Mazda Announces Pricing and Packaging for 2023 CX-50

I personally would opt for the Turbo. It sucks to lose the ADD, I have it in my CX-9 and absolutely love it, but the turbo and the LED headlights and taillights are substantial upgrades. Plus, even if you lose out on the OEM Bose audio, it is possible to upgrade the speakers to a better system down the road. You can't really do that with the engine or the headlights/taillights (or maybe you could, but it would be pretty expensive). I also don't really care for ventilated seats, though I've read that Mazda's ventilated seats work really well.

I would consider it an easy choice to pick the heads up display over the greater power/torque and poorer mileage of the turbo. But now the turbo comes with increased towing capacity, and that difference is significant to me.

The good news is, one can have both if willing to pay for it. If I were buying a new car when these came out, and the CX-5 hasn't taken strides in the meantime, I think the CX-50 would be at the top of my list.

But there's nothing wrong with my 2018 CX-5, other than trade-offs I was aware of from the start, so I'm in no hurry. I'd like to see the plug-in hybrid offering of the CX-50, and also the relative size of the CX-70. The CX-9 is too big for me. I think the CX-5 is a good size, and will probably be fine with the larger CX-50.

I also think I'd probably prefer a plug-in hybrid version, so I'd like to see what that offering is going to look like.

I don't intend to take it off-road or do anything more adventurous with it than I'd do with my current CX-5, which is already more capable than I need.

Before buying the CX-5 I was leery that the high center of gravity would mean poorer handling. But I consider the way the vehicle handles to be superb. Now I'm used to the high vantage point. I am concerned that the CX-50's higher ground clearance (that I don't need at all), and lower roofline, will mean a more cramped and carlike interior. I like the high vantage of the CX-5, and unlike many here, I like the seating position and comfort of having the seat cushion high above the floor.

Mazda has updated its press release where "terracotta interior color with orange stitching" is "Turbo-exclusive" ...no other changes were noticed against the original Feb 22 release.

https://insidemazda.mazdausa.com/press-release/mazda-announces-pricing-and-packaging-for-2023-cx-50/

Previously, under Premium it read "leather seating surfaces in black or an all-new unique terracotta color inspired by nature, two-position driver seat memory, premium trim inserts with camel stitching on black interior, and orange stitching on the terracotta interior. "

http://web.archive.org/web/20220222...nounces-pricing-and-packaging-for-2023-cx-50/

Perhaps an error being corrected, perhaps supply chain issues securing this new color forced this adjustment, or perhaps just a launch change of mind.

It's nice when the upgrade option actually looks better, like this terra cotta. The CX-5 Signature looks wrong with dark brown on black.

Thanks caffinepwrd! This is super helpful to see this level of detail..

This also explains why the correction for which trims the Terracotta interior leather is available with: pages 2 and 12 it's correct (Turbo only), but page 7 it's incorrectly showing Premium onwards.

It also matches autoblog's specs regarding the 34.3" headroom w/o pano roof and 33.7" with.

It
It also matches autoblog's specs regarding the 34.3" headroom w/o pano roof and 33.7" with.
I noticed that as well. It is very difficult to explain. Some new and peculiar method of measurement like a minimum with the seat all the way forward and up toward the down sloping roof line? Even a low slung vehicle like Miata has a spec of about 37".

Car and Driver now has the specs posted which may be more readable than that PDF and they appear consistent with that PDF after spot checking:

Anyway, for anybody test driving the first thing to check is whether you smack your head getting in and the second thing to check is whether your head hits hits the headliner after positioning the set.

It does appear that the cargo capacity with the second row down is in fact slightly less than CX-5.

The *head room* of 34 inches has to be a typo.
If you check the head room of CX30 or Mazda6, they are 37-38 inches.
There is no way a SUV will be less, unless Mazda's marketing (positioning) department is really dumb. Mis-information does get copied around over internet. Won't be the 1st time.

It should be around 38-39 inches, which is between CX30 and CX5.
It is 2 inch lower and 1 inch more ground clearance than a CX5. Interior space should suffer.
However, it is also 5-6 inch longer than a CX5.

Official info should come out soon.

BTW, headroom is measured from seat bottom to the roof.

I have a theory regarding cargo space... maybe like Subaru, Mazda is using the latest methods of measuring cargo space which results in lower numbers, again, like the current generation Subaru Outback, which on paper has a smaller cargo capacity than the previous gen, but bigger in "real life" as they said.

The *head room* of 34 inches has to be a typo.
If you check the head room of CX30 or Mazda6, they are 37-38 inches.
There is no way a SUV will be less, unless Mazda's marketing (positioning) department is really dumb. Mis-information does get copied around over internet. Won't be the 1st time.
That 34" is in the Mazda document in post #28 above. If it's a typo, it's Mazda's typo.

Since Mazda likes to be different perhaps they decided to use some new unconventional measurement technique. SOP would be to position the seat at the mid-points of the various adjustments and measure from the back of the seat bottom to the headliner. If they did that and came up with 34" they'll lose buyers over 6', maybe shorter. That makes no sense.

I'm interested in what the Toyota sourced hybrid model will offer whenever that becomes available.

Yeah, looks and apparently feels like a station wagon. I prefer the dimensions of the CX-5. I hope the CX-70 isn't any wider than the CX-50, and sits higher. I don't need to access the roof, and I like the CX-5 seating position and vantage.

Looks like the middle armrest may be a better height though. The CX-5s is too low. and I like the towing capacity improvement.

Back