EMS question.

What is the most you would run without forged rods, but with meth injection?

I have CAI, J back 3" exh, Unichip w/ boost controller, 440cc injectors, and a FMIC. Other stuff but nothing relevant to the engines performance.

I haven't decided yet. I am getting tuned in the spring. I don't want to run 14 psi because I want to be on the safe side. I'm probably only looking at 10-12 psi. That's all I really want to do not being forged. The meth injection helps.

ok, sorry to revive this but i gotta ask..

on another thread here, some say that the V3 is not quite ready and it still buggy

so im gonna wait for the bugs to be worked out...

my question is

can i go around ----SAFELY..even at WOT----with no EMS at all, colder plugs and a ATP WGA that should put me close to 9 psi ?

or am i playing russian roulette here?

im thinking i can't certainly lean it out with a V2 and not put timming retard right? leaning out = chance of pinging if im correct.. am i ?

I spoke with Ken from Protege Garage the other day about this. If you have a V.3 now, Split Second requires you to send it back to fix a small bug. He said it's only like a day turn around.

If you're going to order them now, they should be all ironed out.

well i would be ordering around march.. so i assume it will be ok..

wasn't there a bug in the tuning as well?

ok, sorry to revive this but i gotta ask..

on another thread here, some say that the V3 is not quite ready and it still buggy

so im gonna wait for the bugs to be worked out...

my question is

can i go around ----SAFELY..even at WOT----with no EMS at all, colder plugs and a ATP WGA that should put me close to 9 psi ?

or am i playing russian roulette here?

im thinking i can't certainly lean it out with a V2 and not put timming retard right? leaning out = chance of pinging if im correct.. am i ?

You can NOT run 9psi with no EMS of any kind.

oook,

heres the deal...

i just called a reputable shop in Qc city... suposedly a VERY good one..

i wanted some info on his procedures.. he know the msp well and knows the SS AFC too.. and knows what to do with timming control as well. so thats a plus when i buy my AFC V3.

where it gets fishy is this:

he tunes the car on the street (in a secure place) instead of the dyno as it does not represent the reality.

and he checks for detonation "by ear".. wihout the us of a knock amp or any other method..

alot of members from a french msp forum say he's good at it..

i stay objective about it as i lack knowledge on tuning..

he install his own wideband ( dont rememeber the name) and h'es got his laptop and all.. but wants to do it on the street..

of course he has a dyno and the price is alot more.. it,s my choice.. but jhe recomends doing it on the street..

what you guys think??

im puzzled.

Some shops do street tunes. It's not uncommon. I would still insist they put it on a dyno afterwards.

Street tuning has it's place, but building you a good map is not it. Dyno tune FIRST where you can hear knock/ping much more easily without the wind in your face. Then leave it at that. Street tuning is to get it "rough" and then dyno tuning is fine tuning. THat applies mostly to standalones though, so you can get the streetability down. With a piggyback there's no reason to street tune at all.

what made u def go with afc versus the unichip? just wondering, cuz i'm considering both.

no one here plays with unichip.. so i can't get a real tune.. and tuning by shipping it to get a map in it... is not a way to go..

Street tuning has it's place, but building you a good map is not it. Dyno tune FIRST where you can hear knock/ping much more easily without the wind in your face. Then leave it at that. Street tuning is to get it "rough" and then dyno tuning is fine tuning. THat applies mostly to standalones though, so you can get the streetability down. With a piggyback there's no reason to street tune at all.

alright, i'll insist about the dyno.. no problem there..

but the only technology available for the timming is his ears and a knock light

is that good enough? i guess on a dyno you will hear if detonation is present right?

alright, i'll insist about the dyno.. no problem there..

but the only technology available for the timming is his ears and a knock light

is that good enough? i guess on a dyno you will hear if detonation is present right?

You'll hear it alright, sounds liek marbles in your engine. But what's troublesome isthat knock that you can't hear can still kill your engine. The knock light comes in there, but if it's just tapped into the factory sensor, be weary. It's better than nothing though.

For what you want...a street tune will be good enough. If he's as good as they say he is...the tune will be close to perfect.

Dyno's are alot more brutal on motors than the street. On stock internals...I'd rather do 10 WOT runs on the street than 10 on the Dyno.

What's this place called in Qc...I'm curious?

For what you want...a street tune will be good enough. If he's as good as they say he is...the tune will be close to perfect.

Dyno's are alot more brutal on motors than the street. On stock internals...I'd rather do 10 WOT runs on the street than 10 on the Dyno.

What's this place called in Qc...I'm curious?

totaltuning..

he might be good but im with maxx on this one, i've read about detonation you can't hear..

It's called "phantom knock" if you wanna google it. It's imperceptible to the human ear, but can still blow the engine.

i might as well find another shop then..

i won't be 100% sure even after going there.

Back