Interior Cleanliness

:
CX-5 Signature
I recently bought the red Signature edition CX-5 after driving an economy model KIA. The interior is a huge upgrade and it's very nicely appointed but I feel as though it gets really dirty looking really quickly.

The plastic on the center console and on the driver side controls attracts fingerprints like no other car I've had. The center console also already has some scratches on it near the gear shift.

Any idea how to get these out (if there is a way) and I use interior car wipes on the plastic but what does anyone else use that could ward off the fingerprints a little longer.

When it's sparkling clean it's beautiful but it seems harder to keep it that way than in my KIA that had a lot more matte finishings.

Last edited:
Plastic polish will remove scratches from the gloss plastic surfaces. Honestly, there isn’t much that will prevent finger prints on these surfaces other than 1.) learning to not touch those surfaces or 2.) putting a matte vinyl wrap over those trim pieces.

For the plastic polish, Meguiars Plastx, Mother’s Plastic Polish or Griot’s Garage Plastic Polish are good options that are easy to find.

Interior wipes are not a great method for these surfaces as they don’t tend to lift contaminants off smooth surfaces very well and end up dragging them across the surface causing those scratches. I recommend first vacuuming (being careful to not drag the nozzle on the surfaces), then a clean microfiber towel with a quick detail spray and again a light touch. It will still gather dust and not look great after not very long, but you won’t get scratches.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is how I slaved the fingerprint issue
P1010005 (4).JPG

Plastic polish will remove scratches from the gloss plastic surfaces. Honestly, there isn’t much that will prevent finger prints on these surfaces other than 1.) learning to not touch those surfaces or 2.) putting a matte vinyl wrap over those trim pieces.

For the plastic polish, Meguiars Plastx, Mother’s Plastic Polish or Griot’s Garage Plastic Polish are good options that are easy to find.

Interior wipes are not a great method for these surfaces as they don’t tend to lift contaminants off smooth surfaces dry well and end up dragging them across the surface causing those scratches. I recommend first vacuuming (being careful to not drag the nozzle on the surfaces), then a clean microfiber towel with a quick detail spray and again a light touch. It will still gather dust and not look great after not very long, but you won’t get scratches.
Thanks for the advice. Appreciate it!

Interior wipes are not a great method for these surfaces as they don’t tend to lift contaminants off smooth surfaces dry well and end up dragging them across the surface causing those scratches. I recommend first vacuuming (being careful to not drag the nozzle on the surfaces), then a clean microfiber towel with a quick detail spray and again a light touch. It will still gather dust and not look great after not very long, but you won’t get scratches.

Great post. Sadly this is an issue with piano black pieces across all makes and models. Doesn't matter what car it is, all piano black will scratch, no matter what you do. Even spraying it down with detail spray before wiping clean with a microfiber will leave scratches, but it definitely does reduce the amount.

Back