CX-9 is in running for SUV of the year

http://www.motortrend.com/news/mazda-cx-9-2017-suv-of-the-year-finalist/

Why do they keep bringing up the weak AC, I didn't think it was that bad at all during test drive.

Congrats, it beat out Lexus and Acura and BMW,

Looks like it has a shot, I don't see any of the other finalists come close to the CX9 styling

2017 SUV OF THE YEAR FINALISTS

Audi Q7
GMC Acadia All Terrain
Jaguar F-Pace
Mercedes-Benz GLC-Class
Tesla Model X
These known issues, insufficient AC and small turbo running-out-of-gas after 4,000 rpm, may cost CX-9 the title:

Then the desert heat began to cook our Mazdas, overtaxing the AC systems (other competitors had no such problems) and causing their turbos to lose boost. Grumbling started about a lack of places to store and recharge gear, about heavy steering feel on straight highways, and about front-drive torque steer. Overzealous auto-emergency braking startled several testers queuing at a stop. And the Real MPG test showed the front-drive CX-9 scored worse than the AWD version.

I think Motor Trend would pick either Jaguar F-Pace or Tesla Model X as their SUV of the Year. I personally would pick Jaguar F-Pace as it's the most beautiful SUV on the market right now IMHO.r

Last edited:
At this point, the "overzealous" emergency braking is the key issue that would keep me from buying a CX-9. I agree that it seems unlikely that MT will pick the Mazda.

I have had my 2016 CX9 for a month and have yet to experience the emergency breaking at all. I certainly would not call it "overzealous".

I have had my 2016 CX9 for a month and have yet to experience the emergency breaking at all. I certainly would not call it "overzealous".

Car and Driver, Consumer Reports, Motor Trend and Motor Week all said that they experienced emergency braking kicking in on occasion when there was no obstacle present. I would call that "overzealous".

Perhaps they had the sensitivity set for FAR. I've only had it stop me from parking once, when I pulled up to a spot where there was a bumper pole with a sign. It scared the beejezes out of me when I heard it kick in. I didn't see the "BRAKE" warning either.

Perhaps they had the sensitivity set for FAR. I've only had it stop me from parking once, when I pulled up to a spot where there was a bumper pole with a sign. It scared the beejezes out of me when I heard it kick in. I didn't see the "BRAKE" warning either.

I was thinking the same thing. We've had our CX-9 for about 4 months and 3600 miles. First thing I did was adjust all of the safety tech and put the sensitivity on the lowest settings. Not a single auto brake out of it(and yes its on). Some reviewers also say you can't adjust the height of the trunk either..but of course you can, they just don't know that. My guess is they are all leaving it at the default setting. On the AC, I think if you live in one of the hotter belts maybe that is an issue. In MA. we had a pretty hot August with plenty of days in the high 80's to mid 90's and my only complaint about the AC is that the fans are noisy when on at full blast. If you leave the climate in auto it seems like it keeps the fans at full blast all the time so I always chose to set the fan speed lower manually. You can still set the auto climate temperature with manual fan control. We didn't have a single complaint related to the vehicle being too hot. Regarding the motor, I love it. Seriously. The vehicle is so effortless and relaxed around town. It's not a drag strip SUV but personally I find the torque rich motor much more rewarding than the foot to the floor HP of naturally aspirated V6's. The only other SUV we drove where we liked the engine just as much was the 3.5 twin turbo Explorer. MDX, Highlander, Pilot, and V8 powered Durango all left like you really needed your foot in the throttle to get them moving. To each their own, but be sure to test drive and not just purchase on mag reviews. All that said I agree with the Volvo XC90. It was on my shopping list as well last year but we waited to see what the CX-9 was going to look like and drive like. I'm happy we did. If the CX-9 was not such a good looking and nice driving vehicle I think we would have shelled out about 58K for a XC90 Inscription with a couple of options. Instead I paid just under 43K for Signature CX-9 that is fully loaded. While I would certainly agree that many aspects of the XC90 are a cut above the CX-9(and most others). I didn't feel 15K better.

