2017~2024 CX-5 carbon edition turbo instrument cluster

:
2016 CX5 GT
According to the Mazda CX-5 owners manual, there are 3 types of gauge clusters. Type A has an all-digital center which is where the multiple functions are cycled through, while analog gauges to the left and right of it. Type B which is analog tach and speedo but on the right is a full digital multifunction display, and then Type C, the very basic LED segment display on the right (and analog gauges). I have a 2016 and I have the Type C instrument cluster. I drove a Mazda 3, Mazda 6, and even a CX5 grand touring, model years 2019-2020 (various loner/rentals), and all had the Type A, really cool modern gauges that do the new chime and flashy startup animation in the center.

Looking at possibly trading in my 2016 for a 2021 CX-5 Carbon Edition Turbo and everything I can see about it shows they back peddled and downgraded from the Type A instrument cluster to the Type B (still an upgrade over what I have now).

Do you think this is due to the chip shortage and perhaps it's only temporary, maybe in 2022 they will bring back the Type A for this trim?

Compare the Instrument Clusters here:

According to the Mazda CX-5 owners manual, there are 3 types of gauge clusters. Type A has an all-digital center which is where the multiple functions are cycled through, while analog gauges to the left and right of it. Type B which is analog tach and speedo but on the right is a full digital multifunction display, and then Type C, the very basic LED segment display on the right (and analog gauges). I have a 2016 and I have the Type C instrument cluster. I drove a Mazda 3, Mazda 6, and even a CX5 grand touring, model years 2019-2020 (various loner/rentals), and all had the Type A, really cool modern gauges that do the new chime and flashy startup animation in the center.

Looking at possibly trading in my 2016 for a 2021 CX-5 Carbon Edition Turbo and everything I can see about it shows they back peddled and downgraded from the Type A instrument cluster to the Type B (still an upgrade over what I have now).

Do you think this is due to the chip shortage and perhaps it's only temporary, maybe in 2022 they will bring back the Type A for this trim?

Compare the Instrument Clusters here:
I don't think it has anything to do with the chip shortage. The Type A instrument cluster on the older models (except the new Mazda 3 and CX30), are based on the trim level you are choosing. I know that everything less than Signature, it has the Type B, as there is no Type C anymore. If you choose the Mazda 3 or CX30 it will come with Type A, independent of the trim you are choosing.

I believe they put the Type B on the Carbon Edition Turbo for cost saving purpose as well as a reason the step up to the Signature.

I don't think it has anything to do with the chip shortage. The Type A instrument cluster on the older models (except the new Mazda 3 and CX30), are based on the trim level you are choosing. I know that everything less than Signature, it has the Type B, as there is no Type C anymore. If you choose the Mazda 3 or CX30 it will come with Type A, independent of the trim you are choosing.

I believe they put the Type B on the Carbon Edition Turbo for cost saving purpose as well as a reason the step up to the Signature.
Thanks, I knew someone on here would reply faster than Mazda USA. I wrote almost a similar email to them. Does the new cars regardless of the instrument cluster have the new chime sound?

I mean its not the end of the world, I just thought that was a glaring omission. I drove a 2020 CX-5 Grand Touring as a loner car when the deaer was replacing some pully or tensioner in my 2016 CX-5 and they let me have the loner for a few days while they waited for the part to come in. It had the Type A full digital speedometer in the center. It was just kind of a neat touch. Then one day they lent me a Mazda 3, I wanna say that was 2020 as well as a loaner for a few hours while they did oil change, brakes and tire rotation. Same beautiful digital screen. I rented a 2019 Mazda 6 when my CX-5 was getting fixed due to some idiot in a parking lot backing up into it (their insurance fully covered it, rightfully so). Again a beautiful screen.

So then when I saw this brand new 2021 CX-5 Carbon Edition Turbo, I was surprised to see the old analog gauges after being in another year or two older Mazdas. I thought maybe it could have been the chip/component shortages (probably does take special electronics to drive an LCD display). Makes me wonder if you were to find a totaled CX-5 signature in a lot, if you bought the instrument cluster if you could just swap it in. Like would the connectors line up. Some Volkswagen's could handle such a swap but you had to have the dealer program the mileage in the cluster.

Another odd omission with this trim is Paddle shifters, but that kit can be bought online for around $140 and you can install it yourself. I'm seeing many gauge clusters online but not the Type A one... would have to get the part number, but I'm guessing it would be too much to be worth it $700-$1200.

Last edited:
Back