CX-9 Roof mounted cargo carriers compatible with OEM cross bars?

I plan to purchase a cargo carrier and would like to get some recommendations on cargo carriers that are compatible with OEM cross bars. I was planning to get the Haul Master carrier from Harbor Freight but found out on another post that it is not compatible.

Thanks!

If you do a search on the forum for cargo box (in the CX-9 section), you will find example of other members that have fitted cargo box to the CX-9, some with the OEM roof bars, and some with aftermarket bars. I am sure other members will pitch in here as well, but a lot of information is already available if you do a quick search. Most common issue seems to be clearance with the rear lift gate.

Thanks for the suggestions. I am looking for specific recommendations for roof mounted cargo carriers compatible with the OEM cross bars, as mentioned in my original post.

I found the Thule Canyon XT to sufficient for my needs and it is considerably cheaper than Trail XT. It is also in stock.

I want to know from anyone who has installed the Canyon XT on the OEM crossbars.

Canyon mounting locations are fixed vs trail mounts are on rail. Mazda bars spread isn't friendly to many baskets with fixed points.

You can also look into Yakima system

I had checked out Yakima to look for crossbar and cargo carrier but their RigeLine Clips and Towers are out of stock.

The yakima skybox will fit on OEM bars. Only issue if you pick a big box is that the OEM bars are a bit low and cause interference between the hatch and the box.
But you can definitely use the box until the bars are back in stock. All you have to do is program the liftgate to stop a bit lower in the meantime

see this thread.

Thread 'Yakima Skybox 18 on 2021 CX-9'
https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/index.php?threads/yakima-skybox-18-on-2021-cx-9.123874883/
Thanks but I am interested in cargo basket and not a cargo box.

" The Thule Canyon XT Roof Cargo Basket part # TH859XT requires a cross bar spread between 20" - 37" to install the basket on your roof rack. To determine your cross bar spread you want to measure from the center of one bar to the center of the other bar. As long as the cross bar spread is between 20" and 37" you can install the basket."

" The Thule Canyon XT Roof Cargo Basket part # TH859XT requires a cross bar spread between 20" - 37" to install the basket on your roof rack. To determine your cross bar spread you want to measure from the center of one bar to the center of the other bar. As long as the cross bar spread is between 20" and 37" you can install the basket."
Does anyone know what’s the spread for the OEM crossbars? Mine were ordered a few days ago and so I don’t have them one hand to install and measure.

Mine are adjustable. What year, etc, do you have?

For some reason I'm guessing 28-30".

I have a 2020 Cx-9 grand touring. OEM cross bars 00008LN11 are on order. Flush roof rails are OEM but I don’t know their spread.

This post has some side photos.

Maybe you can study the photo and derive the basic dimensions from it.

Back