CX-5 Android Auto / Apple CarPlay

Thank god that's what you meant. I am a big fan of voice controls and even I would not use Google to turn my headlights on. :D

What kind of lights do you have, Mongo?

Does anyone know of a way to get the Alexa app to come up for AA? Thought it may be handy to tell Alexa (from the button on the steering while like the other AA apps) to turn on the lights while driving home at night.
I have Lutron Caseta dimmers in my home, there is a Lutron app that allows geofencing to control lighting. I have it set up to turn on certain lights when I get close to home. No Alexa or AA/Carplay is required. You may have something similar with your home lighting system.

I have Lutron Caseta dimmers in my home, there is a Lutron app that allows geofencing to control lighting. I have it set up to turn on certain lights when I get close to home. No Alexa or AA/Carplay is required. You may have something similar with your home lighting system.
I have Hue and they can do the same. This is why I asked. :D I don't use it though as I'm not the only one in the house.
Although I could use AA to turn my lights on or off. Maybe someone needs to integrate the home with Google. :D

I have Hue and they can do the same. This is why I asked. :D I don't use it though as I'm not the only one in the house.
Although I could use AA to turn my lights on or off. Maybe someone needs to integrate the home with Google. :D
Ah, that makes sense. I only turn on the garage and outside lighting so it doesn't matter if anyone is home or not. Integrating my home with Google is something I would never do.

I could see Lutron doing that but I don't think the ones I have do. Some are attached to WiFi outlet plugs, some are LED bulbs (Phillips HUE tho), and some are WiFi Alexa enabled lamps. All connected to a segmented guest WiFi for IOT items.
Not interested in that for me. Rather have an app in AA or geo fencing.

Ah, that makes sense. I only turn on the garage and outside lighting so it doesn't matter if anyone is home or not. Integrating my home with Google is something I would never do.
I have HomeKit set up to turn on my indoor lights and open the garage door when I'm within a house length from my home.

I recently installed the new USB hub to enable AA/Carplay and everything works fine, however ...

Even though my unit was hacked with the debug commands (not the script), and while I'm driving I can use the touch screen on the built-in navigation, when using Android Auto there's not touch screen, is that normal ?

Does Carplay support touch screen ?

Thanks!

Edit: Carplay has touch screen support, Android auto does not ...

Last edited:
Well, totally dissatisfied with the Mazda factory AA. For my '17 GT is was a dealer retrofit. Seemed to work OK at first but lately Google Maps or Waze crashes the system and restarts every 10-15 seconds. I tried replacing the USB cable with a genuine Samsung cable for my Galaxy S10 and no improvement.

I had the car in for dealer service 2 weeks ago (I've only got 18k miles on it) but he said they couldn't duplicate the problem. They did update the firmware head unit but it still crashes.

Today I got a new Galaxy S21 5G phone with the very fast Snapdragon 888 processor and a brand new cable but it still crashes every 10 seconds. Unusable. Perhaps I'll try escalating to a regional manger.

Well, totally dissatisfied with the Mazda factory AA. For my '17 GT is was a dealer retrofit. Seemed to work OK at first but lately Google Maps or Waze crashes the system and restarts every 10-15 seconds. I tried replacing the USB cable with a genuine Samsung cable for my Galaxy S10 and no improvement.

I had the car in for dealer service 2 weeks ago (I've only got 18k miles on it) but he said they couldn't duplicate the problem. They did update the firmware head unit but it still crashes.

Today I got a new Galaxy S21 5G phone with the very fast Snapdragon 888 processor and a brand new cable but it still crashes every 10 seconds. Unusable. Perhaps I'll try escalating to a regional manger.

Sorry to hear. I would also try deleting the app data and cache for GMaps and Waze, then uninstall both apps and reinstall them. This is just to attempt to rule out possible app issues. Looking at the reviews for GMaps on the Play Store, it seems that there are a few cases of people with Samsung Galaxy devices reporting issues, but none that specifically state whether AA/Mazda is also involved or not. Besides that, contacting Mazda Corporate would indeed be your best bet.

Slightly off-topic, but I also just got an S21 a couple of months ago. Great phone!

Today I got a new Galaxy S21 5G phone with the very fast Snapdragon 888 processor and a brand new cable but it still crashes every 10 seconds. Unusable. Perhaps I'll try escalating to a regional manger
Most Android version 10+ issues with AA could be related to the phone settings, make sure developers settings is enabled but usb debbugging is switched off. Also check AA developers mode is enabled set as developers, up to 1080p video support selected, unknown sources is ticked.

Sorry to hear. I would also try deleting the app data and cache for GMaps and Waze, then uninstall both apps and reinstall them. This is just to attempt to rule out possible app issues. Looking at the reviews for GMaps on the Play Store, it seems that there are a few cases of people with Samsung Galaxy devices reporting issues, but none that specifically state whether AA/Mazda is also involved or not. Besides that, contacting Mazda Corporate would indeed be your best bet.

Slightly off-topic, but I also just got an S21 a couple of months ago. Great phone!
Wouldn't setting up a brand new phone do exactly that? I ran into a minor problem with my multiple email accounts so took the new phone and did a total factory reset on it. Wiped it clean then started the setup again. Worked flawlessly - except the AA.. :cautious:

Just read that Android is doing away with Android Auto on mobile devices and pushing users to "Google Maps Driving Mode." Anyone know waht this means for earlier model CX-5 owners (like me, 2017) that had the Android Auto installed after-market at the dealer? Hoping it will still work!

@amyinva
its a bit complicated
Android is the operating system
Android Auto is the name of the integration to allow the phone to talk to the multimedia of the vehicle.
Android Auto application by Google is just that. An application.

What Google is saying is they want NEW development to be focused on the Google maps application -- and that application will use Android auto to continue to be usable in the vehicle.

Clear as mud?

"Google has said that the experience won't be changing for anyone using Android Auto in compatible cars."

Your older 2017 CX-5 will still behave as it does now.

Back