Towing with the 2.5T

chuyler1

goes to eleven
:
2013 CX-9
Has anyone put the new 2.5T to the test with towing? I've been towing with my '13 V6 and just curious how the smaller engine handles the load.

Well yes, it's rated for it, but has anyone done any towing? Does it hunt for gears? Does it fall on its face when you start climbing hills? Etc.

Well yes, it's rated for it, but has anyone done any towing? Does it hunt for gears? Does it fall on its face when you start climbing hills? Etc.

someone mentioned that the transmission does have an issue with hunting gears.

I dont think you will have any problems towing otherwise, the power delivery of this engine is good.

I bought a 2300lbs pop up camper about a month ago. I have had no problems on the interstate, although I do limit my speed to 65mph to conserve gas. Car still has plenty get up and go if need be, I do not notice it hunting for gears. Consumption has dropped from about 26.5 on the highways to about 17 mpg.
I did install a progressive brake controller, no problems there.

For towing all you really need is a healthy punch of torque from a relatively low rpm and good ventilated brakes/grippy tires. The 2.5T makes more torque then the older v6 and at a lower rpm, so it will be good for towing.

Consumption has dropped from about 26.5 on the highways to about 17 mpg.
I did install a progressive brake controller, no problems there.
I struggle to get much over 19 with my V6. As far as towing goes, I get maybe 14 cruising at 65-70 up to the mountains. The sad part? We took my wife's '15 Jeep Wrangler the last time and it it got 18mpg. The Jeep is a stick shift and I could plop it in 5th and set the cruise control.

I don't "need" to upgrade the CX9 right now, but I was just curious how they did, for when they start popping up certified-pre-owned. I've got 30k left on my current CPO warranty.

Midnight Rider, did you install the heavy-duty tranny cooler, larger capacity radiator and fan that comprise the factory-installed towing package? Take it from me, you'll never know that you're burning up your transmission without a tranny temp gauge added to the dash. (Been there, done that: ouch.)

Midnight Rider, did you install the heavy-duty tranny cooler, larger capacity radiator and fan that comprise the factory-installed towing package? Take it from me, you'll never know that you're burning up your transmission without a tranny temp gauge added to the dash. (Been there, done that: ouch.)

I was under the impression that the transmission does not have oil cooler lines

Back