For those eagerly awaiting Gen 3

Based on Mazda, 2023. They have publicly stated this.
What public statement from Mazda are you referencing? 2023 might be for new products (new engines, drivetrains, or vehicle models, etc), but not for redesigning of existing vehicle models. However, I'd like to read the published information to which you're referring. Vehicle redesigns and release dates are notoriously kept secret.

What public statement from Mazda are you referencing? 2023 might be for new products (new engines, drivetrains, or vehicle models, etc), but not for redesigning of existing vehicle models. However, I'd like to read the published information to which you're referring. Vehicle redesigns and release dates are notoriously kept secret.
I guess you didn't read through the thread? The first posting lists three sources. Here is one:

I guess you didn't read through the thread? The first posting lists three sources. Here is one:

Yes, I saw that article, and it said “All-New Models.” The CX-5 is not a new model. A re-design of the CX-5 is due in 2022, but Mazda may not have it until 2023… no one knows. The CX-30 (based on the Mazda3 platform) IS a new model with its release for model year 2020. That article talks about the new Skyactiv-X engine (in only 4% or cars now), new MX-30 electric vehicle, etc. It does not mention anything about when the CX-5 will be redesigned, because no one knows. They also mention a new “large high-end platform,” which could mean a replacement to the CX-9. Again, no specifics, just speculation about what Mazda might or might not do. Speculating on a continuation of a 5-year redesign cycle seems like a safe bet, but a bet nevertheless.

Speculating on a continuation of a 5-year redesign cycle seems like a safe bet, but a bet nevertheless.

Waiting on when the next gen cx-9 will come out or whatever this new large high end suv will be.

Waiting on when the next gen cx-9 will come out or whatever this new large high end suv will be.
The CX-9 was redesigned in 2016, so on a 5-year cycle it seems reasonable to think it will be redesigned for model year 2021.

Mazda sold 14,462 CX-5's in February 2020, compared to 13,379 in February 2019. Sales are up this year overall in North America. China is going to be the sht show that kill the global economy.

As for trim, it is not presented. My dealers say he is is selling lots of plain GT's, which surprised the heck out of me.

Actually, this virus and our terrible response to it in the USA will be the thing that kills the global economy. If Mazda sells a 1/2 of the cars in March of 2020 as they did in 2019, it will be a miracle.

Actually, this virus and our terrible response to it in the USA will be the thing that kills the global economy. If Mazda sells a 1/2 of the cars in March of 2020 as they did in 2019, it will be a miracle.
Really it is the entire western worlds poor response. Can't really pin this on the US... In fact, if China had done a better job containing initially it possibly wouldn't have escaped SE Asia.

Has there been any talk lately of a new Mazda BT truck that might look like one of these:

2020-mazda-bt-50.jpg

Mazda-BT-50-2020-00211-640x384.jpg

I was looking at this Qatar dealership's site.
They sell the BT-50.

I was unaware that Mazda still made pickup trucks.

Last edited:
I want to know if the driving experience is as nice as their cars.

I want to know if the driving experience is as nice as their cars.

I'd trade in my CX-5 on one of these potential new "BT" models, in a New York minute, if they rode as well as a CX-5 AND looked like it from the front end!!

Last edited:
I was looking at this Qatar dealership's site.
They sell the BT-50.

I was unaware that Mazda still made pickup trucks.

The current Mazda BT50 which is available overseas in Europe, Asia, Australia and Qatar, etc, are based on an older Isuzu design. Mazda Australia says that their BT50 is due for a redesign based on the new Isuzu D-Max but not until 2021. Although the new D-Max does NOT have anything looking vaguely like a CX-5 looking front end (as you can see from the picture below), maybe Mazda will just keep most of the Isuzu body and drivetrain but change the front end.

1585004186795.png

Last edited:
Looks like a good competitor to the Honda Ridgeline except the motor- a weak 164hp 2.5l 4 banger. If they made it with the 2.5L Turbo power train it would be a decent runner.

Looks like a good competitor to the Honda Ridgeline except the motor- a weak 164hp 2.5l 4 banger. If they made it with the 2.5L Turbo power train it would be a decent runner.

The new Isuzu D-Max will come back with the identical power choices however precisely what it has listed below the hood depends on the market. Some trading markets will obtain a 1.9-liter turbodiesel engine which altered the out-of-date 2.5-liter version when the version was lately current. This engine creates 163 HP as well as 360 Nm of torque. In Australia, the D-Max will be powered by the 3.-liter turbodiesel. This system offers 174 HP and also torque of 430 Nm.

I expect that a diesel version of the Mazda BT50 would not be destined for the North American market, if indeed we even see a new Mazda BT50 here, as the diesel version of the CX-5 has been a bust to date.

From everything I hear the current CX-5 is nearly Letter perfect in its operation. So it would seem Mazda need only dizzy up the infotainment for 2021 and this generation will continue to thrive for 3 more years. Maybe throw in a panoramic roof if that's engineeringly easy to pull.

There are rumor's that Mazda is looking to update the powertrain in the 2021 CX-5. Many people are speculating that Mazda may introduce a gasoline hybrid specifically for the North American market. It could be similar to the CX-30’s mild hybrid drivetrain, but with more displacement, such as 2.5 liter engine, to power a larger crossover like the CX-5.

A CX-50 or CX-60 could be added to the 2021 lineup, some months ahead of the next generation CX-5. The cars would share the same architecture and engines. It can be thought of as a crossover-coupe rather than an SUV. It will be manufactured alongside a Toyota SUV at Mazda's and Toyota's forthcoming US plant in Huntsville, Alabama.

Mazda is also working on a new large-vehicle architecture with a six-cylinder engine for 2023. The price is set significantly above the current lineup, with the carmaker aggressively pursuing new customers who would be interested in Toyota's Lexus luxury line, for example.

Mazda is also working on a new large-vehicle architecture with a six-cylinder engine for 2023. The price is set significantly above the current lineup, with the carmaker aggressively pursuing new customers who would be interested in Toyota's Lexus luxury line, for example.
Check this thread I started in The Lounge about my sales guy saying the inline 6 is gonna be turbo and Mazda design bleeding into Lexus.

Back