Exhaust Header Problem

newsboy86

:
2002 Mazda Protege5
Hey guys and girls, I've had my OBX header for around 4 years, and the welds at the flange that bolts to the head are cracking. I've welded the cracks but it just re-cracks around the welds, so unfortunately it seems that it's time for a new header. And now I'm kind of leery about buying another OBX header, but it doesn't seem like there are many other good options. Any suggestions??

awr or ractive if you can find one. there's really not a whole lot of choices out there. there's also spooled^ but that's pretty much the same as an obx. there's also the mazdaspeed one if you can find it and the stock fsze header

good and obx in the same sentence, something wrong there.

If you have the money get a autoexe or AWR, if you dont grab the 626 racing header and take it to an exhaust shop.

I wonder why they're cracking,....could it be the exhaust is putting too much weight on them ? Perhaps an extra hanger is needed.

JJ

so youre telling me out of my own ignorance, i can get s*** off a probe and such for my p5?

I wonder why they're cracking,....could it be the exhaust is putting too much weight on them ? Perhaps an extra hanger is needed.

JJ

What I have noticed on my exhaust is there really is no place for the header end to flex like say a flex pipe of any kind. The exhaust bolts w/ springs really don't do much for the engine movement in relation to exhaust movement. When I first had installed a header in a Protege was back in 01-02 on an LX 2.0 and I went with a 626/MX6 header. I had to have the egr bung welded on and of course a custom midpipe which I opted for a new Cat as well. I did go ahead and remove the header rear flange and between it installed a flex pipe. Since when I had the Protege I never had a problem for the almost 5 years I owned it and the header held up great.

I now have an ebay header with the EGR bung modified in the correct orientation and all went smooth like a stock install afterwards. I do plan on installing a flex pipe again though but also plan on a new full catback when I have the funds. I still have a MAM Cat-Less Midpipe I am thinking of installing as well.

Was refering to the welds he keeps making that keep cracking....

I havnt done that sort of welding before but do you do any prep before rewelding?

Was refering to the welds he keeps making that keep cracking....

I havnt done that sort of welding before but do you do any prep before rewelding?

I understood. I was meerly providing something to think about as to why maybe the header tubes get stressed and crack due to the lack of being able to freely move with the engine movement.

Sorry my post was in regards to the post before yours :)

But yes weight transfer and constants stress + heat cycles could cause the problem. Wrapping the header would exacerbate the problem IMO.

Back