CX-60 PHEV reveal on March 8th

:
Denmark
:
CX-30 150hp Aut
The CX-60 PHEV will be revealed on March 8th.
Looking forward to seeing the exact specs and style, so far they say it will have 223KW (300hp) and meet European emission regulations.

That looks similar to the 2022 CX-5. Looks like it will have a RWD architecture and be a plugin hybrid. Should be very interesting!

"Mazda has confirmed the CX-60 will arrive with a plug-in hybrid powertrain combining the automaker's 2.5-liter inline-4 with an electric motor for a combined 300 hp. An 8-speed automatic and all-wheel drive are also expected to form part of the package."
Screen Shot 2022-02-08 at 10.48.29 AM.png

Last edited:
Mazda may be using the RAV4 Plug-in Hybrid setup from Toyota.

What's unclear is whether that 2.5-litre engine will be Mazda's own Skyactiv unit, as deployed in the CX-5, or the 173bhp engine from technical partner Toyota. This latter is paired with a pair of motors – one with 180bhp on the front axle and another with 54bhp at the rear – for a total output of 302bhp, which tallies with Mazda's 296bhp-plus claim. (296bhp = 300hp)

What's unclear is whether that 2.5-litre engine will be Mazda's own Skyactiv unit, as deployed in the CX-5, or the 173bhp engine from technical partner Toyota. This latter is paired with a pair of motors – one with 180bhp on the front axle and another with 54bhp at the rear – for a total output of 302bhp, which tallies with Mazda's 296bhp-plus claim. (296bhp = 300hp)

How does that work? Is it like a regular 2.5 NA but when the wheels slip, the power is transferred? So it is never like a 300 hp car? Also, they mentioned this would be a RWD platform. So in that case, is it the opposite with the engine driving the rear and the motors for the front?

How does that work? Is it like a regular 2.5 NA but when the wheels slip, the power is transferred? So it is never like a 300 hp car? Also, they mentioned this would be a RWD platform. So in that case, is it the opposite with the engine driving the rear and the motors for the front?
The engine would drive the rear wheels and the total HP can be combined. I would think that most trims would have AWD as standard.

I do hope its Mazda's 2.5l, which is a really reliable engine and it puts out more hp than the Toyota's counterpart.

It'll be a 300hp car (at least when the battery is charged), if it's not they'll not be following EU regulations and it would false marketing.
How the engine and electric motor will be placed is unknown, they closest I've come is in the news from Mazda Denmark, which states it's a 2,5 e-Skyactiv-G petrol engine and a powerful electric motor. It specifically mentions a (as in one) motor and not multiple motors, though this could be an oversight.
We'll have to see in March :)

If it is similar set up to RAV4 prime it will always be 300hp regardless of battery charge. Only if you are in electric only mode where you get reducer power

That looks similar to the 2022 CX-5. Looks like it will have a RWD architecture and be a plugin hybrid. Should be very interesting!

"Mazda has confirmed the CX-60 will arrive with a plug-in hybrid powertrain combining the automaker's 2.5-liter inline-4 with an electric motor for a combined 300 hp. An 8-speed automatic and all-wheel drive are also expected to form part of the package."
View attachment 307285

Hm, the black fender vent (plug-in port?) looks very out of place on all that red. Would look better in red, or if the fender trim was black.

From what I understand, the CX60 is on the CX70/90 chassis, so this will be as big as a CX9, just without the 3rd row seating installed. There are 2 platforms, 3 SUV's (CX50 as a 2-row, and CX60-90 as 3-row configurable). While the CX5 continues on as the 2-row platform along side the new CX50. This kindof damped my hopes for the CX70, as it will be more like a Ford Edge than a CX5. Once you factor in a battery pack of any sensible size to operate these motors, you're looking at a minimum of 4600# weight in the car, which damps my enthusiasm for 300bhp significantly. The CX9 is 4400# as it sits, and the CX60,70, and 90 will all share the same platform, so even removing 150# or so for the 3rd row accoutrements, adding that battery pack, even a super smol one, will be ugly on the scales.

I was hoping this will be in competition with compact luxury crossovers like X3, GLC, Q5, RDX.

I was hoping this will be in competition with compact luxury crossovers like X3, GLC, Q5, RDX.
Me, too, but when I figured out the cx90 and cx70 were to be on the same chassis, that hope kindof evaporated. Think more MDX, the way its looking, imo. I was hoping for the same as you.

First spy shots from Germany are in. I would say, its not looking too bad with camo on. And tbh, as of right now, don't really care about those fake exhaust, lol. I am sure there won't be any fake ones on the Inline Six.

First spy shots from Germany are in. I would say, its not looking too bad with camo on. And tbh, as of right now, don't really care about those fake exhaust, lol. I am sure there won't be any fake ones on the Inline Six.

This is a CX9 sized vehicle. I am frustrated by this. I wanted a 300bhp CX5, not a 300bhp CX9.

From the first shots months back, it looked very similar to a CX-5. This looks more like a BMW X3 with a size in-between a X3 and an X5. The wheels look too small but will be interesting to see what is revealed in march.

Not from what I found online. We will see on March 8th.
CX5: 4550mm (179.1 inches)
CX9: 5075mm (199.8 inches)
CX60: 4750mm (~187 inches, source below)

It slots between CX5 and CX9 (similar length to next CX90).
CX60 and CX70 should be of similar length. The latter will be wider for markets other than Japan/Europe.
Same for CX80 vs CX90. The latter is wider.

Last edited:
Back