Headlight upgrade (non HID)

mackguy

:
2011 CX-9 Touring AWD
Sorry if this is the incorrect forum for this but thought it was worth a go.

I just bought a 2011 Touring which I assume does not have HID (GT only correct?). I have seen stuff like the Sylvania SilverStar bulbs that claim to be a big improvement in performance. Has anyone tried that and know to work or not?

Also the owners manual says something about the bulbs being Xeon and to not mess with them. I assume that only applies to HID equipped models?

Thanks!

You have halogen bulbs.

Sylvania SilverStar from my experience with past cars has less yellow, but they just don't seem very bright in my opinion. You could always buy an aftermarket HID kit which has ballasts and bulbs, and is a pretty affordable way to go for hid.

I've read a lot of negative reviews of non-OEM HID. In the CX-9 is the HID conversion really just a bulb and ballast? Does not require different lense etc? I had read that on here before. Any suggestion as to the best conversion "kit" would be appreciated.

I used the SilverStar bulbs on my wife's previous car. They definitely were much brighter than the standard bulbs they replaced. The biggest drawback with them was that they lasted about a year before burning out (both bulbs burned out about the same time, so I don't think it was a fluke). From what I've read, that is pretty typical: they are brighter, but don't last long.

As far as HID conversions go, the aftermarket kits tend to have less than optimal beam patterns because the optics are not optimized for the HID bulb (the glowing plasma in the HID is in a different spot than the bulb filament was). They definitely throw a lot of light, but they are annoying to other drivers. The last I checked, there are no HID conversion bulb kits that are DOT approved.

Thanks for the feedback, I don't think I want to mess with the HID conversion, but may try the silver stars and just carry the factory bulbs as backup.

Another option is to install H9 bulb after some modification. H9 is 65w and gives brighter and whiter light than stock. I did it and like the results.

Another option is to install H9 bulb after some modification. H9 is 65w and gives brighter and whiter light than stock. I did it and like the results.

If for some reason you did this and your car were to burn down (unlikely, but possibly over time) (melted wires, etc), don't post on here that you actually put these bulbs in your car because then your insurance company could potentially find you at fault. The internet is a vast resource for insurance companies.

I'll be sticking with some sort of commercially available DOT rated recommended bulb for this application.

If for some reason you did this and your car were to burn down (unlikely, but possibly over time) (melted wires, etc), don't post on here that you actually put these bulbs in your car because then your insurance company could potentially find you at fault. The internet is a vast resource for insurance companies.
"Well, I would certainly NEVER consider using unsupported or illegal modifications to my vehicle. My Mazda will ALWAYS remain in a stock WELL-MAINTAINED condition and be driven ONLY at LEGAL speeds in a SAFE and prudent manner by myself, a fully licensed and SOBER driver." (angel)

my $30 DDM HID kit was easily the most worthwhile improvement i've made to my CX-9 thus far, both aesthetically and functionally. Cheaper than a set of Silverstars and with easily twice the light output. Vehicle already comes with a projector housing, glare is a non-issue even though it's optics are optimized for halogen light sources.

From my past experience with the silverstars, they produce a whiter light, but less of it. And burn out on average about yearly. A pricey venture when a set costs about $50. To each his own...

I got a 55w DDM HID kit shortly after I bought the '09 CX-9. Has been on the car and bulletproof since purchase, I believe it was $70 and somewhat complicated to install, but after a little while, I figured it out.

Has anyone tried Phillips HIR lights? They are not HID and they supposedly last much longer than Sylvania Ultra.

This is where I read about them: http://store.candlepower.com/mohirbuba.html
This is where I can buy them on Amazon. My safe place to purchase. https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

If you read the reviews, people say not to use these unless your car has a glare shield for low beams. I can't find any information to tell me if the projector housing from my CX-9 touring differs from the HID housing only in the light coupling. Any help or input would be appreciated.

glare shields are not used in the cx9's projector housings. they are typically only used in reflector housings. HIR's will be an improvement in illumination, but not on par with an HID light source IMO. And at $20/each per your link above, they are pricier.

i'm not sure why there's so much apprehension towards going to an HID light source from folks, it's easy, gives exponentially better light output, and lasts much longer than most of the aftermarket upgraded bulbs available. But to each his own...

Also, you'll probably need to modify the HIR bulb base to fit the housing on the CX9.

Last edited:
I use them in my honda accord that has a shield infront of the bulb and it's noticeably brighter. Bulb base is easy to modify. The HIRS do not have a painted tip thus the need for a shield infront of the bulb.

Veilside1,

Does that mean that projector housings accomodate for the glare? I was wondering why no one mentioned it before. I didn't think that the glare shields would only be in projector housings. That would make sense. I had an HID kit that I installed but one of the bulbs burned out in a few minutes. Perhaps I contaminated it. Thank you for your information!

I looked up the instructions on how to modify and you are right, it looks like a very quick mod. My wife drives the CX-9. I have a Camery and I just went out to check after reading your response. My headlights have a cap on them that I never noticed. I'll probably get the HIR's for my car and then, depending on what Veilside1 says, I'll re-install the HID's on my wife's CX-9. Thank you for your reply.

Back