Replacing Cabin Air Filter -- what a PITA

:
2019 CX5 Reserve AWD
Damn, went to replace the CAF today. Thought it would be a snap. Pushed the two sides in trying to release the holds, no good. Cheap plastic warping and twisting but no go. Pushed in the center of the box at the rear and started to make some headway. Glove box came down and was able to remove it. New filter was a snap.
Putting everything back together, not so. You have to line up the little snaps at the bottom of the box then try to angle the box back in. In the process I pushed the little arm on the right hand side back into the little slot it comes out of. Finally dug it back out and got everything hooked back up. I pray that nothing starts to rattle.
You can see where Mazda went cheap on this design. Crappy thin plastic that I'm sure will eventually break or get twisted out of shape.

This is one area where the CR-V beats the CX-5. I can change the filter in my wife's CR-V in 30 seconds.

Next time pay the dealer $60. I kid, I kid.

Hmm, I thought most here had posted it's a simple couple minute thing not worthy of a crv one up...

wlong how many miles on odo? What made you decide to change filters?

I just left the glove box dangling/hanging... no need to completely detach.
Now two in the row posting that changing the cabin air filter on CX-5 is not a 30 second job like many have been saying ⋯ (uhm)

It takes 2 minutes. Watch a YouTube video on mazda 3 2008 cabin filter. Than complain about the cx5.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

Now two in the row posting that changing the cabin air filter on CX-5 is not a 30 second job like many have been saying ⋯ (uhm)

you could do it in 30 seconds... but that seems like an unnecessary hurry. I just found no need to detach when inspecting the filter... of course you should remember to empty the glove box first.

(yes)

wlong how many miles on odo? What made you decide to change filters?

Just knew it was something that should be done every year or in my case every other year. 12k on the odo, two yrs old. Dirty as hell. Should probably change about every 9k miles.

It takes 2 minutes. Watch a YouTube video on mazda 3 2008 cabin filter. Than complain about the cx5.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

Why would I watch a video on a 2008 Maz 3 when I have a 2016 CX-5. Would a Boeing mechanic watch a video for a piper cherokee.

And it's "then" not "than".

Just knew it was something that should be done every year or in my case every other year. 12k on the odo, two yrs old. Dirty as hell. Should probably change about every 9k miles.
No, your CAF is not dirty, but it's carbon CAF from factory which looks black even if it's brand new.

I had no trouble changing mine. I leave the climate control running permanently so at 12 months I just whizzed it in the bin. The old one was full of flies and black crud. I pondered on cleaning it but decided it wasn’t worth it. I could perhaps do it in 30 seconds in a race but ordinarily it would take 5 minutes or so.

I just left the glove box dangling/hanging... no need to completely detach.

This x10 although its much easier to do so for some reason on the Mazda6. I think its because of all the paperwork, makeup, and other stuff in my wife's CX-5 making the glove box heavy.

I thought 24k miles filter change was recommended. Funny thing the dealership I went to has a drawer​ of dirty air filters - they bring them to you and say this is your filter etc. Etc. So when I change mine i will die it pink - so I know if it's my filter or not.

Weird. Changed 2 yesterday, about 30 seconds each.

Damn, went to replace the CAF today. Thought it would be a snap. Pushed the two sides in trying to release the holds, no good. Cheap plastic warping and twisting but no go. Pushed in the center of the box at the rear and started to make some headway. Glove box came down and was able to remove it. New filter was a snap.
Putting everything back together, not so. You have to line up the little snaps at the bottom of the box then try to angle the box back in. In the process I pushed the little arm on the right hand side back into the little slot it comes out of. Finally dug it back out and got everything hooked back up. I pray that nothing starts to rattle.
You can see where Mazda went cheap on this design. Crappy thin plastic that I'm sure will eventually break or get twisted out of shape.

This is one area where the CR-V beats the CX-5. I can change the filter in my wife's CR-V in 30 seconds.

This is a joke right? I have changed my in cabin filter 6 times in the last 4 years. Each time in less than 20 seconds.

I was surprised how easy it was to replace. I followed the instructions in this video and definitely could do it in 30 seconds if the replacement filter was already opened. The video shows it in real time (except for when they got the new filter) and it took them 1 minute, 2 seconds with them moving slow as heck.
https://youtu.be/5JClIxAgqO4

I was surprised how easy it was to replace. I followed the instructions in this video and definitely could do it in 30 seconds if the replacement filter was already opened. The video shows it in real time (except for when they got the new filter) and it took them 1 minute, 2 seconds with them moving slow as heck.

Forgot to mention, replacement filter opened and ready to go!

The only way for this to be any easier (as shown in the video, I haven't done mine yet) would be to have someone else do it for you.

Back