HOW TO: Change your own oil

Do you think the crews at Jiffy Lube go through all this?

Do they remove the engine undertray? Do they know it needs 6 quarts?

I know it's early, but I'd like to change my oil now, with just 300 miles on the car. The dealer will think I'm nuts, or up to something. Jiffy Lube will probably just think I'm nuts. Most engine wear occurs at initial break-in. The first 200 miles, really. And I'd like to get rid of all that oil ASAP.

So I'm thinking I have to do it myself. Then the regular maintenance intervals will apply from here on out.

has anyone noticed how much oil your speed3 uses?
i checked my oil today due to the fact that i hit the 5000 mile mark and was amazed at how low my oil level was. I checked it after my first oil change that i had done at my local dealer, it was spot on.

Pissed

So this is the second time my Mazda3 is leaking oil.
Last time it happened after about 5,000km since the last oil change.
Since I do my own oil changes, and did not have a proper wrench for my oil filter, i guess i did not put enough torque on her.

After that i made sure to make it snug...now again...the same thing..after just about 5,000km.

I just bought the wrench and will make sure to apply the right torque. And see if this works this time.

Anyone else with this problem?

I'm not familiar with the catriage system the 3 has, but make sure to apply fresh oil to any gaskets, not doing so may cause small leaking.

how much is leaking? Alot? a little?

if you're using conventional, some oil burning is common.

Do you think the crews at Jiffy Lube go through all this?

Do they remove the engine undertray? Do they know it needs 6 quarts?

I know it's early, but I'd like to change my oil now, with just 300 miles on the car. The dealer will think I'm nuts, or up to something. Jiffy Lube will probably just think I'm nuts. Most engine wear occurs at initial break-in. The first 200 miles, really. And I'd like to get rid of all that oil ASAP.

So I'm thinking I have to do it myself. Then the regular maintenance intervals will apply from here on out.

wait until 1000 at least, or until the manual says, and you don't want to go off running out and buying some royal purple (or even any synthetic) for the first 5,000 miles really.. most of the engine break in happens the first 1-2.5K miles, but additional break in happens after that as well, and because of that, high VI oils will prevent said break-in because of their high film stregnth, which is never a good thing.. so if you must change your oil using a good quality conventional, such as some valvoline or castrol GTX.

the OEM oil is crappy not because they cheap out on it, but because it needs to be crappy.

I'm not familiar with the catriage system the 3 has, but make sure to apply fresh oil to any gaskets, not doing so may cause small leaking.

how much is leaking? Alot? a little?

if you're using conventional, some oil burning is common.

I always do apply oil on the o-rings, also always use new ones.
Its leaking small amount. But it doesnt matter, it shouldnt leak what so ever!!! I hate leaky cars.....my old one did and that is why I got rid of it! (pissed)
Im going to torque it to spec tomorrow after work, and see if it continues to leak.

So this is the second time my Mazda3 is leaking oil.
Last time it happened after about 5,000km since the last oil change.
Since I do my own oil changes, and did not have a proper wrench for my oil filter, i guess i did not put enough torque on her.

After that i made sure to make it snug...now again...the same thing..after just about 5,000km.

I just bought the wrench and will make sure to apply the right torque. And see if this works this time.

Anyone else with this problem?
Where is it leaking from?

If it's related to the oil change, there are a few places it could be coming from.

First is the filter housing. Did you replace the o-rings? It could leak from the little drain plug in the cap or from the cap itself. Those are o-ring seals, and they look pretty well designed to me. They shouldn't leak unless installed incorrectly or if the o-ring is damaged. I guess the cap or the sealing surface on the engine could be damaged too, but that's unlikely.

The other place is from the drain plug on the oil pan. If that's leaking, it could be loose. If it's loose, it could fall out. If it falls out, you'll have a huge mess, in more ways than one. You'll want to check that out right away.

Its leaking small amount. But it doesnt matter, it shouldnt leak what so ever!!! I hate leaky cars.....my old one did and that is why I got rid of it! (pissed)
Im going to torque it to spec tomorrow after work, and see if it continues to leak.

and what is spec?

EDIT* 30-35 Newton Meters.

