First Mazda, 2014 CX-5, 52k miles

We bought our first Mazda a few days ago! We've been looking at Toyota RAV4's for a few months but came across a CX-5 Touring that met all our criteria. This will be my first experience with Mazda, but it seems the consensus is that these are pretty good cars.

2014 CX-5 Touring, 52k miles, 1 owner.

c40Odbj.jpg

We found it at a Chevy dealer who received it as a trade. They did some basic service to it before listing it. New battery, air filter and an oil change. All ACDelco parts of course :D.

I went to the Mazda dealer today and they were very helpful! They printed me the entire service history for the vehicle. All recalls have been taken care of. Tires (Yokohama Geolander G91) and brakes were done at the dealer 10k miles ago. It's had regular oil changes at the dealer. The records list "CASTROL EDGE STP 0W20" until the two most recent, which were "MAZDA GENUINE SYNTHETIC MOLY". The car just had an oil change at Mazda only 500 miles ago - then the Chevy dealer did an oil change when they got it. Not sure what type of oil they put in. I picked up a Mazda oil filter while I was at the dealer today (1WPE-14-302). I've seen some posts discouraging the use of filters that don't meet the specs for "Skyactiv" motors (bypass pressure, use of anti-drainback valve, mircron rating). It seems silly, but I'll probably do ANOTHER oil change myself soon just so I know everything is right.

Other than that, is there anything vehicle specific I should look for now that it's in my driveway? We want this vehicle to outlast the Mitsubishi Endeavor we traded in, and that was just over 200k miles! We're pretty happy with it so far, and happy to see there is a good community for support!

Last edited:
Congrats on finding such a low mileage unit! Should last you MANY years & miles.

That's a fine looking car. Seems like it was taken care of too.
Looks just like my 16 Touring, is that Machine Grey?

is that Machine Grey?
Thanks! It's definitely a nice color. I registered it on the MyMazda app and it shows as "Meteor Gray Mica".

I'm not sure if I'm going to leave the WeatherTech window deflectors on. They slip underneath the moulding around the windows. At highway speed it almost sounds like the window is open a crack. Leaning towards pulling them off.

I'll keep the WeatherTech floor mats though!

We bought our first Mazda a few days ago! We've been looking at Toyota RAV4's for a few months but came across a CX-5 Touring that met all our criteria. This will be my first experience with Mazda, but it seems the consensus is that these are pretty good cars.

2014 CX-5 Touring, 52k miles, 1 owner.
Congrats!

⋯ We found it at a Chevy dealer who received it as a trade. They did some basic service to it before listing it. New battery, air filter and an oil change. All ACDelco parts of course :D.
Hope this Chevy dealer used AC Delco Group 35 battery. I don’t expect AC Delco or GM has an oil filter and air filter made for Mazda CX-5. May be you should check both of them making sure they used the right parts.

I went to the Mazda dealer today and they were very helpful! They printed me the entire service history for the vehicle. All recalls have been taken care of. Tires (Yokohama Geolander G91) and brakes were done at the dealer 10k miles ago.
Yokohama Geolandar G91A 225/65R17 100H with UTQG “280 B A” is what the tires originally come from the factory. It isn’t an excellent tire but they have about ⅔ of the tread life left. Not much to complain about them.

⋯ It's had regular oil changes at the dealer. The records list "CASTROL EDGE STP 0W20" until the two most recent, which were "MAZDA GENUINE SYNTHETIC MOLY". The car just had an oil change at Mazda only 500 miles ago - then the Chevy dealer did an oil change when they got it. Not sure what type of oil they put in. I picked up a Mazda oil filter while I was at the dealer today (1WPE-14-302). I've seen some posts discouraging the use of filters that don't meet the specs for "Skyactiv" motors (bypass pressure, use of anti-drainback valve, mircron rating). It seems silly, but I'll probably do ANOTHER oil change myself soon just so I know everything is right.
You’ve done plenty of research towards CX-5 I can tell. Your CX-5 definitely have taken good care by the previous owner, and took it only to the Mazda dealer for maintenance. He or she even paid more for Mazda moly oil and OE tires, which is rare for most CX-5 owners. I’d do the same to change the oil again early, especially if I see the oil filter isn’t a true SkyActiv-G compatible one. I’d keep using Mazda moly oil like the previous owners did, or something with new SP / GF-6 oil certification such as Idemitsu (who makes Mazda moly 0W-20 oil) 0W-20 SP / GF-6 oil.

