How many would upgrade to the 2017 CX5 if.....

I barely get 25mpg on road trips now. Why would I want a cheap suv that got worse mileage and required premium and was still in the "not fast" category? It's like an expensive hooker with a butterface that also has no body,lol

It also blew up your engine faster, LOL.

Its ok Chris, not everyone is able to drive stick, doesn't make you any less of a driver.

1.GT cx-5s do not come in a MT.
2.Tuning had nothing to with the spun bearing whatsoever, so don't go spreading false information. It was caused by an oiling issue resultant from when I was doing turbo trials.
3. Also dave has been posting on mz247 since before ovt appeared in the cx5 forum.
4. I have over 80000 miles on an OVTune, across two cars and 3 engines with only better performance to show for it.

Don't come on here spreading false information, lies and assumptions. Knowing the platform helps too.

Last edited:
On performance and mpg my corolla(2013) and cx-5 give me comparable mpg with similar driving. But now the corolla does a lot of highway miles and returns better mpg and response in city driving as well.. like 3 mpg more.

I find it funny how people driving 4 year old cars(i.e any CX-5) are seriously thinking about 'upgrading' to the latest model all over a few extra HP. Seriously? Is it really worth the depreciation hit just for a few HP and maybe a couple of new options? New cars depreciate the most during the first 4 years. Don't be one of these brainwashed fools who thinks trades out their cars every 4 years. Drive you're existing CX-5s and enjoy them for a long time. Last car payment I had($500) was in July 2005. Once that was paid off I starting paying 'myself' that car payment in the form of an Index and have built-up nearly 100k.

I find it funny how people driving 4 year old cars(i.e any CX-5) are seriously thinking about 'upgrading' to the latest model all over a few extra HP. Seriously? Is it really worth the depreciation hit just for a few HP and maybe a couple of new options? New cars depreciate the most during the first 4 years. Don't be one of these brainwashed fools who thinks trades out their cars every 4 years. Drive you're existing CX-5s and enjoy them for a long time. Last car payment I had($500) was in July 2005. Once that was paid off I starting paying 'myself' that car payment in the form of an Index and have built-up nearly 100k.
If Mazda puts in the 2.5 turbo engine into the CX-5, it won't just be a few more extra HP. A turbocharged AWD CX-5 will be a mainstream alternative to a BMW X3 and Audi Q5, minus the reliability and luxury expenses.

I agree that it is best to look at your finances before deciding to trade in a car, but we should all be doing that for all major purchases, not just cars. Whether or not people can afford to trade in their CX-5 for a new one, or how much depreciation affects a brand new CX-5 once it rolls off the lot is a totally different conversation though.

Only if something happened to my 2016 CX-5. Love the vehicle and plan on keeping it for the duration

I looked up this tuner and I have some reservations after going through this thread

https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123854085-OVT-tune-group-buy

I think hes an amateur tuner and after what happened to Chris, he can't be trusted. I also think you are a fake account used to promote him without paying dues to the forum. Shame on you.

Oh really?? Well there are quite a few people on this forum that would disagree.
But honestly, I don't care what some no post having 12 yr old Mitsu driving person thinks,,,,, been here for years, and many Mazda's (along with potent VW's) under my belt.

3. Also dave has been posting on mz247 since before ovt appeared in the cx5 forum.

Don't come on here spreading false information, lies and assumptions. Knowing the platform helps too.

Thanks Chris,,,,, Ya, I joined MZ247 when I got my '07 Speed6! (Heavily modded also!) I've also owned a 323 GTX! I did a Canadian 1.8T swap in that car! Fun times!!

I had a few relatives visiting last week for a funeral. Fully packed the CX-5 with 4 adults + 1 kid and a full trunk that blocked the rear window (and a Curt hitch), driving back and forth between home, funeral home, and temples was a breeze. I might have been a speeder as usual, but the Mazda can easily pull ahead of the CR-Vs, Venza, and Highlander in the family. Of course, at this point I'm well-versed in controlling the throttle and using Sport/manual-shift when needed (only used Sport mode once to get around a slow Odyssey) so that's an unfair advantage. The rides were comfortable enough for my wife to sleep during the trips.

I'd love to try out a turbo CX-5, but will happily skip if it introduces reliability issues and delay in spooling up. So far I'm happy with both performance, handling, and look. Of course, the "child" in me still want to try out all new cars, but that's probably not a wise option financially.

Part of me wants to make the car more luxury (a little quieter, a little more convenient, ...), but I don't want it to be something that is so delicate that I have to baby and be careful, and loosing all the fun of throwing it around.

