Official 'Smoking Turbo' response from Mazda

Does any one notice more smoke in cold weather?

Also, whats up with this problem and the emissions warranty? This may have been discussed but humor me please..

I'm not sure anyone has tried. This is covered though under California emissions warranty, it says so right in the TSB.

I am SOL with the Power Train warranty so i will try out the emissions rout. I have to get my car tested first though and prove that it will fail Canadian federal regulations, that is the only way Mazda will listen. I'll update when i do.

TSB: 01-002/11
2007-2009 CX-7 - WHITE OR BLUE SMOKE FROM TAIL PIPE AFTER LONG IDLE PERIOD

BULLETIN NOTE
This bulletin supersedes the previous bulletin 01-004/10 issued on 01/07/10, 02/17/10 and 08/18/10. The DESCRIPTION, INSPECTION PROCEDURE, PART(S) INFORMATION and WARRANTY INFORMATION have been revised.
Changes are noted below in Red beside the changes bar.
For 2006-2007 Mazdaspeed6 or 2007-2009 Mazdaspeed3 vehicles with this concern, refer to TSB 01-001/11 ("WHITE OR BLUE SMOKE FROM TAIL PIPE AFTER LONG IDLE PERIOD").
APPLICABLE MODEL(S)/VINS
2007-2009 CX-7 vehicles with VINs lower than JM3ER****9*224013 (produced before July 1, 2008)
DESCRIPTION
Some customers may experience white/blue smoke from the exhaust pipes after long idle periods or while driving at slow speeds in heavy traffic. When engine oil viscosity is low due to improper oil change intervals and/or usage of low viscosity oil, and the internal pressure of the crank case is greater than the exhaust pressure while idling, the lubrication oil for the turbine shaft gets into the exhaust side of the turbine and creates smoke by heat of turbine/catalyst converter.
Customers having this concern should have their vehicle repaired according to the following repair procedure.
NOTE:
The oil change program as described in the prior published service bulletin under the same subject, is no longer in effect.
Vehicles having their turbochargers replaced during the procedures as described in this service bulletin, will NOT require any further repairs related to this service bulletin or any future revisions.

INSPECTION PROCEDURE
PDF PRINT - INSPECTION PROCEDURE
If the proper oil change intervals using 5W-30 have been performed, repair the vehicle using the following repair procedure.
REPAIR PROCEDURE
VENTILATION SET REMOVAL:
Replace the cylinder head cover (A), ventilation hose (B), engine hanger (C), air pipe (D), vacuum hose (E) and plug (F) (all components included in the Ventilation Set).
WARNING: Perform this repair procedure while the engine is cold. A hot engine can cause severe burns.
1. Record the customer's pre-set radio stations.
2. Remove the battery cover.
3. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
4. Remove the air cleaner.
5. Remove the battery clamp, battery and battery tray.
6. Remove the intercooler cover and pull out the intercooler.
7. Remove the air pipe (A) with vacuum hose (B).
8. Remove the vacuum hose.
9. Remove the cylinder head cover.
Loosen the cylinder head cover bolt in the order shown below.
Remove the cylinder head cover (A) with the ventilation hose (B).
10. Remove the insulator bolt, then move the insulator (A) to create enough space to access the engine hanger bolt.
11. Remove the engine hanger bolt and engine hanger (B).
VENTILATION SET INSTALLATION:
1. Install new engine hanger.
Tightening Torque: 44-50 Nm
2. Install the insulator bolt.
Tightening Torque: 7.8-10.8 Nm
3. Clean up the cylinder head surface attached to the cylinder head cover.
4. Apply 5.0mm of silicone sealant to the spot shown below for cylinder head cover installation.
5. Install new cylinder head cover.
Tightening Torque: 8.0-9.5 Nm
NOTE: Fasten the cylinder head cover bolt in the order shown.
6. Install new vacuum hose (A) to the three-way solenoid valve (B).
7. Install the hose (A) to new air pipe (B), then install new plug (C) and new vacuum hose (D).
8. Install new air pipe.
Tightening Torque: 2.5-3.4 Nm
9. Install the vacuum hose (A) to the three-way solenoid valve and install the ventilation hose (B) to the cylinder head cover and the air pipe.
NOTE: After both hoses are securely installed, pull both levers (C) out.
10. Install the intercooler.
11. Install the battery tray, battery and battery clamp.
12. Install the air cleaner.
13. Install the intercooler cover.
14. Reconnect the negative battery cable.
15. Install the battery cover.
16. Re-enter the customer's pre-set radio stations.
PART(S) INFORMATION

