult even than because to the untrained ear a Skyactiv engine is basically noisy, and most of those sounds are perfectly normal. Here is an example of the different normal sound from a Skyactiv 2.5 engine with less than 25k miles.

Back