What have you done to your CX-9 today?

This is one of those mods that I’ll do in a year if you report that they are still working. I recently found out that waterproof ratings are only for non-salt water so I’ll be interested to see how they do through winter. I’m assuming they use salt in Canada?

Yep they do. Generally all of the snow and ice control products have some salt content, but the blend and how it is applied varies from province to province. For example, when I used to work for municipal government in Alberta, I found out that in addition to straight salt, they use a salt chip mixture, and they also use sodium chloride as an anti-icing solution. Here in Manitoba, they only use straight salt and treated sand.

The half-working units didn't look horrible, but I didn't really take a good look at them. I just wanted to replace them as quickly as I could because it was hot outside, lol. I'll take a closer look later to see if some corrosion made its way into the housings.

Cleaned the floor mats yesterday.

I noticed some wear had developed where I rest my heel. After I cleaned the mats last year, I saw that this area was already starting to wear, so I ordered a heel plate from Aliexpress in advance. Installed it yesterday. It's not the greatest look, but at least it prevents future wear and provides a bit of anti-slip protection.

20210713_220953.jpg

20210713_224037.jpg

I removed the rear seats. In the pic, the right 2nd row seat is all the way back. That should give us lots of space! I haven't yet driven with it so can't say how it rides but I expect more road noise.

It was pretty easy and all you need is a 14mm socket.

PXL_20210724_023110799.jpg

I removed the rear seats. In the pic, the right 2nd row seat is all the way back. That should give us lots of space! I haven't yet driven with it so can't say how it rides but I expect more road noise.

It was pretty easy and all you need is a 14mm socket.

View attachment 301437
Are you going to build a storage bin into the vehicle next? I can see the appeal of doing this to a CX-9 over getting a CX-5 for someone who never uses the third row. I had a Ford Escape and it had barely any room behind the second row. I also used to carry a bunch of “what if” gear with me.

Are you going to build a storage bin into the vehicle next? I can see the appeal of doing this to a CX-9 over getting a CX-5 for someone who never uses the third row. I had a Ford Escape and it had barely any room behind the second row. I also used to carry a bunch of “what if” gear with me
No plans at the moment. We're gonna go on some long range trips so I wanted to maximize the cargo space. I intend to replace the seats eventually. I hope it will go as smoothly. 😁

But ya, it probably wouldn't take much to fabricate something.

Took it to Victoria Beach for the day yesterday. It's about an hour and 20 mins away. Handled the drive there and back like a champ. I really like the way the car handles gentle curves and on/off ramps. I remember when I first got the car and read about GVC. Wrote it off as something I'd probably never appreciate. But something so minor is still noticeable, even more so when you see cars in front of you ping-ponging between the lane lanes during a gradual curve. Killed a few bugs on the drive back, so I just gave it a quick rinse with the pressure washer once we got home.

Took it to Victoria Beach for the day yesterday. It's about an hour and 20 mins away. Handled the drive there and back like a champ. I really like the way the car handles gentle curves and on/off ramps. I remember when I first got the car and read about GVC. Wrote it off as something I'd probably never appreciate. But something so minor is still noticeable, even more so when you see cars in front of you ping-ponging between the lane lanes during a gradual curve. Killed a few bugs on the drive back, so I just gave it a quick rinse with the pressure washer once we got home.
I didn’t even know GVC was a feature of this vehicle. Sent me down the rabbit hole today. I guess that somewhat explains why I can do 10 hours in the CX-9 only stopping for gas and have to swap drivers on the other vehicles I’ve owned after 2-4 hours.

First time poster, long time browser.
Got my CX9 earlier Feb this year and couldn't be more happy with it (I came from owning a Mitsubishi Evo X).

Just recently started doing things to the car. Here's a before (bottom) and after (top). Pretty happy with the outcome.

Next up is wheels but having a hard time deciding...

Attachments

• 224728686_994716678028100_8819949718253621669_n.jpg
    224728686_994716678028100_8819949718253621669_n.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 234
First time poster, long time browser.
Got my CX9 earlier Feb this year and couldn't be more happy with it (I came from owning a Mitsubishi Evo X).

Just recently started doing things to the car. Here's a before (bottom) and after (top). Pretty happy with the outcome.

Next up is wheels but having a hard time deciding...
Cool any closer pics of the front lip and side steps closer up?

20210729_072230.jpg
20210729_072218.jpg
20210729_072204.jpg
20210729_072152.jpg

Hope that helps. Front lip is literally rubber so damaging it isn't a problem (flexible). Sprayed a bit of tyre shine on it and it looks better.

Also installing the running boards were a pain since the instructions didn't help but easy once you know what you're doing. (Feel free to ping me if you need help)

View attachment 301588View attachment 301589View attachment 301590View attachment 301591
Hope that helps. Front lip is literally rubber so damaging it isn't a problem (flexible). Sprayed a bit of tyre shine on it and it looks better.

Also installing the running boards were a pain since the instructions didn't help but easy once you know what you're doing. (Feel free to ping me if you need help)
Front lip looks cool. Where did you get it? Do you actually use the running boards?

Front lip looks cool. Where did you get it? Do you actually use the running boards?
I bought it locally in NZ but I'm sure you can get one on ebay or Amazon. Yup the running boards are functional. My wife and mom uses it to get in the car (they're not that tall 😊)

I bought it locally in NZ but I'm sure you can get one on ebay or Amazon. Yup the running boards are functional. My wife and mom uses it to get in the car (they're not that tall 😊)

I know that if I were to get them, I'd be using them to clean the roof, lol

Fellow Kiwi nice, i think the lip complements the running boards. I just fitted some mud flaps, i wonder if you can still install the running boards with the flaps as they mount underneath the skirt i little bit. Any chance of photos underneath where it mounts up to closer to front wheel? Also where is the lip from in nz always curious for parts in our end of the woods. =)

I know that if I were to get them, I'd be using them to clean the roof, lol
Haha I cleaned the car today and this actually works! I could finally reach that middle spot.

Fellow Kiwi nice, i think the lip complements the running boards. I just fitted some mud flaps, i wonder if you can still install the running boards with the flaps as they mount underneath the skirt i little bit. Any chance of photos underneath where it mounts up to closer to front wheel? Also where is the lip from in nz always curious for parts in our end of the woods. =)
Oh I'll take a photo underneath later on. There's a bit on the running board that covers the front part of the skirt.
You can get the lip from TradeMe. Heaps of them on there even some carbon looking ones. 😊

20210731_141845.jpg

20210731_141835.jpg

Oil change at 58.5k kms. Went from Castrol Edge to Kirkland (Costco). Also took an oil sample to send for analysis.

Back