R

I shopped for a Highlander replacement on and off for a couple of years. Drove the Audi Q5, Volvo xc60 and 90, F-Pace and on and on. I never really considered the CX9. Then I read about it and took a drive or two. Wow I now own a Signature for the last month or so. I love everything about the car. The collision braking has never gone off prematurely, AC seems fine, seats are very comfortable and I'm getting the advertised EPA number. No faults that I have found.

I shopped for a Highlander replacement on and off for a couple of years. Drove the Audi Q5, Volvo xc60 and 90, F-Pace and on and on. I never really considered the CX9. Then I read about it and took a drive or two. Wow I now own a Signature for the last month or so. I love everything about the car. The collision braking has never gone off prematurely, AC seems fine, seats are very comfortable and I'm getting the advertised EPA number. No faults that I have found.

Same here. I purchased the first ever cx9 sell in Mexico City and I cannot be more happy with it. The only issue I had was the random reboot of InfoT system, but this is not happening since I remove sms/email sync.

There is a new firmware update fixing the issue in US (I don't know in MX) but I don't want to put the new firmware yet because I will lost the ability to enable - disable the tach in the HUD.

Before purchase I check the Nissan Pathfinder. I love the panoramic cameras, the big sunroof cristal and the ability to have heat seats in the 2nd row. But I don't like the CVT transmission and the interior looks like a 90`s design. A good SUV but the cx9 it's better with the Diesel-type torque, great MPG, an small high efficient DPT turbo able to give us 310 crazy lb ft torque since 2000 rpm! come on! this are numbers from twin turbo 300Hp cars or even some V8 engines! and you can get it even with regular gas? this is crazy!

The interior design and exterior lines are just amazing. everyone needs to look at our SUV. I'm very happy. And we get a very good cheap warranty extension and maintenances are cheap (50 - 120 USD a year) and needs to be done every year (no more visits to the dealer every 6 months).

Cool stuff everywhere!

Last edited:
looks like Mercedes GLC won SUV of the year ahead of Tesla X, Audi Q7, and F-Pace. CX-9 was not even mentioned - but against that class of cars, it would be hard to break into that group. still happy with our CX-9!

looks like Mercedes GLC won SUV of the year ahead of Tesla X, Audi Q7, and F-Pace. CX-9 was not even mentioned - but against that class of cars, it would be hard to break into that group. still happy with our CX-9!
Cx9 cannot compete vs such deluxe levels. I drove an Infiniti today and have lot of security features like auto brake when you are on reverse and rear sensors show you are getting to close to a car or wall.

The q7 have electric 3rd row etc. They put lot of fancy stuff. Of course this have a price.

Enviado desde mi Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge.

That's why I've been critical on Mazda North American Operations who is trying to minimize their cost by cutting down features to North American market. This's simply a "penny wise、pound foolish" decision! Love is a two-way street. You give me more and I'll like your product more! The 2nd-gen CX-5 seems to add some more amenities on par with other competitors in the same catagory. But how many we'll get in North American market is still a question we don't know! (boom08)

Unlike the Signature trim in the US, Australia's highest spec (Azami) doesn't have nappa leather, wood or aluminium trim, auto locking doors, tyre pressure sensors, chrome roof rails, led accent lighting inside or on the front grill or the light colored head liner. But on the flip side, Australia did get iStop and internet enabled traffic updates (if you subscribe) and I haven't heard any local grumbling about buggy MZD connect system software.
.... and this top spec AWD model 'only' cost me US$52K!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Unlike the Signature trim in the US, Australia's highest spec (Azami) doesn't have nappa leather, wood or aluminium trim, auto locking doors, tyre pressure sensors, chrome roof rails, led accent lighting inside or on the front grill or the light colored head liner. But on the flip side, Australia did get iStop and internet enabled traffic updates (if you subscribe) and I haven't heard any local grumbling about buggy MZD connect system software.
.... and this top spec AWD model 'only' cost me US$52K!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's a bummer panuara. That's a lot of features you're missing for 52K price tag. I mean for the top of the line Azami your features would be closer to the counterpart Signature.

Back