MotorTrend 2021 Toyota RAV4 or Mazda CX-5?

The last I read you loved the RAV4 and said it was pretty much superior to the CX5. I am surprised you would jump back into a Mazda with the same tech as what you traded in rather than waiting for the new CX-70.
The AWD system has kindof shown its arse in the snow/ice. As to the CX5, they fixed cold weather limp mode and made it stiffer and better shifting. I'll trade the bit of power and efficiency for a better AWD.

The CX70 will use cheaper parts from non-Japanese suppliers to cut costs, per Mazda, and be a first year model. No TY! It will probably weigh about 43-4500# as well, as it's a 3-row capable chassis. That means around 300bhp just to break even with current CX5 turbo.

No roof leak yet, but it is a bad design.

Awd is very meh. The chassis isnt as rigid as the cx5. Those two things are very important to me.
This’s a surprise to me that the chassis on RAV4 isn’t as rigid as CX-5. With electrical motors driving rear wheels on RAV4 Prime, I’d imagine the control and torque should be great and immediate. Toyota may need more time to prefect such AWD system.

Cx5 has improved too. Mirrors got a legit tsb. Cold weather limp mode is gone. The latter was part of the tbing that made me trade it.
Power folding mirrors on CX-5 are having issues since day 1 (2012 when the CX-5 just released world wide) and Mazda has issued many TSBs for them but the problem is still there at least on 2019 MY. Until Mazda has switched power folding mirror vender which is used by Lexus / Toyota, I wouldn’t feel comfortable that the problem has been truly fixed.

And the 2.5T may have potential issues on cracked cylinder head and oil consumption.

BTW, what is the real-world mpg on your RAV4 Prime since you drive so much and that’s one of the major reason you made the purchase?

This’s a surprise to me that the chassis on RAV4 isn’t as rigid as CX-5. With electrical motors driving rear wheels on RAV4 Prime, I’d imagine the control and torque should be great and immediate. Toyota may need more time to prefect such AWD system.

Power folding mirrors on CX-5 are having issues since day 1 (2012 when the CX-5 just released world wide) and Mazda has issued many TSBs for them but the problem is still there at least on 2019 MY. Until Mazda has switched power folding mirror vender which is used by Lexus / Toyota, I wouldn’t feel comfortable that the problem has been truly fixed.

And the 2.5T may have potential issues on cracked cylinder head and oil consumption.

BTW, what is the real-world mpg on your RAV4 Prime since you drive so much and that’s one of the major reason you made the purchase?
Ima averaging mid 40s.
The issue is the rear motor has 53hp/89# torque...not very equal. At all.
Mazda has resolved all of the engine issues as far as I am aware for 2022YM.

Mazda has resolved all of the engine issues as far as I am aware for 2022YM.

I don't think the cause for oil consumption has been determined yet, but either way, a little oil consumption is a much lesser evil in the world of potential engine issues.

I don't think the cause for oil consumption has been determined yet, but either way, a little oil consumption is a much lesser evil in the world of potential engine issues.
If it has not been determined, how do they know such precise cutoff production dates?
Screenshot_20220202-173130_Drive.jpg

If it has not been determined, how do they know such precise cutoff production dates?
View attachment 307169
The cut-off date could be just the change date on revised valve stem seal. Mazda admitted that the root cause of this oil consumption issue hasn’t been identified yet, hence a repair procedure isn’t available for the 2.5T.

From the TSB # 01-012/21:

DESCRIPTION
Some vehicles may have a “LOW ENGINE OIL LEVEL” warning message and a CHECK ENGINE light illuminated in the instrument cluster, along with DTC P250F:00 stored in memory.
• DTC P250F:00 - Engine oil level signal: engine oil level low
Upon inspecting the engine oil level, the level is found to be low and there doesn’t appear to be any trace of oil leakage in the engine compartment. This concern usually occurs when the mileage reaches approximately 3,100 – 4,700 miles (5,000 - 7,500km) and may also occur again after replacing or topping off the engine oil. The root cause of this concern has not been identified yet, therefore a repair procedure will be announced at a later date. Since this issue has been reported after a valve stem seal modification, it is very likely that valve stem seal damage is causing oil to leak into the combustion chamber.

The cut-off date could be just the change date on revised valve stem seal. Mazda admitted that the root cause of this oil consumption issue hasn’t been identified yet, hence a repair procedure isn’t available for the 2.5T.

From the TSB # 01-012/21:

DESCRIPTION
Some vehicles may have a “LOW ENGINE OIL LEVEL” warning message and a CHECK ENGINE light illuminated in the instrument cluster, along with DTC P250F:00 stored in memory.
• DTC P250F:00 - Engine oil level signal: engine oil level low
Upon inspecting the engine oil level, the level is found to be low and there doesn’t appear to be any trace of oil leakage in the engine compartment. This concern usually occurs when the mileage reaches approximately 3,100 – 4,700 miles (5,000 - 7,500km) and may also occur again after replacing or topping off the engine oil. The root cause of this concern has not been identified yet, therefore a repair procedure will be announced at a later date. Since this issue has been reported after a valve stem seal modification, it is very likely that valve stem seal damage is causing oil to leak into the combustion chamber.
How can Mazda say "we do not know the cause" and also say "we know the exact production day that we solved the issue", in the same tsb?

How can Mazda say "we do not know the cause" and also say "we know the exact production day that we solved the issue", in the same tsb?

Sounds like a question for Mazda. I personally am not familiar with their internal processes and how they make decisions on what info is included in the TSBs and why. You may be interpreting the VIN range as an indication of when the issue stops being an issue, but like yrwei said, it could just be an estimation based on the change date of the revised part.

Whenever I write the equivalent of a TSB in my line of work, it includes a range of affected units, the issue(s) to be aware of, a resolution (if available), and the cause of the issue (if available). Sometimes if the cause hasn't been determined yet, the bulletin is released to the dealers anyway, to inform them that we are aware of the issue and offer any potential workarounds, temporary resolutions, or general support until a more permanent resolution becomes available. At that point, the TSB is revised.

As far as the range of affected units in my industry, there are a few different ways to identify the potential range, depending on what the issue is. For example, for a transmission related software issue, we would keep track of the TCM software version in the affected units. With that information, the TSB would include the serial numbers of all applicable units that came off the production line with that software version. Each software version release includes a serial "cut-in", which indicates the serial number of the first unit that the new software version is installed on.

Again, this is how it works in my industry (more or less). Mazda's processes are likely similar, but I don't know for sure.

Didn't I see Stelvio was on the radar?
Our long-time member tibimakai sold his CX-5 and got an Alfa Romeo Stelvio 10 months ago ⋯ :p

Sold my CX5 to Carvana.
I'm saying good by guys/girls.
In the next few days, I'm getting a 2020 Alfa Romeo Stelvio Base w/wireless charger. Nothing fancy.
Red exterior w/black interior for $33k +TTL.

Back