Jiffy Lube - Blew my motor?

satyr36

:
2003 Protege Speed
So, 85% of the time i change my own oil. Didnt have time tonight so i went through the local jiffy lube... Car was not knocking a bit. Leave there and my oil light wouldnt go off. Get near my house (3 miles) and its knocking like a MOFO like there isnt 1 drop of oil in the motor...

I call the manager, he comes out. Said its either a bad pump or a faulty filter. Puts a new oil filter in and the knocking almost goes away.. giving it some gas (rpms) you can hear it knock pretty good... sounds like I blew the bottom end.......

Their manager seems to think its the oil pump not producing enough oil to the motor. I said that sounds like a HOPEFUL prayer on their part... They tow the car to my mazda dealer (actually good mechanics) . Tomorrow Ill know the true answer. I know the manager for mazda, called his personal cell telling him its on its way out there.... He said hell call me before he calls them to let me know the diagnosis....

Part of me is PISSED. but it jiffies defense, it wasnt their fault either. (guitar)

Last edited:
Most places like that will put a colored mark on the underside of your vehicle after they empty your oil, so they can know if it's been tampered with.. obviously since you haven't messed with it and it's going to the hands of the dealer, if they find that Jiffy Lube forgot to put oil in, it's definitely going to be Jiffy Lube's fault. They will be responsible. Sounds odd to me that the manager put a new oil filter on.. shouldn't they have done that to begin with? (hmm)

they did put a new one on... but the filter was faulty (what he said) the car was full of oil. still is.

when he put another new filter on, the noise silenced (not dissipated)

Good luck, man. IMO, it really shouldn't be that hard. You took your car in with no problems. Jiffy Lube gives it back to you with problems. Ergo, something that Jiffy Lube did (or didn't do) caused the problems :)

Here's hoping you don't need a new engine.(cheers)

Well. no offence... But its a known thing to not take anything to a jiffy lube even for them to look at it. They will mess something up always.

Well. no offence... But its a known thing to not take anything to a jiffy lube even for them to look at it. They will mess something up always.

I'm sure he won't be going back ;). Ah well, lesson learned, albeit the hard way. If you usually change your own oil, I would find a dealership or a reliable independent mechanic to handle your other changes. You may pay more, but if you usually change your own oil, it won't add up to anything significant.

I do my own oil and brakes, anything else goes to my local mechanic :D He has 5+ Master Technicians working for him, we been going to him for yearssssss

My filter did fail. And it was a Pure One. But just in case check your rod bolts, they are prone to fail. When I pulled my engine the bolts on rod number 2 & 3 were loose.

when people IM me asking what filter to get i always say the same thing... GET K&N, best u can get IMHO :) NEVER heard anyone have one failed.

I always get the OEM filter from Mazda. You KNOW those aren't gonna fail, and they're less than $6 a pop.

thanks for the opinions guys... and ya. lesson learned i guess....im leaving town today for business and wanted the cars oil changed. figured id save some time.... now im driving a rental :D

yup, mazda called. said motors gone. they priced 7k for new motor, new turbo and installation.. lol.

Sorry to hear that. But why would they price a new turbo with that? Did they say that was shot from oil starvation?

get a used longblock and turbo...its really all you'll need...and $7000...please, find a better local shop if you know friends and save money. i have the same problem and got quoted $3500 max for a used longblock with less than 30k and a brand new gt28rs and installed... hope the best man!

thanks, i think they price everything new just so you know the MAX price... i dont give a sheet how much it costs, im not paying for it.... so of course id rather have brand new :D

If they are gonna fork over $7K for the repairs, just try to look into a forged motor, they are less than that and you'd be set for any mods you want to do or don't want to do.

Back