2016~2023 Front windshield washer nozzles clogged?

sm1ke

2018 Mazda CX-9 Signature
Contributor
:
Canada
So yesterday on my way home, I tried to clean the windshield and no fluid would come out of the jets. I could hear the pump working, so I don't think I blew a fuse. I figured maybe I was just low on fluid, so I picked up some winter-formula washer fluid (it was only around -10c yesterday, but it's getting colder). Usually, if the reservoir is empty or close to empty, I end up using the whole jug, but I didn't need the whole jug this time so I know it wasn't low fluid. Tried the washers again, still no fluid. I parked the car in the garage when I got home, and revisited the issue a few hours later. I used a small brush and some warm water to brush the nozzles, then I started the car are tried the washers - they worked this time.

Thought I had sorted the issue out, but this morning on the way to work I decided to test the washers again, and I had the same issue, pump sounds like its working but no fluid comes out. It seems that either the washer jets are clogged (I used RainX branded washer fluid last time I refilled) or the washer jets or lines have somehow iced over. This is a car that went through last year's winter of -50c temps and tons of snow, with zero issues.

I'm going to try compressed air next, but does anyone else have any other suggestions aside from replacing the washer jets? I don't know if the RainX washer fluid had anything to do with this, but it was the first time I used it, and I don't think I'll be using it again after this.

I saw one of my own older posts suggesting CLR. I'll follow my own advice and try that as well later today.

Upvote 0
Typically plugged jets stay that way, or they work once cleaned. I would question the pump; it may be spinning but no pumping consistently. And, I've never had or heard of Rain-X or similar causing jet issues, so I would doubt that was a factor.

Upvote 0
Typically plugged jets stay that way, or they work once cleaned. I would question the pump; it may be spinning but no pumping consistently. And, I've never had or heard of Rain-X or similar causing jet issues, so I would doubt that was a factor.

The rear washer jet seems to be working fine - it would spray fluid even when the front jets would not. As far as I can tell, according to shopmazdaparts.com, there is only one washer pump (BBP1-67-482) for both the front and rear washer jets. Looks like the part is less than $40 on that site (not incl. shipping).

If the CLR doesn't do the trick, I'll have the dealer replace the pump/jets under warranty. It's starting to get too cold to work on the car and troubleshoot any further anyway.

The Rain X clogging issues were reported mostly on BMW/Audi/Mercedes forums, but there were a few stray posts from those with other makes as well.

Upvote 0
Well, it turns out that @Bronco Boy's suspicion about the pump might be on point. Yesterday the rear washer jet wouldn't spray either.

I made an appt with a dealer but they can't get me in any sooner than Dec 13.

Upvote 0
Good guess on my part. :)

I was just hoping for a cheap easy fix, lol. The pump is only $40, so even if I have to pay for it myself, it's still cheap, just not necessarily easy because I think I'd need to take off the front bumper to replace the pump.

Upvote 0
I was just hoping for a cheap easy fix, lol. The pump is only $40, so even if I have to pay for it myself, it's still cheap, just not necessarily easy because I think I'd need to take off the front bumper to replace the pump.
Ya, the job sucks. The last one I did was on my Grand Prix, and had to remove the inner wheel well line to get at it.

Upvote 0
Or it is goop plugging the intake to the pump. Is there a way to get a look at the reservoir?

I'll have to take a closer look. I could see the reservoir but couldn't see much of anything else. I was in the dark with a weak keychain LED light last time. After looking at a part schematic, it looks like the pump is on the front facing side of the reservoir. I might have to pull the front bumper to access it.

I got the dealer to fit me in for diagnosis/troubleshooting next week Tuesday, and I'm still in the basic warranty coverage period, so I should be able to get this sorted for free, and without getting my hands dirty. I've never taken the bumper off, so I'm going to take some detailed pictures of the bumper cover in case it cracks when they remove it. My VIN falls in the range of affected units in the TSB that was released about the bumper cracking issue.

Upvote 0
Have you ever run fluid with the 'extra' additives, like the rainX version?
Do you run it out of fluid very often?

I've heard of the pickup screen plugging up (on other vehicles) when using those additive products and also letting the fluid get down to where the pickup screen is exposed. The additive dries up and plugs the screen. I don't think it's as common with standard fluid.

Upvote 0
Have you ever run fluid with the 'extra' additives, like the rainX version?
Do you run it out of fluid very often?

I've heard of the pickup screen plugging up (on other vehicles) when using those additive products and also letting the fluid get down to where the pickup screen is exposed. The additive dries up and plugs the screen. I don't think it's as common with standard fluid.

I've filled with the RainX fluid once, earlier this summer. Before refilling with the normal blue Reflex branded fluid a couple of days ago, I was still using that fluid from the one jug of RainX. I was worried that what you described was what was happening, but since yesterday, the windshield washers have been working just fine.

I had a scheduled dealer visit for this issue today, and of course they were working at the time, so they blamed it on ice build-up. We'll see if the issue comes up again.. maybe the new fluid cleaned up whatever had gummed up the pump before. 🤷‍♂️

Upvote 0
Just a quick update. Since filling with the "normal" Reflex fluid which is good to -35c, the washer jets have all been working perfectly fine. The problem was likely due to the RainX fluid freezing and causing a blockage at the pump, or additives in the RainX causing a blockage. Either way, I'm just going to be sticking with normal fluid from now on, rated to at least -35c temps.

Upvote 0
Back