What did you pay for your CX-5?

2016.5 CX-5 Sport FWD MT
MSRP: $22,695
Negotiated Price: $21,192
Out-the-door: $22,762 after taxes/fees
$0 down, 0% financing for 60 months

I've picked back up my dealer negotiations in the last week, and I'm not finding much difference in price than I did back in July.

2016.5 CX-5 Grand Touring AWD with iActiveSense and Tech
MSRP: $34,030
Negotiated price: $31,419 + $599 Dealer Service Fee + TTL

There are 6 Mazda dealers in the metro area I'm working in, and this is about the lowest I can get negotiating through e-mails back and forth. One of the dealers mentioned that I can get an extra $1000 off if I finance through standard rate, but that discount becomes null and void if I take the 0.0% financing.

Thoughts? I really thought that at this late stage of the game, with the 2017 model being shown in literally 3 days and dealers receiving stock in a few months, I could do better than what I had found in July :/

Just got a Silver 2016.5 CX-5 AWD GT with the Tech Package.

Out the door: $31,999. Got 0% for 60 months

I've picked back up my dealer negotiations in the last week, and I'm not finding much difference in price than I did back in July.

2016.5 CX-5 Grand Touring AWD with iActiveSense and Tech
MSRP: $34,030
Negotiated price: $31,419 + $599 Dealer Service Fee + TTL

There are 6 Mazda dealers in the metro area I'm working in, and this is about the lowest I can get negotiating through e-mails back and forth. One of the dealers mentioned that I can get an extra $1000 off if I finance through standard rate, but that discount becomes null and void if I take the 0.0% financing.

Thoughts? I really thought that at this late stage of the game, with the 2017 model being shown in literally 3 days and dealers receiving stock in a few months, I could do better than what I had found in July :/

What is that dealer fee of 599? Including that your disco is around 5.88% - not impressive.
Do the dealers know its the same guy who contacted in July or are you using a different email?

Most importantly it seems you have time on your side. So just let the conversations with dealers go on email. Dont be too sad - its a waiting + luck game. I bought mine on a Saturday and got the best deal Sat morning.
I could have driven to dealer and he would have played the "Oops that was for a lower trim" but it was 29th and he needed to hit targets.
I got the color + trim combination for 12.23% discount off MSRP - plus few goodies. I hope its a good deal but no one knows.

So hang in there - GT's are harder to discount mine was a Touring. If I were to shop for a friend I would like to hit 10% and keep some

So hang in there - GT's are harder to discount mine was a Touring. If I were to shop for a friend I would like to hit 10% and keep some

I'd say that's a pretty accurate target. My deal ended up being about 10% off the sticker, out the door. I'd imagine once the 17 is on trucks about to hit their lots you'll be able to get a bit better, maybe 15% if you're timing it's right.

What is that dealer fee of 599? Including that your disco is around 5.88% - not impressive.
Do the dealers know its the same guy who contacted in July or are you using a different email?

Most importantly it seems you have time on your side. So just let the conversations with dealers go on email. Dont be too sad - its a waiting + luck game. I bought mine on a Saturday and got the best deal Sat morning.
I could have driven to dealer and he would have played the "Oops that was for a lower trim" but it was 29th and he needed to hit targets.
I got the color + trim combination for 12.23% discount off MSRP - plus few goodies. I hope its a good deal but no one knows.

Thank you for your advice!

I'm using a secondary e-mail with my real name. In July, I only worked with one dealer, who I am not working with now due to them pulling some shady things. I shot off e-mails to the other 6 in the area.

The $599 service fee I'm finding is par for the course here. Of the 3 dealers that sent me actual offer paperwork, two are at $599, one is at $590. The one I am e-mailing back and forth with the most, I sent an offer for $31,500 including all fees but not sales tax, and throwing in an extended warranty of some type. He countered with $31,419 + taxes and fees. Told him to let me know if his GM can come down further, mentioned that I had a trade-in. I tentatively am scheduled to get them to look at the trade-in this coming weekend, and he mentioned that "however much we are off on price, I can make up in your trade-in amount".

I do have time on my side, and this point I may just wait for the 2017, but I guess I can go this weekend and see what they have to say.

I should also mention that in my state, sales tax is 7.5%, so that's another couple thousand and change. The good thing is that the taxes value is the value of the sale minus the trade-in amount, so the more they can give me for that, the lower the amount that is taxed.

EDIT: I should also mention that the $31,419 is what they consider "E-Plan pricing" or employee pricing. Not sure how true that is or not

Last edited:
Sure, from the invoice.

