What have you done to your MS3 today?

DISCLAIMER: I completely understand that I need to do a compression test.

My oil consumption is puzzling me- I had a sudden and huge decrease in fill intervals. I've been averaging 500 miles per quart, have been using T6 5W40 for almost 2,000 miles and suddenly, early last week I consumed a quart in ~275 miles. That's almost half of what I've been getting between fills. Now, I've checked it again and I'm going to be back at about 500 miles on this last quart. HOW!?!? PCV is new, no oil in charge piping, minimal oil film in intake/inlet. The smoking under WOT is also inconsistent and it's not terrible even at it's worst. I am getting a strong burning oil odor and faint smoking from the exhaust at extended idle now, but it's almost nothing and I have to be standing at the back of the car to even see it. Intermittently I'll get a strong sulfur order which I attribute to oil-soaked catalyst material causing it to breakdown. Maybe I should also do a backpressure test. That still doesn't explain the fluctuation in fill intervals... If it was a consistent decline, that I would understand, but to go from 500 miles per quart to 275 miles per quart and back to 500 miles per quart does not make sense. The car isn't organic, it doesn't heal itself. Only difference was a slight increase in temperature at the time the 275-mile quart went in, but it's been warm with the second soon-to-be-500-mile quart, so, again, there is a constant between these two, yet a vastly different mileage interval. Driving habits have been the same, and almost identical routes, roads and miles as I rarely deviate from my normal schedule. Ideas?

EDIT: I need to stop looking for unknowns when I have a known problem... I need to replace the turbocharger and go from there before anything else.

Last edited:
Yes, I think you've answered your own question. Everything points to oil getting past the turbo seals, entering the impeller side of the turbo and out the exhaust. If you still have a cat, most of it is getting burned. Turbo time.

I have some of the some symptoms. I thought replacing the PCV valve might be a solution for me, since I was in cleaning the intake valves. Nope. Turbo time for me, too. Probably a rebuilt K04, as I like its rapid spool and really don't need more than the 300 whp I have now.

Observations I've made over the past couple ofdays:
- If I start from the bottom of the gear and climb to the top, it smokes

- If I accelerate to mid throttle, hold RPM at 3,500-4,000 momentarily, then go WOT, it will NOT smoke.

Last edited:
Observations I've made over the past couple ofdays:
- If I start from the bottom of the gear and climb to the top, it smokes

- If I accelerate to mid throttle, hold RPM at 3,500-4,000 momentarily, then go WOT, it will NOT smoke.
That's the turbo going from no boost to full boost and side loading the shaft.
Thats when the oil seeps into the exhaust tract. End play will not heal itself as you mentioned. Believe i have tried !!
I have a spare K04 that needs a rebuild. I might have two. But i just saw the latest one in the garage last night

Just picked up and 08 speed 3 last week on a good deal. sold my protege!
There is a Protege wagon a work that really has me wanting one. Would look good next to my 07 speed 3.
Congrats on the buy !

Took out and then put back in my Buddies rear coilovers on his Miata NA6 yesterday. Had me wishing for spring to arrive !

Bought a used AP v2 last night and can't get to communicate with my ECU. Any ideas from anyone?? My obd works fine with any other scanner so I know it's not that.

You have anyone near you that you could swap the cable with? Other than that, I'd say it's the AP itself.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Tapatalk

Did you get the AP locally or purchased through a forum or group?

I'll give that a try. Thanks
Any luck?

Found an AWR PMM for sale. Waiting for the guy to PM me his PayPal info.

Haven't done much to the car other than calculate oil loss.

What kind of fuel economy are you guys getting?

Per my AP, my accumulated average stays between 17.2-18.6 with about 90% being city. Next time we take a short trip out of town, I think I'll reset it, install the fuel economy tune and see what I get on the highway.

Bought a used AP v2 last night and can't get to communicate with my ECU. Any ideas from anyone?? My obd works fine with any other scanner so I know it's not that.

The accessport has to be for a Mazda and it has to be unmarried from the previous vehicle before you can use it on yours. The fact that it communicates with the OBD is a sign it is a Mazda V2 but the previous owner probably left the tune on his car. He would have to use the AP to put his car back to stock and then send it back to you. If his car is gone he can contact Cobb and they may give him a discount on a new license, then he could re-sell the AP or if you contact Cobb they can provide you with a new license for $300. Since it is a V2 you may have to mail it in for them to reset it.

You can power it on via the USB cable and check the status of it as to whether it's married or unmarried.

Back