I had a few relatives visiting last week for a funeral. Fully packed the CX-5 with 4 adults + 1 kid and a full trunk that blocked the rear window (and a Curt hitch), driving back and forth between home, funeral home, and temples was a breeze. I might have been a speeder as usual, but the Mazda can easily pull ahead of the CR-Vs, Venza, and Highlander in the family. Of course, at this point I'm well-versed in controlling the throttle and using Sport/manual-shift when needed (only used Sport mode once to get around a slow Odyssey) so that's an unfair advantage. The rides were comfortable enough for my wife to sleep during the trips.

I'd love to try out a turbo CX-5, but will happily skip if it introduces reliability issues and delay in spooling up. So far I'm happy with both performance, handling, and look. Of course, the "child" in me still want to try out all new cars, but that's probably not a wise option financially.

Part of me wants to make the car more luxury (a little quieter, a little more convenient, ...), but I don't want it to be something that is so delicate that I have to baby and be careful, and loosing all the fun of throwing it around.

What model Highlander?

Almost every year and model is SIGNIFICANTLY faster than the CX-5 2.5 AWD.
https://www.0-60specs.com/toyota-highlander-0-60-times/

Agreed. It's absurd. This is a grocery-getter. I don't know why they don't dump it and buy a slightly used GLK350 NOW if it's so allfired important.

I wouldn't be getting rid of my '15. It would likely replace my Infiniti. I'm still on the fence about picking up a 5-8 year old 3/4 ton pickup for the occasional high towing need to replace the old Exploer. I can't justify buying a new one of those. Heck...for what little towing I do even the 10MPG of an old Ford Excursion wouldn't be that bad.... I could tow basically anything I have ever considered with that.

More power is not required at all. The current 2.5L has enough power for this type of vehicle, as it is not a sports car.
Instead, better millage, better refinement will be appreciated.

Unless something unexpected happens, I will keep this car for as long as planned. Even then, I am not likely to buy the same car with a stronger engine, unless it would also be more efficient. Ideally, I'd like a lower to the ground, hopefully a hatchback or wagon with AWD. If more sporty, it will absolutely need to be a lower and lighter vehicle, with lower center of gravity and better wind drag resistance.

More power is not required at all. The current 2.5L has enough power for this type of vehicle, as it is not a sports car.
Instead, better millage, better refinement will be appreciated.

Unless something unexpected happens, I will keep this car for as long as planned. Even then, I am not likely to buy the same car with a stronger engine, unless it would also be more efficient. Ideally, I'd like a lower to the ground, hopefully a hatchback or wagon with AWD. If more sporty, it will absolutely need to be a lower and lighter vehicle, with lower center of gravity and better wind drag resistance.
Sounds like you would be perfectly happy with a Mazda6 wagon. Unfortunately they don't sell those here.

Sounds like you would be perfectly happy with a Mazda6 wagon. Unfortunately they don't sell those here.

What's wrong with making the CX-5 more luxury? I have this same discussion with "enthusiasts" in the BMW forums.

I'd bet the primary demographic doesn't care if it has more HP, they'd rather have heated seats and steering wheel though. This is the audience manufacturers care about, because they are buying most of their cars

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lol spooling on such a small turbo if it had one? My current vehicle has about the same amount of throttle lag as the 2.5L did. Drive by wire isn't the most responsive thing on these.

Last edited:
... with AWD. Exactly right! The rest of the world understand the benefits.
Yeah, no significant ground clearance. Just returned from a trip where I did some off-roading. All the places I did get to where all doable with a sedan. The areas where I shied away from, possibly could have tried some of them (and possibly would have gotten stuck or got underbody damage), were not. So, IMHO, not a big deal at all for the benefits that go with a lower vehicle.

What's wrong with making the CX-5 more luxury?

Well, it is a delicate game. On one hand, starting price of GT (without options) should not be too high, so as to not scare away potential buyers. Also, lower trims are very price sensitive, can't be any more expensive from what they already are. On the other hand, adding more costly options, for people which seek to be pampered, with a reasonable markup of course, is something Mazda should look into, as long as it does not impact the above mentioned prices. This is not always easy to do.

It also weighs 700-1000+lb more and is taller. It's faster in a straight line and that's about it. The 4cyl engine puts about the same power as the sky at higher rpms. And a plain Jane v6 model starts at over 30k too. And a .62g skidpad.. bruh

[emoji23][emoji23] at drag strip type perspective of the CX-5

Wouldn't a BRZ be better suited and in this price range?

Latest posts

Back