Price $30,691
Sales tax(8.625%) $2,560.85
NYS inspection $10
NYS tire recycling fee? $12.50
Dealer application/processing fee $75
NYS registration/plate fee $65

Total cash price $33,409.60

Trade in $1,000
Mazda loyalty $500

Out the door at $31,909.60

I believe sticker when we walked in was at $33,800 or so + all the fees.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Sure, from the invoice.

Price $30,691
Sales tax(8.625%) $2,560.85
NYS inspection $10
NYS tire recycling fee? $12.50
Dealer application/processing fee $75
NYS registration/plate fee $65

Total cash price $33,409.60

Trade in $1,000
Mazda loyalty $500

Out the door at $31,909.60

I believe sticker when we walked in was at $33,800 or so + all the fees.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

but I guess I can go this weekend and see what they have to say.

Biggest mistake you can make is let a dealer know how bad you want the car - one of the ways is to walk in. Never walk in without an email offer you are ready to buy, you can do minute negotiation but its very hard to get a price down unless you want to go all dirty which I don't.
Frankly, I was looking at Rav4 / Rogue and CX-5 - I was like the best deal gets me that brand. I did not even respond to few dealers and then their manager sent me an email and i responded.
Truth is if in your locale CX-5s are selling hot then you have a very small likelihood of getting a deal - then go with your gut and buy the car.
But i know this - if you walk in you are basically half sold. They will play on your emotions.

After hearing stories here I admit - I got really lucky but if a dealer needs to make sale to hit a target for month / quarter - he will try to do a deal even at lesser margins.

I am looking for a 2016.5 GT AWD with Tech package.

MSRP $31,925

I am in the bay area and a dealer just sent me a quote over email which seems pretty compelling.

$27847 plus tax, dmv and $80 doc fee

Should be around $30.5K OTD

I do not need the car in a hurry. Do you think I should wait towards the end of the year to put more pressure on the dealer to go further down or is this really good considering the new model was just announced.

MSRP $31,925

I am in the bay area and a dealer just sent me a quote over email which seems pretty compelling.

I do not need the car in a hurry. Do you think I should wait towards the end of the year to put more pressure on the dealer to go further down or is this really good considering the new model was just announced.

12.7% on MSRP is a good deal. But I can't say with confidence because ofcourse the big thing is 2017 was released. It has so much going for it I believe 16.5 will be discounted like hell.

Try this - tell him you are interested in 17s and hang up. Wait and see if he does more.

Other than that 12.7 is one of the best discounts on this forum atleast. easily puts you in the best 10% rates if not best 5.

Biggest mistake you can make is let a dealer know how bad you want the car - one of the ways is to walk in. Never walk in without an email offer you are ready to buy, you can do minute negotiation but its very hard to get a price down unless you want to go all dirty which I don't.
Frankly, I was looking at Rav4 / Rogue and CX-5 - I was like the best deal gets me that brand. I did not even respond to few dealers and then their manager sent me an email and i responded.
Truth is if in your locale CX-5s are selling hot then you have a very small likelihood of getting a deal - then go with your gut and buy the car.
But i know this - if you walk in you are basically half sold. They will play on your emotions.

After hearing stories here I admit - I got really lucky but if a dealer needs to make sale to hit a target for month / quarter - he will try to do a deal even at lesser margins.

I took your advice. Told the dealer I'm working the closest with via e-mail (and the one that was to evaluate my trade tomorrow) that the 2017 and all of the changes are more compelling to me and I'm in no rush to purchase, so he would have to get more aggressive on pricing, or I would wait until the Spring.

Since their dealer fee is $599, I asked for 12.5% off of MSRP. I would have asked for 10% if it wasn't as high. Told him that would make me come in (I think I worked it out to be $29,900, so I said that was my offer. This is for a Soul Red AWD GT with iActiveSense + Tech, plus a bunch of standard accessories (all weather floor mats, cargo mat, wheel locks, bumper guard).

He said we were "getting further away" from what we could do. So I left it at that.

Thanks for your advice!

MSRP $31,925

That's a very good price! You need to see if any incentives have been applied to that price. Sometimes you have to pry that info out of these sales people. The best that I've been able to do as of yesterday (email/phone negotiations), pitting ~10 different Chicagoland dealers against each other, is $31,500 out the door (with no incentives applied as of yet) for a 2016.5 CX-5 Grand Touring AWD Titanium/black with no packages or options. I'll be making a decision on dealers next week when I go shopping in person.

