2020 CR-V Hybrid

Since Mazda has never really been focused on high fuel mileage, I expect they will do little or nothing to counter Honda.

Since Mazda has never really been focused on high fuel mileage, I expect they will do little or nothing to counter Honda.

If they keep doing what they're doing, their demise may come sooner than later. Let's hope the Mazda/Toyota partnership changes that.

Crazy, that 1.5T was already getting great gas mileage. I wonder what the MPG will be with the hybrid now...

I believe they will have some form of hybrid out of the Toyota partnership. Who knows though.

So... theyre taking an engine that already has known oil dilution issues, and putting it in an application where its even less likely to ever get up to full operating temperature?

Yeah...

So... they*re taking an engine that already has known oil dilution issues, and putting it in an application where it*s even less likely to ever get up to full operating temperature?

Yeah...

Larger displacement at 2.0 so it should heat up quicker. Haven't heard of isues with Accord hybrid system. This CRV Hybrid is probably tops on our list now for 2021.

Mazda's response needs to be a 2.5 Skyactiv-X with 215 HP and may not match mpg figures but MUST be cheaper MSRP. Better yet 2.0 Skyactiv-X Turbo at 220HP.

Updated CRV looks nice with some exterior/interior upgrades. Can't stand that fake wood trim around the console. I guess it might appeal to older people.

What? Mazda's advertising was highest mpg by a non hybrid system when 2.0 Sky G was released. Gen1 was in both 2.0 and 2.5L really fuel efficient. Gen2 is where mpgs went worse than Gen1. Now the 2019 Mazda 3 is 27 city and 35 highway which is worse than Accord / Camry which are a size larger.

So... they*re taking an engine that already has known oil dilution issues, and putting it in an application where it*s even less likely to ever get up to full operating temperature?

Yeah...

CRV hybrid is going to have same drivetrain as Accord hybrid which does not use 1.5T. It uses a 40% thermally efficient 2 liter NA engine and it does not have a transmission in true sense. Upto 44 mph it will be a direct drive as an EV with battery or engine acting as a generator. Above 44 it will be directly coupled to the engine or running on battery (if situations allow).
1.5T will replace the old 2.4 as standard engine available in base model form. Honda has a very sketchy past with its IMA system having a large number of failures. Think old ILX and Civic Hybrids which had 15% failure rate on batteries. But this and the new Insight are based on 2014-16 Accord Hybrid drivetrain.

CRV hybrid is going to have same drivetrain as Accord hybrid which does not use 1.5T. It uses a 40% thermally efficient 2 liter NA engine and it does not have a transmission in true sense. Upto 44 mph it will be a direct drive as an EV with battery or engine acting as a generator. Above 44 it will be directly coupled to the engine or running on battery (if situations allow).
1.5T will replace the old 2.4 as standard engine available in base model form. Honda has a very sketchy past with its IMA system having a large number of failures. Think old ILX and Civic Hybrids which had 15% failure rate on batteries. But this and the new Insight are based on 2014-16 Accord Hybrid drivetrain.

The 2.0 engine in Honda's hybrid system also isn't direct injected like the 1.5T. It uses port injection so there should be little to no issue with oil dilution or carbon buildup.

I'm more curious as to how they're going to implement AWD. I think it'll probably be a mechanical connection to the back wheels but I do like Toyota's solution of electric motors driving the back wheels for the better torque off the line. Off-road performance suffers but I don't care about that at all.

Larger displacement at 2.0 so it should heat up quicker. Haven't heard of isues with Accord hybrid system. This CRV Hybrid is probably tops on our list now for 2021.

Mazda's response needs to be a 2.5 Skyactiv-X with 215 HP and may not match mpg figures but MUST be cheaper MSRP. Better yet 2.0 Skyactiv-X Turbo at 220HP.

Why do that. Mazda's MO these days is "but we're a legitimate luxury brand, honest!!!!111!"

Hybrid's don't really impress me. In the real world the cost of running one doesn't include the battery replacement. Batteries no matter what kind lose their ability to load what some call a "full" charge over time and lose efficiency. The power rating of the combining engines is suspect also. Hybrids just aren't a viable option until battery technology improves no matter how much we want it to work.

Hybrid's don't really impress me. In the real world the cost of running one doesn't include the battery replacement. Batteries no matter what kind lose their ability to load what some call a "full" charge over time and lose efficiency. The power rating of the combining engines is suspect also. Hybrids just aren't a viable option until battery technology improves no matter how much we want it to work.

I'm sure Toyota doesn't mind. Dealers can't keep the new RAV4 Hybrid and have waiting lists for them:

https://www.torquenews.com/6626/2019-toyota-rav4-hybrid-craze-sweeping-nation-will-you-get-yours

IIRC, Mazda has a sharing agreement with Toyota.

Regardless, they will do something sooner or later.

They inked an agreement with Toyota in 2017 to jointly develop "next generation vehicles," including: HEV (using existing Toyota technology); EV; Plug-in HEV; Mild HEV; and what they call Range Extender. This from their FY18 financials (year ended March 2018).

The CRV is a really close competitor to the Grand Touring. The hybrid and the Signature / Reserve are going in opposite directions.

The CX-5 now has two major competitors pushing 40 MPG and interiors that may not be better but aren't far away. Personally, I really like the CX-5 looks but the MPG, and being able to find a dealer, beat the extra horsepower, and probably, really, not a huge handling advantage.

Hybrids have very little appeal to me. Gas is 2.60 a gallon as I type this. I don't need an inferior AWD system and a lot of extra complexity to save a few hundred dollars in fuel per year (along with a higher payment). If I'm going electric, which is inevitable in the coming years, I want to go with a full EV.

Back