Part Number
Description
Qty.
Notes
L3Y1-13-S80B
Ventilation Set
---
L321-14-302A-9U
Oil Filter Cartridge
For customers returning for 5W-40 Synthetic oil change.
5555-EG-001
Oil
For customers returning for 5W-40 Synthetic oil change.

WARRANTY INFORMATION
NOTE:
This warranty information applies only to verified customer complaints on vehicles eligible for warranty repair.
This repair is covered under Mazda New Vehicle Limited Warranty and Mazda Powertrain Limited Warranty. It may also be covered under California Emission Warranty, refer to Mazda Warranty Wizard to confirm coverage.
If the turbocharger is replaced, this warranty information is not applicable.
Additional diagnostic time cannot be claimed for this repair.
The oil change program as described in the prior published service bulletin under the same subject, is no longer in effect.
If the customer is returning after a synthetic oil change with a complaint of the white or blue smoke returning, it is not necessary to replace the synthetic oil with standard oil if the ventilation set requires replacement (if vehicle has returned within 3,000 miles).
Only customers returning for an additional synthetic oil change should have their vehicle serviced with standard 5W/30 motor oil charged out as related parts on the turbocharger replacement claim.

Warranty Type
A
Symptom Code
Damage Code
Part Number Main Cause
L3Y1-13-S80B
Quantity
Operation Number / Labor Hours:
XXF4GARX / 1.3

IMG_9242.jpg

the only issue for us is that TSB specifically says its for the CX-7 models and that Speed3s and 6s need to see the previous TSB in which we only get a turbo replacement, not the ventilation set. However, the parts kit is less than $500, so for the DIY'ers who have the spare cash and no warranty... it's not as bad as I would have thought. Includes the new valve cover, TIP, hoses, new engine hangar, and whatever else is listed. I'm going to try and get mine covered with this, however, and see what they say. And for you guys with DPs and stuff... argue argue argue. This is a turbo-up issue, not turbo-down. If anything our DPs just uncover the problem that the stock DP with 2 cats hides from us. There's no mention of the downpipe being any kind of impacting part with this TSB, just the crankcase ventilation, so argue!!!!

You know in all honest opinion if Mazda would have opened there eyes a little wider if they would have just recalled this problem they would have save a giant chunk of change instead of manufacturing another set of vehicles the year after 2006, but thats what happens when you think your s*** don't stink

good luck Black hope it goes well!
edit sig: whiteline brace in and tri point installed too braille 11/lb arrived yesteday and in hand. literally

the only issue for us is that TSB specifically says its for the CX-7 models and that Speed3s and 6s need to see the previous TSB in which we only get a turbo replacement, not the ventilation set. However, the parts kit is less than $500, so for the DIY'ers who have the spare cash and no warranty... it's not as bad as I would have thought. Includes the new valve cover, TIP, hoses, new engine hangar, and whatever else is listed. I'm going to try and get mine covered with this, however, and see what they say. And for you guys with DPs and stuff... argue argue argue. This is a turbo-up issue, not turbo-down. If anything our DPs just uncover the problem that the stock DP with 2 cats hides from us. There's no mention of the downpipe being any kind of impacting part with this TSB, just the crankcase ventilation, so argue!!!!

no one said its a downpipe issue, they just said like you did, the downpipe helps unmask the issue, but it also does affect the pressure in the crankcase. more pressure in the crankcase does not allow oil to drain from turbo back into oil pan, thus the oil pushes its way past the turbo seals, switching to 5w40 helps because it's thicker and doesn't get by the seals as easily. for me and several others increasing the idle with the accessport to 950 or 1000 helps eliminate it because it reduces the pressure in the crankcase allowing the oil to drain back from turbo.

whatever works for you works for you, this works for me so i won't do the tsb cause i hate going to the dealership.

