2019 CX-5 North American powertrain option (poll)

2019 Powertrains

• 2.5T gas from the CX-9 and 6

Votes: 20 50.0%
  • 2.2TT diesel

Votes: 2 5.0%
  • BOTH!

Votes: 12 30.0%
  • Neither- underdeliverance is Mazda's middle name

Votes: 6 15.0%

• Total voters
:
'16.5 JBM CX-5 AWD GT tech, '19 Veloster N
Poll: OK with MY2019 fast approaching and speculation(what else can you do when you're a Mazda fan) rampant let's do a quickie poll shall we?
Will we see:

A) The 2.5T engine as seen in the CX-9 and more recently 6

B) The long rumored (and awaited by well me, JR and Jedi anyway) 2.2 Skyactiv Diesel

or

C) BOTH!! (Presumably in addition to the existing tried and true 2.5NA)

or

D) NEITHER- Mazda just likes to stir the rumor mill but seems to have a strong tendency to underdeliver

Umm... isn't there supposed to be polling buttons (uhm)

You should also qualify the remark "Mazda just likes to stir the rumor mill but seems to have a strong tendency to underdeliver' to Mazda North America as Mazda Australia delivers pretty consistently!

I didn't mean any disrespect - just saying what I did since this is an international forum aka members from around the world

Sorry :(

Title of thread is North American powertrain options..my (non-pg and since deleted)objection was to how quickly you called me out on it..your m247 dedication is actually starting to worry me a lil:) ~2 mins to tell me I dicked it up yet still no vote? What gives?

Last edited:
My guess is "C".

Regarding the Diesel though for the U.S, I feel it's more about the California certification than it being up to Mazda. Yes Mazda can modify the engine to meet California standards but that's a very big task or set of modifications if they use that same engine for the rest of the world.

I would expect/hope they would have sorted that out by now.

Title of thread is North American powertrain options..my (non-pg and since deleted)objection was to how quickly you called me out on it..your m247 dedication is actually starting to worry me a lil:) ~2 mins to tell me I dicked it up yet still no vote? What gives?

I actually voted around the time of my second post!

^The diesel has gotten CARB certification- presumably just waiting on the EPA

Closer to 3 but I think its biggest threat right now is the 2.5t for logistical reasons..3 powertrain options has me quite cautiously optimistic about hitting the trifecta and right now and if it were my $ or ass on the line and I'm on MazdaNAs board my vote is 2.5t being both more profitable(strictly unit sales wise) and more impactful in taking the brand upscale..somewhat unfortunately for me.

Last edited:
CX-5 is just too portly for that motor..now the 3- that should be upcharge motor in the 3 100%

Voted A. Wanted to vote D just because I like that word: underdeliverance.

We will see promises for the CX-5D, and a rumor about the 2.5T, and maybe by the end of 2019 MIGHT see the CX-5D. Then again, where's mah 2019 RX9 you slacking bastards?

https://www.caranddriver.com/features/2019-mazda-rx-9-25-cars-worth-waiting-for-feature
SkyActiv 2.5T will be available for 2019 Japanese CX-5. It should be easy for Mazda to make it available on 2019 CX-5 for US market.

IMO, Mazda should add turbo to its SkyActiv-G 2.0L for smaller vehicles such as the CX-5 manly for fuel economy consideration. Diesel is dead to US market, especially Mazda can only offer revised version with diesel exhaust fluid (DEF) which has been known to be costly for long-term maintenance.

The best engine option is an engine with improved thermal efficiency which offers more power and more fuel economy. SkyActiv-X is a good option originally with Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition (HCCI) technology. But now the SkyActiv-X is no longer HCCI but SPCCI, Spark Plug Controlled Compression Ignition. Mazda has to add spark plugs and super charger, which defeated the simplicity of HCCI, but added complexity of switchover between spark ignition and compression ignition.

On the other hand, Toyota's new Dynamic Force naturally aspirated I4 has one of the best thermal efficiency in the industry without any added complexity.

Last edited:
IMO, Mazda should add turbo to its SkyActiv-G 2.0L for smaller vehicles such as the CX-5 manly for fiel economy consideration.

Boring.

The best engine option is an engine with improved thermal efficiency which offers more power and more fuel economy. SkyActiv-X is a good option originally with Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition (HCCI) technology. But now the SkyActiv-X is no longer HCCI but SPCCI, Spark Plug Controlled Compression Ignition. Mazda has to add spark plugs and super charger, which defeated the simplicity of HCCI, but added complexity of switchover between spark ignition and compression ignition.

On the other hand, Toyota's new Dynamic Force naturally aspirated I4 has one of the best thermal efficiency in the industry without any added complexity.

There you go again. Still waiting to hear of all these problems with 2018's and the CD. Can't say I've seen any threads yet.

Anyway, I'll go ahead and vote A as an "optimistic option", not that I particularly care though as I have no intentions of upgrading.

I don't see diesel anytime soon.

EDIT: Well I guess I won't be voting. Clicked "View Results" and now it won't let me go back and vote.

Last edited:
I don't even own a CX-5 and I got an honorable mention in the 1st post. Still not sure if that's a good or a bad thing. (rofl2)
Alright, that aside I honestly think the 2.5T is destined for the CX-5, it would just make sense given Mazda's recent moves. I worry about what it does to the fleet's overall MPG ratings (given how great they've been the last couple years running) but maybe with the Toyota / Mazda hybrids coming soon Mazda isn't too worried?

of course, I'd love to finally see the unicorn CX-5 (AWD 2.2TT SkyActiv Diesel) but I'm starting to lose faith.
but what the hell, I'm voting for BOTH!

Miata 2 litre in CX5. 180 hp and 150 tq. 30 mpg combined. Do it Mazda.

CX-5 is just too portly for that motor..now the 3- that should be upcharge motor in the 3 100%

Back in the day, the CX-5 initally came with the 2.0L. Then Earthicans complained so Mazda released the 2.5L

(iagree) with Monterra, which ever 2.0L is out there (updated Miata, SkyActiv-X), I believe it won't be enough for the CX-5.

Back