CX-50 Dimensional Specs

I prefer the height of the CX-5 and don't want something too big. I want more towing capacity, and prefer a plug-in hybrid.

Want AWD, but no interest in going off-road, camping or adventures.
Keep a look out on the CX-70. Will offer everything you are looking for. Especially towing capacity with it being an inline 6. The size has yet to be speculated. I’m guessing the sweet spot between a CX-5 and a CX-9. Slightly smaller than the CX-8? Who knows. I’m excited for the design. May end up buying one in the future; alongside my CX-50. Gives me an excuse to sell my Tacoma. The gas mileage makes me want to pull my teeth out.

Last edited:
I am thinking that the CX-70 will be around the size of a Ford Edge at maybe 189-191 The CX-50 is 6 inches longer than the CX-5 and the CX-90 will be growing a bit so there will be about 15 inches of length between the -50 and the -90.
BTW, the CX-70 will not have a V-6, it will be an inline 6.

I am thinking that the CX-70 will be around the size of a Ford Edge at maybe 189-191 The CX-50 is 6 inches longer than the CX-5 and the CX-90 will be growing a bit so there will be about 15 inches of length between the -50 and the -90.
BTW, the CX-70 will not have a V-6, it will be an inline 6.
I totally meant inline 6**. I was obviously tripping when I responded. 😂😂 I also have a Tacoma (V6) so sometimes I throw that term around. The CX-70 will definitely be a sweet spot in terms of size, I predict.

Keep a look out on the CX-70. Will offer everything you are looking for. Especially towing capacity with it being V6. The size has yet to be speculated. I’m guessing the sweet spot between a CX-5 and a CX-9. Slightly smaller than the CX-8? Who knows. I’m excited for the design. May end up buying one in the future; alongside my CX-50. Gives me an excuse to sell my Tacoma. The gas mileage makes me want to pull my teeth out.
I hope you're right. I think the CX-5 is a good size. I hope the CX-70 isn't much wider, and hope it isn't shorter in height.

I hope you're right. I think the CX-5 is a good size. I hope the CX-70 isn't much wider, and hope it isn't shorter in height.
Agreed, but I hope the large part of it is mostly the length. Hauling stuff doesn't need width as much as length. I hope it's a slightly wider cx5, slightly taller or the same height, and a considerable 10ish inches longer. (Trying to get my Mom to switch to Mazda with one of the new 3 SUVs, she has a '17 mdx and its cool, but not as unique as mazdas)

The width of CX5 is 72.6 inches (numbers are excl. mirrors).
Width of CX-50 is 72.9 inches.
Width of CX-60 is 74.4 inches.
CX-70 is supposed to be wider than a CX-60....

Width of an Acura MDX is 78.7 (which is specifically for US market) (RDX is 74.8)
You can safely guess that width of CX70 will be closer to that of MDX.
My guess is between 77 to 78 inches.

The width of CX5 is 72.6 inches (numbers are excl. mirrors).
Width of CX-50 is 72.9 inches.
Width of CX-60 is 74.4 inches.
CX-70 is supposed to be wider than a CX-60....

Width of an Acura MDX is 78.7 (which is specifically for US market) (RDX is 74.8)
You can safely guess that width of CX70 will be closer to that of MDX.
My guess is between 77 to 78 inches.
I don't suppose that I can predict what Mazda will do after the CX-5 US diesel fiasco. I hope the CX-70 is closer to RDX than MDX in width. I like to be able to get around it in the garage and in parking lots.

But the CX-50 looks a like a good fallback, should the CX-70 be too big and/or not be an improvement in preferred dimensions, drivetrain, or towing capacity.

Hauling stuff doesn't need width as much as length.
Depends on what you are in the habit of hauling. The longest thing I have to accommodate front-to-back is a golf bag a little less than 50". And in any case it fits side to side at the back of a CX-5 where there a bump outs.

If you were in the habit of hauling 4' x 8' sheets of plywood or the like you'd need a minivan or a 3-row SUV. That capability to lay those sheets flat used to be touted by makers when the vehicle fit the bill until they realized that's a low priority for a preponderance of buyers. They are more likely now to tout creature comforts in the second row.

In picking something like a CX-70, length would matter if you have something to haul regularly that is longer than a golf bag and less than an 8' piece of lumber. That's a pretty narrow niche between a CX-5-sized vehicle and a 3-row SUV (surfboard, skis?).

In this comparison, for most folks, total usable cargo capacity is what matters. You can't compare vehicles based on the manufacturer's specs. First, there is no industry standard for measuring cargo capacity. Second, it would be imprudent to load it to the gills and block the rear window especially on a road trip when that is most likely to be the circumstance.

If you're not in the habit of hauling longer items my advice would be to get a tape measure and calculate cubic feet of the usable space on a current vehicle as a benchmark--length x width x usable height where you can still get a view out the back. Estimate how much more you might need. Then do the same with a prospective vehicle to see if it fits the bill.

For example, I know that my Sienna with the second row tumbled forward (not removed) is just about right for two month jaunts to Florida. When I go to trade, I will consider 3-row SUVs where the second row folds flat. Measurements will be made on the Sienna and the prospect. In glancing at a Highlander, the length looks comparable with second row fold-flats vs. Sienna tumble forwards but the usable height is noticeably less. The proof is the "putting", putting a tape on these things.

Last edited by a moderator:
I hope the CX-70 is closer to RDX than MDX in width. I like to be able to get around it in the garage and in parking lots.
That's certainly a consideration for some folks. Length too in a garage after accounting for stuff stored. When I had my current house built I specified a 24' by 24' garage, larger than typical, so I could store stuff around the perimeter. Depth wise, that was just about right. Room to be able to open the rear hatch on a minivan with door close and room to walk around the front to the house door in front of shelving. If I had it to do again I'd spec 26' wide :unsure:.

I've transported a 10' pex pipe in my CX-5 with the hatch closed. I brought a cutter to help it fit, but didn't need it. Probably could have accommodated one passenger in right rear. Don't remember if I had to drop the left rear seat, or just the 20 middle.

I've transported a 10' pex pipe in my CX-5 with the hatch closed. I brought a cutter to help it fit, but didn't need it. Probably could have accommodated one passenger in right rear. Don't remember if I had to drop the left rear seat, or just the 20 middle.
Sure. Something like that could fit resting it onto the dashboard if necessary.

Sure. Something like that could fit resting it onto the dashboard if necessary.
I have a junky pickup with a ladder rack, but I prefer to drive my CX-5 whenever possible. Many useful things from the hardware store come in 8' or 10' lengths, and if I only need 1 or 2, its nice to be able get it in my normal ride.

Back