Letting go of my P5

:
2002 Protege 5/ Manual transmission
Selling My P5 after 18 years of ownership. I've listed it in the marketplace.

Hate to let it go. This is the only car I have ever purchased new. Picked out the options I wanted (or more accurately the lack thereof)! I've loved it from day one as have both of my daughters. This car went with each one to college and always brought them safely home. I have to say my youngest tried her best to kill it off but it refused to leave her on the side of the road (repeated driving with no oil from Greensboro NC to Hillsborough NC). Then driving it multiple times with no coolant (first time radiator was punctured from a deer hit). These incidents led to the death spiral on the engine. In the end it still ran well but we couldn't stop it from overheating. I learned a valuable lesson and made her buy herself a car (which she has taken better care of). I ended up replacing the engine (went used) and did a lot of other work. Almost two years later and I just have too many cars.

Well it went quickly to another P5 owner in the area. His old P5 has the bike and roof racks installed and original wheels. His new one has (my old one) has the Enkei wheels.

I miss my P5 already but at least it went to someone that I know loves the car!

Attachments

• newsibs.jpg
    newsibs.jpg
    262.3 KB · Views: 217
  • siblingsa.jpg
    siblingsa.jpg
    172.3 KB · Views: 203
Well it went quickly to another P5 owner in the area. His old P5 has the bike and roof racks installed and original wheels. His new one has (my old one) has the Enkei wheels.

I miss my P5 already but at least it went to someone that I know loves the car!
Man that's a clean car, especially for the age. Sad to have to let it go. Always liked them in that midnight blue color without the roof rack. I like those Enkei wheels too, and I have the same BFG g-Force Comp 2 tires on my Protege5, which are great (assuming that's what they were from the tread pattern).

Thanks. The buyer felt the same way and kept commenting about what great condition the car was in after he test drove it.

Do you remember what size tires were on the enkeis? I just got a set from my neighbor and I'm having issues with the rear tires rubbing the fender and part of the wheel well.

Thanks. The buyer felt the same way and kept commenting about what great condition the car was in after he test drove it.
Love these cars. I've had mine for 3 years now and brought it back from the condition it was in. It must be hard to let her go but you held on for a long time. Such great cars. Enjoy your next adventure. Here's my 2003 Protege5, here in Aus they are called an Sp20.

Attachments

• IMG20210409130412.jpg
    IMG20210409130412.jpg
    194.8 KB · Views: 146
Not letting go of mine...Had it new from dealer since Jan 2004.
I've had mine since Dec 2002. ;):)

But seriously, you probably got a pretty good deal on an '03 (or '02) in Jan 2004. I got absolutely no options on mine (which is what I wanted) and it was $15k plus TTL. I recall others getting better deals when the Mazda3 was announced as it was a new model/style. In any event, my car has saved me so much money over its lifetime it's ridiculous.

It was 03.5 and 8k cheaper than the all new 2004 3's on the showroom floor. The 4 p5's left to choose from were all optioned the same and all were silver. All were sport auto. I was ok with it because at the time was doing stop and go rush hr traffic rat race bs. Pairs nicely with wife's rav4 se with slapstick and my 5 spd tacoma and 5 spd xB.

Back