Please Post Your Numbers

Golden-boy

:
Honda CRV
Thinking of dumping my Honda for a CX-5. To help convince me, can everyone please tell me how many miles/kilometers they are getting on a full tank in the CX-5?

Thanks.

ps- My 08 CRV is getting almost 400 kilometers! :) Seriously.

Shouldn't average MPG be more of a concern to you?

Either way. Both have been discussed to death and can easily be searched.
For me, I can easily reach 400 miles on my AWD (larger capacity) before having the fuel light come on. Yes, 400 miles, not kilometers. I'm sure I can get at least 450mi a tank considering the large reserve capacity.

Last edited:
I can not speak Canadian (AKA metric) but
can say my 2.5L CX-5 gets the same day to day MPG as my previous 2006 1.8L Civic.

I quit thinking about it and did it. I dumped a 2010 CRV LX 2wd and replaced it with a 2015 CX-5 Touring AWD. The Mazda is quicker and handles better. It's much more capable at running the hilly interstates in my state than the CRV was. I got really tired of the constant downshifts and screaming engine every time I went uphill. Running the same business trips with the Mazda that I did with the CRV, the Mazda is averaging a solid 2 - 3 MPG better than the Honda did - despite having AWD.

Regards:
Oldengineer

I quit thinking about it and did it. I dumped a 2010 CRV LX 2wd and replaced it with a 2015 CX-5 Touring AWD. The Mazda is quicker and handles better. It's much more capable at running the hilly interstates in my state than the CRV was. I got really tired of the constant downshifts and screaming engine every time I went uphill. Running the same business trips with the Mazda that I did with the CRV, the Mazda is averaging a solid 2 - 3 MPG better than the Honda did - despite having AWD.

Regards:
Oldengineer

Dropped that zero for a hero; good choice! Be sure to check my part reference so you can mod it.

I'm at 6650k miles(just did the first service yesterday) and lately driving in LA I was getting very bad MPGs, 20.x My wife was getting the same thing with her '09 CRV LX FWD.
The first couple thousands, were above 25MPGs, but lately I don't know what happened.
It depends where do you drive and how much freeway/city driving do you do. Here in LA the freeway driving, can be considered city driving or even worse.

Shouldn't average MPG be more of a concern to you?

Either way. Both have been discussed to death and can easily be searched.

No. You get the manufacturers BS stats if you research. If those stats were any good, I'd be getting more than 400 kilometers per tank on my CRV and wouldn't be considering the CX5.

Regards:
Oldengineer

Thank you. This is precisely why I joined this forum, to get this sincere feedback to help inform my choice.

I'm at 55,000km on my 2014 GT w/Tech (AWD is the only option, at least in Canada).

I've averaged 9.53L/100km over the past 1.5 years (35,000 miles at 24.67 mpg). I drive fairly aggressively and at 130km/h (81mph) on the highway on a regular basis.

You should be able to get 500km easily out of a tank before refilling, up to 550km (which at my usage works out to the 58L tank), but you're cutting it close.

I've done up to 598km on a tank with light load and more relaxed, all highway driving, no traffic.

Thinking of dumping my Honda for a CX-5. To help convince me, can everyone please tell me how many miles/kilometers they are getting on a full tank in the CX-5?

Thanks.

ps- My 08 CRV is getting almost 400 kilometers! :) Seriously.

I reset my tank EVERY single time I fill up. In the past month I have been getting between 450km - 580km /tank. I do majority city with about 130km highway driving.

I can get over 500 km on a tank if I push it, but I rarely let my gauge get below 1/4 tank. I do mainly stop and go driving over short distances 12-15 km trips of about 20-45 minutes each depending on traffic etc driving mainly in Surrey (in the Metro Vancouver area) I'm sure if I drove in downtown Vancouver, I'd get fantastic mileage on the Highway, and dismal in the city streets. My long-term average is about 9.5 L/100KM for a 2013 AWD model (with the tiny 2.0 L engine.) I hope that helps!

My previous vehicle was a Honda Ridgeline truck and driving the same routes netted me a long term average of around 14.8 L/100KM. By moving down to the CX-5 I've saved somewhere on the order of 5.3 L/100KM - a huge savings at 1.42/L (that's what I paid this morning. Ugh!)

Coming from a 2001 Toyota RAV4, I think both cars have about the same tank size. Mostly doing city driving; I used to have to fill up the RAV4 every 220-250 miles; the CX-5 takes me 300-320 miles on a tankful of gas.

Wanting to know the amount from a tank is silly. Some people brim their tank, some don't. Some pumps cut off early, some late. It is completely useless. But if you measure exactly how much fuel you add, and know exactly how far you have traveled, it gives you an accurate economy figure.

In any case, I've had my 2.5L AWD CX-5 in Winnipeg for just on a year now. As of my most recent fill up I have done 7528 km using 871 litres of fuel, for a final figure of 11.6 L/100km. That is 20.3 MPG. Now that is not great. But there are a number of reasons my fuel economy is that low...... lots of short trips, lots of heavy traffic, very cold winter, lots of remote starter usage, and a very heavy foot on the gas pedal. For the small handful of longer highway trips I have done, I easily manage 8L/100km (30MPG) at 110 km/h (70mph).

No. You get the manufacturers BS stats if you research. If those stats were any good, I'd be getting more than 400 kilometers per tank on my CRV and wouldn't be considering the CX5.

You get plenty of real world average MPG if you search... Plenty. Not just on this site either. Should be obvious enough to know that a tank's range is not the determining factor for MPG...

Last edited:
I am getting 7.4 l/100km with 80% highway driving over the last 5 months. Also my wife had it for 2 months with all city driving and we were getting 7.9 l/100 km. I am happy overall with these results.

Back