Hellahorn vs Sickspeed horns?

Bastian

:
2003 Mazda Protege5
I've been contemplating swapping out my stock horn with something a little more... audible.

Have you ever heard the stock Protege horn?

...no?

Exactly.

I'm looking at Hellahorns and Sickspeed horns, and wondering if there is really any reason to spend $20 more on the Hellahorns, or if there is anything to avoid. Looking for advice from people who've done this swap.

Thanks!

I HATE the stock horn it sounds like a nancy boy....
....um... excuse me....
I think the sick speeds are just about the same as hellas, Both are alot louder than stock but I think they're a little to high pitched for me.
I have been on the hunt for these for a good price: https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)
They are off The big Cadilliac Fleetwoods from the late 80's early 90's

if you have never heard a Cadillac Fleetwood's horn...
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/jhcCrykk0Yg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
^^Not me...
Its like a Boat or a Train Horn!!

Last edited:
I hated the horn, needed to do something, so I have a sickspeed horn in the mail. From what I have read, their is a difference of 3 dB, not a big deal. Though Hella has a rich product history, Im willing to gamble with a less credible 40 dollar 12v horn. (vs Hellas $70). I'll post when they get here. I like the Fleetwood horn though! Haha that's awesome.

I have the Hella Supertones. It'll hurt your ears if youre walking in front of it when it beeps. Like literal ear pain.

I have the Hella Supertones. It'll hurt your ears if youre walking in front of it when it beeps. Like literal ear pain.

I did the EXACT same thing three weeks ago. The supertones were like 55$ to my door and super easy to install. They are loud as hell and fantastic for getting peoples attentions.

for reference, on eBay the Hella's can be had for $55... plus $25 shipping (jerkit)
Sickspeeds are $35 plus $10 shipping on eBay. I was looking at Sickspeed's site, it's $40 with $13 shipping.

Just about to drop it on sickspeed. Here for the opinions because I hate the oem horn (polite is a polite word for them) but both hella and supertones are a bit whiny but they're better than oem and look hot haha

I pressed the panic button by mistake as me and two of my kids were getting out of the car the night I brought it home! They didn't like it very much!

I also like to beep at those store mascots waving out by the road. I'm pretty sure I saw the statue of liberty jump when I passed!

I work with sickspeed and I run their horns. Hellahorns have 2 different tone horns, a high and a low. Sickspeed provides two low horns to give you a sound similar to a train horn without running a compressor

I've read about the Hellahorns needing a relay, is this the same with the Sickspeeds? I'm assuming I'll be able to just wire these to the same wires the stock horn was on?

So today an 18-wheeler I was passing on the highway decided that it wanted to be on top of me. So a near death experience and a few swears later, I decided that perhaps the Sickspeed horns weren't such a bad idea.

I just dropped $52.90 (including shipping) on the horns and expect them to show up next week. I'll update with pictures and sound clips.

Last edited:
whats the dB rating on the sickspeeds? i was contemplating a semi truck horn but if the sickspeeds are the same tone and fairly loud, im sold and will pick one up whenever i can

Apparently 115 dB, Hellahorns are 118 dB.

Here's a video of the Sickspeeds... a little high pitched, but insanely loud.

^ not entirely sure...

My sickspeeds came in the mail today, I plan on installing them tomorrow afternoon. I'll try to get some videos up. Also, the box says the sickspeeds are rated at 118 dB, not 115 dB as stated earlier in the thread...

IMG_20120130_205150.jpg

IMG_20120130_205251.jpg

Back