Mazda2 Aftermarket Armrest...

Axela05

:
13 Mazda CX-5 Touring AT
Mazda2 Aftermarket Armrest (w/pics)...

Alright, so after much deliberation, I decided to purchase the Boomerang XT armrest for my Mazda2. I was trying to choose between that one and the OEM armrest but I honestly did not like how the OEM armrest was designed and plus, the Boomerang armrest was not only designed better, but gives you an extra cup holder which looks pretty nice. Also, my 2 is silver which the Boomerang armrest compliments. Any who, here's some pics :)

Armrest 1.JPGArmrest 7.JPGArmrest 2.JPGArmrest 3.JPGArmrest 4.JPG

Last edited:
I can only tell you all about the OEM, about 20 minutes to install farting around, very comfortable and right where it needs to be as far as height. Does slightly get in way of ebrake and seatbelt so its easier to lift it up when messing with those 2 things, other than that it stays down. inside has a compartment that will hold cds verically (with slots), solid build. Not very wide though. Once your arm rests on it you will feel like youre in a cockpit, not an economy car, so much nicer.

I can only tell you all about the OEM, about 20 minutes to install farting around, very comfortable and right where it needs to be as far as height. Does slightly get in way of ebrake and seatbelt so its easier to lift it up when messing with those 2 things, other than that it stays down. inside has a compartment that will hold cds verically (with slots), solid build. Not very wide though. Once your arm rests on it you will feel like youre in a cockpit, not an economy car, so much nicer.

To be quite honest, I've always been a fan of OEM products and rarely stray into aftermarket territory but I simply couldn't deny that the Boomerang XT not only looked nicer, but also seemed far more functional than the OEM armrest (extra cupholder, doesn't block the cupholder in the back, seems more shallow so as not to mess with seatbelt/ebrake functionality, etc). As for CD holders? I will never use them since my iPod Touch is hooked up to my Alpine deck and any CDs that I do use, are in a Discgear case on a headrest sling. The OEM armrest looked quite bulky for some odd reason which also strayed me away from it. Nevertheless, all who have the OEM product seem to be happy which is all that really matters in the end and I'll be sure to post pics and impression once I finally install the armrest (which will hopefully be next week).

Just checked UPS and the armrest was delivered today. I'll be installing it tomorrow and hopefully will have pics up by the weekend :)

Looks good..little wider and taller than the OEM, storage looks a little more modern for phone\ipod etc...looks really cool (except when its up as it sticks out oddly).

Looks good..little wider and taller than the OEM, storage looks a little more modern for phone\ipod etc...looks really cool (except when its up as it sticks out oddly).

Yeah, after the install, my initial reaction is that I love it, but my only gripe is that it's about an inch too tall, nothing I can't get used to though and it's still comfortable. As for it sticking out, I actually don't even feel that it sticks out that much at all when it's up. Then again, I'm 6'1" and do lean my seat back a bit so that may be why you're seeing it stick out.

I LOVE the cupholder it gives you. I almost always have a bottle of water in the car with me and it puts it right at my finger tips so I can unscrew the cap without even looking and without having to reach down :) The storage compartment barely fits my HTC Evo 4G but then again I do have an Otterbox case on it so it's impressive I guess, lol.

Here's one thing I want to say to anyone who owns a manual Mazda2: I'm not sure exactly how the shifter sits in regards to height and all but with the added bit of height on this armrest, I automatically said to myself "this would makes things quite difficult for stick shift owners to shift gears". This honestly may not be the case but it very well MAY be the case (never assume). Nevertheless, I love the new armrest, the quality is top notch, as is the design and functionality :)

Oem's is about perfect for length and height and not being in the way of shifting, and yours looks a little more modern and more comfortable (minus being slightly too tall), so dare I say Boomerang for AT's and Oem for MT's. ;-)

Oem's is about perfect for length and height and not being in the way of shifting, and yours looks a little more modern and more comfortable (minus being slightly too tall), so dare I say Boomerang for AT's and Oem for MT's. ;-)

I haven't seen the OEM armrest in person to test it out and what not but based upon the fact that you have one and have no issues shifting with it, I'm gonna go with you on this. OEM for manual transmission and Boomerang XT for automatics. Now, if only agreeing on a plan to fix the national debt was this easy, lol.

it is easy but both parties ignored it till it got out of hand. No matter what party, govt needs to be all the same party right now to get the momentum to do things without all the bickering...I dont even care which party it is (since im a republican that voted for obama).

it is easy but both parties ignored it till it got out of hand. No matter what party, govt needs to be all the same party right now to get the momentum to do things without all the bickering...I dont even care which party it is (since im a republican that voted for obama).

Lol, I'm Republican as well but didn't even vote last time *hides*

I installed the Boomerang armrest after about 150 miles because I just could'nt get used to driving with my arm resting in my lap when i wasn't shifting, and with that being said, I don't have any complaints about shifting through the gears with it. Whether shifting casually or really ripping through them the armrest has never been in the way or made shifting awkward. My decision to buy the XT over the oem was based almost solely on the extra cupholder which by the way is most definately in the way when trying to shift, but i really only use it on longer highway trips when i'm driving in 5th gear 90% of the time.

I installed the Boomerang armrest after about 150 miles because I just could'nt get used to driving with my arm resting in my lap when i wasn't shifting, and with that being said, I don't have any complaints about shifting through the gears with it. Whether shifting casually or really ripping through them the armrest has never been in the way or made shifting awkward. My decision to buy the XT over the oem was based almost solely on the extra cupholder which by the way is most definately in the way when trying to shift, but i really only use it on longer highway trips when i'm driving in 5th gear 90% of the time.

Well then, the verdict is in it seems. The Boomerang XT armrest is suitable for manual owners as well :) Thanks for your feedback gasman.

Could someone measure the height of the Boomerang vs OEM? Say, from bottom of cupholders (or anywhere where it makes sense) to the top of armrest?

Could someone measure the height of the Boomerang vs OEM? Say, from bottom of cupholders (or anywhere where it makes sense) to the top of armrest?

I'll try and measure mine tonight or tomorrow. I guess Fam could probably help with the OEM specs for ya :)

im happy with oem...but she is very narrow...since boomerang is basically same price and is wider.....why not.

Back