Bova, what were you idling at with the free exhaust? I cant recall what the car was when stock.

14,000? really? wow thats low for 08.
Keep us posted and glad you kept receipts. very wise.

Thanks
I never took notice of the idle from stock exhaust to Corking with factory tach.
How did you decide on 950 rpm? Any side effects? I hate to ask maybe obvious questions, but how did you see the crank case pressure difference?

thats what cobb had me go with way back when. it also helps alleviate major vibrations if you have upgraded mounts. i saw the difference when the car stopped smoking. there are no side effects from raising your idle.

...except for reduced mileage, although you would see a minimal decrease. I'll be upping my car to 950rpm idle very soon:)

Any one monitoring oil pressure? Bova can you see that with your Cobb tune data log or real time? Does the oil pressure change at all with a 200 rpm increase at idle.
My idle by stock tach is about 650-700. i just noticed.

Last edited:
i don't have a oil pressure gauge and there isn't one stock that the ap can read. i don't really care if there is a difference, i just know my car idles better at 950 than 700, it is what it is.

Not a critcize, sorry. i have been thinking about it for myself. The oil pressure. I cant see mine either. I have the cp-e but i do not have the laptop anymore to do datalog and thought maybe you could : )

Mazda Canada has just released a warranty extension program that extends the repair of this issue to 7 years or 140000Km. This is nice since in Canada the turbo was not covered under power train warranty. All Canadian Speed6 owners with this issue should contact their dealer for repair. Mine is going in next Friday, finally...

I suppose after 30000miles i experience some turbo leakages in my CX-7.
I will try a little thicker synthetic oil. I believe 5-30w oils with Kinematic Viscosity @ 100C, cSt around 11-13 will do the work. DEXELIA has 9.8 and a good synthetic 5w-40 has around 13-14.

Now, the new kit from mazda has a significant problem to install if you have changed the turbo inlet. What they have done is to move the ventilation hose closer to the turbo because the stock turbo inlet sucks and creates significant drop of pressure. In this way, there is more vacuum effect during idle in the cylinder head cover.

I believe with being more careful to the Kinematic Viscosity @ 100C on a 5w-30 oil and having a better turbo inlet, one can have the appropriate vacuum to drain the oil from turbo.

Last edited:
I have posted twice so far on this smoking turbo problem.

It began with my 2008 Mazdaspeed 3 at the 10,000 mile mark.

To save readers from having to search for what happened at the dealership, I have cut and pasted that post here:

Went to the dealer, Brown's Mazda, Fairfax, VA, where I bought the Speed3 a little over a year ago.

Spoke to both the service rep with whom I usually deal and with the service manager.

They said the fix would be a multi-step process; first step would be to switch to synthetic oil and see if that fixed the problem. If it did not, they would photograph the smoke, send it to Mazda, and get approval from Mazda for the next step, which they never did clearly define.

In any event, the switch to synthetic, for which they did not charge me, has fixed the problem for the time being. They let it idle at the dealership: no smoke. Later that week, I was driving in Washington, DC, on a 90-degree day and had to wait outside a building for someone on an errand. I sat there with the car idling for a full 20 minutes and there was no evidence of any smoke from the exhaust.

Their bill noted:
Code PO441 and PO455
Diagnose and replace purge valve
F0008XDX - F0621XRX

PART NO. L3K9-18-7408 Valve, solenoid.

Final note on the bill:
Due to concern of smoking out exhaust, we performed synthetic 5w40 oil change as per Mazda and directions as step one toward concern for repair.

Well, it's back, at 30,000 miles. Using my iPhone, I have made three videos of the smoking exhaust over the past ten days. I called the dealership to arrange to come in for an oil change on Monday, told them about the problem, and they said that since they had already tried the switch-to-synthetic oil fix, that I will probably require a new turbo and that it will be covered by the vehicle warranty.

Latest posts

Back