Mp3 ecu swap questions

Ok no one will know it has an mp3 ecu so the ulev thing isn't an issue

The only thing that will change cruising rpms is the gears in the trans. Synthetic oil and a tuned ecu will not and can not change that.

Also the start up clatter is lifters, again not something the ecu has control over

Also a cat back and header will reduce back pressure which you need for low end power. That will lose a bit of low end power.

The protege is way under powered there is no "beast" in this car

Last edited:
Ok no one will know it has an mp3 ecu so the ulev thing isn't an issue

The only thing that will change cruising rpms is the gears in the trans. Synthetic oil and a tuned ecu will not and can not change that.

Also the start up clatter is lifters, again not something the ecu has control over

Also a cat back and header will reduce back pressure which you need for low end power. That will lose a bit of low end power.

The protege is way under powered there is no "beast" in this car

You know, tweety, you have way of writing that makes you sound like an asshole.

Nothing you said about what I said is true. Everything I wrote was what was experienced by myself and others who have posted with the ECU.

I didn't say no ULEV would be an issue, not sure why you commented on that.

Yes my cruising RPMs dropped when I did these things in conjunction. I didn't say I knew why it happened. Thanks for somehow guessing otherwise.

Yes the clatter is the VCTS opening and closing. It isn't there anymore. The moment the ECU was installed, noise gone. Confirmed by other posts.

I said it was a beast compared to stock, in a limited range. Its a subjective term. Why so serious?

If you have a review, go ahead and post it. I submitted mine. Sounds like you are talking out your ass, as always.

How am I talking out of my ass when I have an actual mp3? I'm sorry for the fact that you are ignorant and trying to say that an ecu will do all these things that it does not. The only input you had that's actually right is smoother power and more in the mid an high rpm range. Maybe it is you that is talking out of your ass

Not to pick any sides here, but the moment I installed the MP3 ECU flash (from spicy), the chatter at start up went away immediately, meaning from the first crank after the ECU swap. I've been running the ECU straight for more than a year--no more chatter. What Oregon said about the chatter disappearing is true for me as well.

The following statement is personal opinion, not confirmed.

Tweety is right, the lifters are not directly influenced by the ECU, but since the MP3 ECU does not manage any VTCS system, I assume that the when it is operating a car with a VTCS system, it (the VTCS) is effectively "ignored" and therefore defaults into an "inactive" position. In short, the VTCS machinery is still there (the intake butterflies), but is not actuated.

Finally, I will also say that it does increase usable power in regular street driving conditions. It makes it a bit more fun to drive, if that's something you care about. Gas mileage does increase slightly, that is if you are a disciplined driver.

C'mon guys, we all know I'm the resident asshole on these forums...

Yhe startup clatter is caused by the VTCS butterfly activation, which is eliminated by the new ECU. Remove them from the manifold entirely for more power.

There is no way that the cruising RPM can change, unless you have an automatic... or you change the transmission ratios like only a handful of people have done.

The ECU can not change gear ratios on a manual transmission.

What could have happened is that the new ECU is showing the wrong RPM on the cluster because it is calibrated differently.

Last edited:
There is no way that the crushing RPM can change, unless you have an automatic... or you change the transmission ratios like only a handful of people have done.

The ECU can not change gear ratios on a manual transmission.

What could have happened is that the new ECU is showing the wrong RPM on the cluster because it is calibrated differently.

No he changed that to it was the synthetic fluids that did that. But you can only use the mp3 on a manual. Unless you can manually select each gear in an auto protege

I've had a spicyorange flashed MP3 ecu for over a month now. VERY happy with it.

I've also easily gained 2 or so mpg under normal driving...you can definitely feel the timing differences at cruising speeds, it takes FAR less throttle input for a quick pass or something on a highway...and the higher end powerband is much smoother...I have a full set of typical mods though. RB cat-back, custom mid-pipe, Mazdaspeed JDM 4-2-1 header, and JDM cams, but i still noticed it right away...that annoying 3500 to 5500 rpm 'bobbling' or whatever you want to call it when the stock ecu runs stupid rich...is gone...and it compliments the jdm cams very well up to red line...

thats about it though...you won't notice gains really, it just makes the engine respond better...it also has the proper cold start mapping for a VTCS'less system, so when you remove that, you won't have the cold start issues that many reported in colder climates.