⋯ Other than that, is there anything vehicle specific I should look for now that it's in my driveway? We want this vehicle to outlast the Mitsubishi Endeavor we traded in, and that was just over 200k miles! We're pretty happy with it so far, and happy to see there is a good community for support!
Looks like you need new cabin filter which is very easy to be replaced by yourself. If you have an AWD, consider to change the gear lube at front transfer case and rear differential. Do the ATF drain and fill if you don’t believe the ATF is the life-time fluid. Check the belt tensioner as it most likely is leaking. If you go underneath the engine checking out the oil filter model, you should also check any oil leaks around timing chain cover and oil pan. Check the water pump leak if possible. All of above you can find plenty of information in this forum, including TSBs on problematic areas mentioned above.

⋯ I'll keep the WeatherTech floor mats though!
The worst part of expensive WeatherTech floor liners is it covers only part of the foot rest on driver side. And there’s nothing designed to prevent water and dirt getting into the base area of the gas pedal.

It's funny you mention the foot rest! I noticed that too. Doesn't make much sense. I didn't knotice the "hole" by the gas pedal but now that you mention it... It's also strange.

I'm definitely doing an oil change soon. The ACDelco filter is a PF1237 which doesn't meet the spec. The dealership didn't have any 0W20 in bottles (only drums!). I might go a different route, so thanks for the SP/GF-6 recommendations.

Battery is a group 35, so that should be fine. I haven't physically looked at the air filter yet but I'm sure it's an ACDelco. Any issues with leaving this? I've never been too picky about air filters - maybe that's just out of ignorance though. If there's a specific Skyactiv spec it'd be interested in learning about it.

I found all the TSBs and will do a more detailed inspection next weekend when the weather is better. But a quick check shows everything looks pretty dry under there. It also seems these motors have a nice layout. Everything looks fairly accessible and spaced out without a lot of clutter. When the time comes for more significant service, my knuckles will appreciate that!

⋯ I'm definitely doing an oil change soon. The ACDelco filter is a PF1237 which doesn't meet the spec. The dealership didn't have any 0W20 in bottles (only drums!). I might go a different route, so thanks for the SP/GF-6 recommendations.
Well, based on “general” cross reference there’re 172 replacement oil filters for MAZDA PE01-14-302, and AC-Delco PF1237 is one of them. It fits. ;)

⋯ Battery is a group 35, so that should be fine. I haven't physically looked at the air filter yet but I'm sure it's an ACDelco. Any issues with leaving this? I've never been too picky about air filters - maybe that's just out of ignorance though. If there's a specific Skyactiv spec it'd be interested in learning about it.
I’m not too picky on air filters too, but I’d at least open up the air box and check out the model number of AC-Delco air filter making sure it’s for Mazda CX-5. I usually use the cheapest cabin filter, but I do get OEM air filter for the engine. :unsure:

Do the ATF drain and fill if you don’t believe the ATF is the life-time fluid.
Forgot to ask about this. How would I know? There are no records of this ever being changed. The manual says "lifetime" but that seems relative. My idea of a lifetime is 200k+ miles. Whereas the schedule in the manual stops at 60k IIRC.

I was chatting with the guy at the dealer parts desk. He said all he ever sees are brake jobs and oil changes. Nothing major. He told me to "just keep up with maintance and you'll be fine". He then added, "oh, and don't touch the transmission fluid, it's good for life".

The theory I've heard is you either change it every 60k or so, or leave it forever. If you let it go too long, and then change it, you risk flushing debris around or something? Not really sure but it sounds good. I've never touched the ATF in my Scion TC (again, possibly out of ignorance) and that's at 185k with no issues.

Back