Plastidip vs Paint vs Powdercoat?

j3rmz

I haven't even owned my '14 CX5 for a week yet and already want my wheels flat black. Which is the 'best'? Plastidip is the cheapest, but how long will it last? If you leave it on for too long (ie. 5+ years), will you still be able to peel it off? How well does paint hold up compared to powder coating? Any feedback would help, thanks!

powder coat will last the longest, but will cost the most.

paint can be done at home, but will be a b**** to redo if it chips.

plastidip will not be as durable as paint or powder, but will be the easiest to repair if you have any issues.

i would do the plastidip.

Let Fonz hook you up!

www.dipyourcar.com

Plastidip from what I've seen is a great alternative, esepcially for the folks that change their mind about color. Easy enough to do/redo.

Plastidip is definitely an option I'm considering, but I'm worried that it won't last very long. I probably won't have time to touch it up or re-plastidip in the future since we have a baby on the way.

I've used Plastidip on wheels before and the results were great, so I highly recommend it. I've had it on the car for 6 months and it has held up to everyday abuse as well as drive-thru car washes with spinning bristles (the car is old so I don't care about scratches)

When you do it, just don't put 2 coats on and call it a day. Thin layers of this stuff is also harder to peel off later on. I recommend 4-5 coats with plenty of time in between to let each coat dry. Good luck and enjoy the process.

5jty0w.jpg

Plasti-dip it. Food for thought, the guys at diyyourcar are dicks. They refused to help me with plasti-dip instructional process because I lost my order number.

Plasti-dip. I bought a few cans from Home Depot. Then later ended up getting the glossifier from dipyourcar. They seemed to have the best price on it.
I like the look the glossifier adds, a nice shine to it, but not too much.

I love the fact that I can just peel it off when I'm tired of the look.

vz5n6.jpg

Dipped my badges, too. :)

Last edited:
Plasti-dip. I bought a few cans from Home Depot. Then later ended up getting the glossifier from dipyourcar. They seemed to have the best price on it.

I purchased black auto enamel paint (on top of the dip) to match the badges to the plastic piece and (optional) hood visor. I half assed it as a test run on the front badge (couldnt get the plasti dip to dry bubble free) and it came out fine. The enamel paint also adds extra durability to the dip. I peeled it off hough b/c I did it very sloppy, when I have proper time I'll redo it and the rear badges too.

How long did you all wait between coats, and how long did you wait before slapping the wheels back on the cx5? Did you spray the back of the wheels first?

Typically you just spray the front part of the wheels.

vz5n6.jpg

Bobby, your's looks great! I have the 17's on my car as well and thought it may not look so good in black. Turns out it looks good!

Did you mask of the center part, or is it a center cap that pops off?

From what I've seen on pics and in the forums, the black Plasti-Dip isn't perfectly jet black. It gives a really dark-grey look but just not black. I like that a lot since the "black" plastic trim on the CX-5 isn't perfectly black either. I think it's a perfect fit!

Bobby, that looks awesome.. Would love to see those 19s dipped on a Soul Red or White :p

I vote PD, I have everything on my MINI PDed and love it. It will last a couple of years with no maintenance but it is so easy and cheap to redo.

Won't you have problems peeling it all off if you don't spray the whole thing?

I don't believe so. At least from all of the videos I have seen it seems to tear off just the same. It's the amount of coats that you put on that directly affects how easily it peels off. 4-5 light coats is better than 2 heavy coats.

How long did you all wait between coats, and how long did you wait before slapping the wheels back on the cx5? Did you spray the back of the wheels first?

I'm impatient, so I just waited ~10 minutes per coat...Went around to all four wheels, so actually, not a lot of down time. Played with my kids in between coats.
Also, I didn't remove the wheels before spraying, so the insides of the wheels weren't done. I just put a trash bag inside the rims, around the brakes to keep them protected. There are videos on how to do this, quite easy.
I screwed up my first try (held spray can too far away from the wheels, so it ended up looking like sandpaper), so I had to peel them off (after a couple of weeks) and start over. So, I can attest to the fact that it peels off easily (plus your original rims look brand spanking new when you peel off the PD).

Bobby, your's looks great! I have the 17's on my car as well and thought it may not look so good in black. Turns out it looks good!

Did you mask of the center part, or is it a center cap that pops off?

Thanks! Makes it look much "tougher" IMHO.
Used a toothpick to peel the PD off the mazda logo and the lug nuts. Also, I didn't bother masking the tires, it just peels off the tire, nicely tearing off where the rubber hits the rim. Just be sure to get a decently thick coat on the tires, as well...makes it easier to peel.

Last edited:
From what I've seen on pics and in the forums, the black Plasti-Dip isn't perfectly jet black. It gives a really dark-grey look but just not black. I like that a lot since the "black" plastic trim on the CX-5 isn't perfectly black either. I think it's a perfect fit!

Bobby, that looks awesome.. Would love to see those 19s dipped on a Soul Red or White :p

Me too, I kinda wished I had a White one after doing this!
I think adding the Glossifier made the look even better.

I don't believe so. At least from all of the videos I have seen it seems to tear off just the same. It's the amount of coats that you put on that directly affects how easily it peels off. 4-5 light coats is better than 2 heavy coats.

+1

So I ended up Dipping. I haven't even owned this thing for a week yet lol. Anyways I did it at night and now during the day I realize that I need to do some minor touch ups, no biggie. Anyways here's some cell phone pics. Thanks for the advice everyone!

http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z130/j3rmz731/20130304_082335.jpg

http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z130/j3rmz731/20130304_082457.jpg

http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z130/j3rmz731/20130303_175226.jpg

http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z130/j3rmz731/20130305_083452.jpg

Last edited:
Back