Transfer case leaking again - question

:
2010 CX-9
I have a 2010 CX-9 GT AWD that had the TC replaced at about 35K - it now has 92K on it and is starting to leak again. It is wet around the usual area and there is a dime size drip overnight on the ground. My question is, if I suck out the old fluid now and add new fluid, would that save it and fix the problem for little while? I plan on replacing the car within 6 months so just need it to hang on a little longer. Thanks.

From what I can tell if you do change it now you may have a shot to save the unit. I believe it leaks from the popper at the top so a pump and fill should keep you going. If you clean it well with brake cleaner after the job you'll know if you were successful.

I have a '12 and have taken to doing this job every 20K or so. The fluid does come out easier each time I do it. The last time was at about 70K and it almost looked normal.

If it is leaking, you don't really need to remove the old fluid, unless the fluid is dirty. Just keep it topped up and that should buy you some time.

If I was going to the trouble of topping it off I would pump out the old stuff first. I know the OP does not intend on keeping the vehicle but regardless to pump out the old and replace is really not much more effort. Also, if the vehicle will be sold it'll be one less sticking point that could come up on the sale.

Thanks for the replies - Sounds like pumping out the old fluid and replacing it could save the car and get me the 6-8 months I need. Will also be easier to sell or trade so that is what I will attempt.

I am the 2nd owner of a 70K miles Mazda CX-9 GT from 2010.

My transfer case (TC) was leaking and upon verification the dealer said the output shaft failed and I lost 4WD. After trying to sell me a new car or a new transmission, the dealer said that I should have no issues driving the CX-9 as 2WD automobile and put back the TC. The dealer did not care to reseal the TC and I have a leak again. Going back to them they did not bother looking at the TC and they say I need a new car, or a new transmission and transfer case.

Here is the question: Once I permanently turn off 4WD, can I just drain the TC so I dont worry about risk of fire (the TC is by the exhaust and its known for potentially causing fires)? I assume that if the TC is not just for 4WD than this wont work.

Any thoughts on this?

Here is the question: Once I permanently turn off 4WD, can I just drain the TC so I dont worry about risk of fire (the TC is by the exhaust and its known for potentially causing fires)? I assume that if the TC is not just for 4WD than this wont work.
How does one permanently turn off 4WD?

The TC will still be turning, so you want some fluid in it for lubrication. The TC is not known for causing fires, and gear oil doesn't get that hot, so I would not be worried about it causing a fire.

There is a fuse that can disable the 4WD. The TC is located near the exhaust and it caused fires as documented on this forum and if I remember right my Mazda dealer told me as well.

There is a fuse that can disable the 4WD. The TC is located near the exhaust and it caused fires as documented on this forum and if I remember right my Mazda dealer told me as well.

Interesting. I see no such fuse in my 2009. I see that it controls the rear diff solenoid, and will trip a code, but the TC is still going to be driven by the transmission so will need some lubrication.

I've had hot gear oil spray onto hot exhaust manifolds (a few times) and no fire, so personally I would not be concerned. And only 2 reported cases; seen other cars catch fire much more frequently than the CX-9.

Maybe after you pull the fuse you could use some RTV silicone to stop the leak?

Back