Anyway though, your wife's 2.0L sedan will be perfectly fine with the P5 ecu. Cruise control is NOT build into the manual ecu though, so if your wife's car didn't come with it (not sure what models had it and what didn't) it won't magically get it with the P5's ecu...and also, even though the MP3 did not have cruise, the P5's system will still work perfectly with the MP3 flash...

the only thing to avoid is putting these things in automatic cars...completely different ecu's processing wise...and are not fully interchangeable...

If i could do every mod all over again and start from scratch...this would've been first on the list...no other mods i've done gave such a 'usable' advantage if that makes sense...

Cruise control is not done by the ECU. There is a standalone module that looks after it, it only references the ECU for vehicle speed, engine RPM, etc. Swapping ECU's between cars with and without cruise won't matter. (Why the MP3 ECU will work fine on cars with cruise.)

Cruise control is not done by the ECU. There is a standalone module that looks after it, it only references the ECU for vehicle speed, engine RPM, etc. Swapping ECU's between cars with and without cruise won't matter. (Why the MP3 ECU will work fine on cars with cruise.)

Right, although on automatic cars the cruise is built into the ecu iirc, or at least has part of it controlled by the ecu for shifting purposes...that was the initial problem spicyorange had with flashing automatic ecu's to MP3 specs...he was able to do it, but cruise control no longer worked...and some cars even had shifting problems. He no longer flashes automatic ecu's last i checked.

So just to clarify; Don't bother with any of this if you have an automatic protege...just sell it haha. Manual cars with and without cruise, any of these ecu's work...cruise will work with any manual ecu, and vice versa...

I am certain that Maxx is correct, the Cruise is controlled by a module and the trans would just kick down naturally because the pedal is being modulated.

it's not fly by wire, so we work like Cave Man..

cool cool, i'm agreeing with max. I just read when researching the stock ecu flashing page that some members had problems with automatics, and it was related to the auto cars no longer having working cruise control after the flash...some auto cars also weren't shifting at all, without cruise control entirely...the issue was solved by refunds, and spicy no longer offering it for automatic equipped cars iirc, thats all...so no idea on the technical differences between the manual and auto cars...just wanted to point it out for anyone looking into this that has an auto protege...

but yeah...the mp3 doesn't have cc...my manual p5 does...cc still works perfectly after putting in the mp3 ecu. We're all in agreement...

I still think that we are "Talking around the Elephant" in the room...

The P5 Is SLOW. Period. Add 10 HP and it's ..... SLOW.

We are trying to pretend...

Want Fast, Get a new car

or

Be Happy Driving a Great P5.

I still think that we are "Talking around the Elephant" in the room...

The P5 Is SLOW. Period. Add 10 HP and it's ..... SLOW.

We are trying to pretend...

Want Fast, Get a new car

or

Be Happy Driving a Great P5.

But it's fast to them. Considering the stock motor can't hand much power my vote is get a new car.

Got my mp3 ecu today! Thanks murda79

Ummm... My MP3 ECU didn't look like a little kid at all... haha, check your attachment, mate.

So what do you think of it now it's installed? I liked mine very much as well. And yes, the P5 will never be fast, but it's always fun to make them faster. If the OP was going to keep his car stock he wouldn't have joined the forums.

Has anyone with an MP3 ecu or a reflashed ecu tried to run the car on regular unleaded fuel?

People have run the MP3 on regular fuel and reported no issues. The question is; how were they monitoring knock? It is possible that the ECU is capable of pulling enough timing so that you can run regular gas (the protege does have a factory knock sensor.) The loss in power may be minimal and it may still be better than the factory ECU; without dyno numbers and accurate knock detection it is all hearsay....

Back