Havoline oil w/ Moly?

:
CX-5 + Nissan Versa Hatchback
I'm going to stop using my dealer for oil changes but I want to keep using the same brand and type they was using.

2014 CX-5 2.5L with about 60,000 mile. On the dealer invoices it stated HV0W20 SYN OIL CHEVRON.

So I don't know if the dealer oil had Moly in it. What would you guys best guess be?

I was planning to start using Havoline ProDS 0W-20 Full Synthetic Motor Oil.
I don't think this has any Moly.

Do you guys approve of the ProDS oil for the CX-5?

I'm going to stop using my dealer for oil changes but I want to keep using the same brand and type they was using.

2014 CX-5 2.5L with about 60,000 mile. On the dealer invoices it stated HV0W20 SYN OIL CHEVRON.

So I don't know if the dealer oil had Moly in it. What would you guys best guess be?

I was planning to start using Havoline ProDS 0W-20 Full Synthetic Motor Oil.
I don't think this has any Moly.

Do you guys approve of the ProDS oil for the CX-5?
Actually what kind of oil to use on CX-5 is a personal preference. For SkyActiv-G naturally aspirated 2.5L some people like Mobil 1 Advanced Fuel Economy 0W-20 but others like Pennzoil Platinum 0W-20. I personally like Castrol Edge 0W-20, although I’m using Mazda moly 0W-20 oil on my CX-5 since new.

As long as it’s name brand 0W-20 or 5W-30 full synthetic oil, it should meet Mazda’s API SN、ACEA A5/B5、or ILSAC GF-V requirements, and they all will be fine to use.

Yes, Havoline ProDS 0W-20 full synthetic oil contains very small amount of molybdenum if any.

Thanks yrwei52 they actually used Castrol on the first oil change then charge over to Havoline after that, so they never did put any Mazda brand oil in the car.

Thanks yrwei52 they actually used Castrol on the first oil change then charge over to Havoline after that, so they never did put any Mazda brand oil in the car.
No, dealers will use cheapest bulk oil available to them. Apparently your dealer got better deal from Havoline supplier hence they changed the oil from Castrol. Mazda moly 0W-20 oil is more expensive and many Mazda dealers don’t even carry it. My Mazda dealer would use Mazda moly for oil change if the customer asks for it and is willing to pay additional $10.

Frick and Frack the tappet brothers (from PBS radio) opined that any oil will work (except diesel type oils) be they dino or synthetic! A long time ago I was a mech in an AMC dealer (tells you how old I am) and I agree to an extent. Engineering has advanced a lot since those days. The main thing I would consider is the weight recommended in the owners manual. Tolerances have gotten a lot tighter. Also change it regularly be it mileage or time.

Frick and Frack the tappet brothers (from PBS radio) opined that any oil will work (except diesel type oils) be they dino or synthetic! A long time ago I was a mech in an AMC dealer (tells you how old I am) and I agree to an extent. Engineering has advanced a lot since those days. The main thing I would consider is the weight recommended in the owners manual. Toleerances have gotten a lot tighter. Also change it regularly be it mileage or time.
Yes @shooter357 they have some very good knowledge. What is your opinion on changing between brands? Many years ago there was the consensus that you stay with the same brand oil for the life of the engine.

I was thinking about going back to the Castrol oil.

I would use Havoline in my lawn mower except that it's electric.

I think there are a number of high quality oils available that work great in Mazdas.

I have used the Mazda 0w-20 and Castrol Edge but now prefer Pennzoil Synthetic 5w-30. I change the oil a little more often because I live in a mountainous, some times dusty area.

I wouldn't worry at all about changing brands but don't intentionally mix brands together.

Yes @shooter357 they have some very good knowledge. What is your opinion on changing between brands? Many years ago there was the consensus that you stay with the same brand oil for the life of the engine.

I was thinking about going back to the Castrol oil.
Changing between oil brands don't mean a thing. They all conform to certain specs. Heck there was a day long ago I used nothing but reclaimed oil in my cars.

The oil weight it the important thing. All oils meet or exceed the specs. That being said I use Castrol as well. It is so slippery, if I get some from my hand onto the door knob it stays very slippery, I have to use dawn on it not just wipe it with a towel. I just ordered two 5quarts oil from Walmart. Free two day delivery if total is $35 or more, it is terrific. There is a rollback right now on oil.
Castrol Edge
Castrol Extended Service

Last edited:
Thanks, @MyFirstMazda, I think I will go ahead and order the Castrol Edge from Walmart. It seems to have a higher following over the Havoline brand.

Thanks everyone for your posts.
AcGolfer

The Walmart online price for 5 qts of Castrol Edge 0W-20 is the same as Amazon Prime. Amazon was cheaper than the local Walmart and it was out of stock when I visited.

Back