That's a very good price! You need to see if any incentives have been applied to that price. Sometimes you have to pry that info out of these sales people. The best that I've been able to do as of yesterday (email/phone negotiations), pitting ~10 different Chicagoland dealers against each other, is $31,500 out the door (with no incentives applied as of yet) for a 2016.5 CX-5 Grand Touring AWD Titanium/black with no packages or options. I'll be making a decision on dealers next week when I go shopping in person.

Good point. Clearly, I am new at this :)

I checked and the dealer said:

"It includes customer $500 cash for standard financing/cash purchase and Mazda $500 cash for Mazda standard financing and $500 auto show rebate.
If you currently own a Mazda, there may be additional $500 rebate."

Personally, I am interested in something like 0% APR for 36 months which seems to be a promotion on the Mazda USA website and is also listed on the dealer's website. However, I think they will most likely have a difference OTD for it. This is actually so weird since that means its *actually NOT* 0% APR, its just games :)

"It includes customer $500 cash for standard financing/cash purchase and Mazda $500 cash for Mazda standard financing and $500 auto show rebate.

Personally, I am interested in something like 0% APR for 36 months which seems to be a promotion on the Mazda USA website and is also listed on the dealer's website. However, I think they will most likely have a difference OTD for it. This is actually so weird since that means its *actually NOT* 0% APR, its just games :)

If you're comparing a bunch of quotes it's a challenge getting all the sales people on the same page so that you can compare apples to apples. In dealing with 10 or so over e-mail I got some that were straightforward and told me everything right off the bat. Then there were others who flat out lied to me. I've got it down to three now.

If you're comparing a bunch of quotes it's a challenge getting all the sales people on the same page so that you can compare apples to apples. In dealing with 10 or so over e-mail I got some that were straightforward and told me everything right off the bat. Then there were others who flat out lied to me. I've got it down to three now.

Yup, you are right. I have emailed four so far and its amazing how much difference there is amongst them.

The best one (whose quote I mentioned earlier) told me that with 0% APR financing the 2016.5 GT AWD with Tech package would be $28,847. That comes out to be $31,822 OTD.

I've not heard of the $500 auto show rebate/incentive. Do you have any details on this?

This sounds rather fishy to me,

"It includes customer $500 cash for standard financing/cash purchase and Mazda $500 cash for Mazda standard financing and $500 auto show rebate. If you currently own a Mazda, there may be additional $500 rebate."

I've been scrutinizing all Mazda incentives very closely and from what I've seen there is no $500 incentive that covers both standard rate financing and a cash purchase. Plus the above seems to offer the $500 standard rate financing incentive twice. You had better keep an eye on that and get it sorted out. There is a $500 customer cash incentive (you can get this with a cash or financing purchase) and a separate $500 standard rate financing incentive.

I've not heard of the $500 auto show rebate/incentive. Do you have any details on this?

This sounds rather fishy to me,

"It includes customer $500 cash for standard financing/cash purchase and Mazda $500 cash for Mazda standard financing and $500 auto show rebate. If you currently own a Mazda, there may be additional $500 rebate."

I've been scrutinizing all Mazda incentives very closely and from what I've seen there is no $500 incentive that covers both standard rate financing and a cash purchase. Plus the above seems to offer the $500 standard rate financing incentive twice. You had better keep an eye on that and get it sorted out. There is a $500 customer cash incentive (you can get this with a cash or financing purchase) and a separate $500 standard rate financing incentive.

The two dealers who gave me the lowest quotes both mentioned this incentive so I am pretty sure its a real thing. Another dealer emailed me couple of days ago telling me that there is a "new" incentive mentioning this particular one.

I am not planning to buy on cash but instead use 0% APR financing. For that, they (the two dealers) removed the two $500 dollar standard financing related incentives but still had the auto show one intact.

Got quoted just over $31,000 OTD for a 2016.5 CX-5 GT FWD with Tech.
I'm in CA so the tax was about 10% (yikes).

I think it's a pretty decent deal but my experience at the dealership was such a pain.
I purchased my current Mazda3 there and know some of the veteran salespeople so I was hoping to just crunch some numbers but ended up getting a relatively new or inexperienced guy who kept trying to give me the typical salesman routine.
"Let's test drive the car."
"I can't give you a price unless we go make sure we have the exact car. Let's go check it out."
"Blah Blah"
He didn't even know that the base trim has the 2.0 engine and said all CX-5s have the 2.5. It was no surprise when I saw on the office whiteboard that he had zero sales for the month.

Anyways, I'd be much more keen on pulling the trigger with that price if it had been a smooth and easy time. Looking around some of your guys' prices, it seems like it's a pretty decent deal but nothing amazing. (was hoping for $30K)

Back