Last edited:

if you're using aftermarket filters, I've heard they're all not exactly the same size and/or shape as the OEM one , so I could see that most would then leak a small amount . Are you using the OEM filter?

if you're using aftermarket filters, I've heard they're all not exactly the same size and/or shape as the OEM one , so I could see that most would then leak a small amount . Are you using the OEM filter?

That doesn't seem right. The housing is sealed by o-rings. You could put it back together without a filter and it won't leak.

Well, yes I am using and replacing the o-rings!!

I bought aftermarket - Fram. I checked under the car today and it was leaking from the main o-ring, where the cartridge meets the metal (engine part). I have done numerous oil changes, and I am 100% sure that I installed the o-ring and oil filter correct. The small drain plug is not leaking...just the main part. I re-torqued it, but it is still leaking.

I bought an OEM Mazda oil filter and some Mobil1 oil to perform another oil change tomorrow. I will let you guys know if this setup with OEM parts holds up longer than 5,000-6,000km's.

Last edited:
Well, yes I am using and replacing the o-rings!!

I bought aftermarket - Fram. I checked under the car today and it was leaking from the main o-ring, where the cartridge meets the metal (engine part). I have done numerous oil changes, and I am 100% sure that I installed the o-ring and oil filter correct. The small drain plug is not leaking...just the main part. I re-torqued it, but it is still leaking.

I bought an OEM Mazda oil filter and some Mobil1 oil to perform another oil change tomorrow. I will let you guys know if this setup with OEM parts holds up longer than 5,000-6,000km's.
Check the plastic piece carefully. There have been reports of it cracking when the special wrench has not been used.

That doesn't seem right. The housing is sealed by o-rings. You could put it back together without a filter and it won't leak.

yeah.. our filter is weird. well, different.. i can't tell if it theres any advantage to it being set up like that or not :p

Check the plastic piece carefully. There have been reports of it cracking when the special wrench has not been used.

I never used a different wrench, so that shouldnt be an issue. But I will examine it for cracks. It really pisses me off though, that a brand new car leaks oil. I NEVER had problems with the screw on types. If after this oil change the problem occurs again, i might just swtich to screw on type.

What do you think Rotus?

I never used a different wrench, so that shouldnt be an issue. But I will examine it for cracks. It really pisses me off though, that a brand new car leaks oil. I NEVER had problems with the screw on types. If after this oil change the problem occurs again, i might just swtich to screw on type.

What do you think Rotus?
Some people have changed out the filter housing to one that takes a conventional filter. It's from some other Mazda, you will have to search for it. I have no experience so I can't comment on it. I have not had any problem with the stock arrangement, always used the factory filter.

Some people have changed out the filter housing to one that takes a conventional filter. It's from some other Mazda, you will have to search for it. I have no experience so I can't comment on it. I have not had any problem with the stock arrangement, always used the factory filter.

Okay thanks!

I installed a Mazda filter, fingers are crossed now!

I almost think that the syn oil caused the leak on the aftermarket crap!?
Could that be?

Okay thanks!

I installed a Mazda filter, fingers are crossed now!

I almost think that the syn oil caused the leak on the aftermarket crap!?
Could that be?

Again, I don't see how that could happen. The filter area is sealed by o-rings, not by the filter.

Did you replace the o-rings when you replaced the filter? How did the old o-rings look? Any cuts or nicks? Any signs of distress at all? How did the filter cap look? Did you check that for cracks?

Again, I don't see how that could happen. The filter area is sealed by o-rings, not by the filter.

Did you replace the o-rings when you replaced the filter? How did the old o-rings look? Any cuts or nicks? Any signs of distress at all? How did the filter cap look? Did you check that for cracks?

Geez, how many times have I said that I used NEW o-rings? 3 or 4 times....YES I replaced the o-rings. And i kow that the filter does not seal it...obviously. Old ones looked fine...the only thing i was surprised about, they were flat. Which would make sense since they are compressed in there, BUT I would think that their flexible characteristic would make them go back to their natural 'roundness' afterwards. Filter caps seemed to be in perfect shape and condition.

where would you buy this special wrench? and does it have a part #?

TIA

Back