2016 CX-5 EPB puzzle

:
2016 Mazda CX-5
2007 Ford F-150
ok, I guess i screwed up not fully reading/understanding my first adventure into proper service-mode in order to replace rear pads on our 2016 CX-5 w/ EPB

I removed caliper first, before entering service mode, but was able to get caliper-piston recessed back to accommodate the new pads

I got both sets of rear pads replaced and then exited service-mode

I can engage the EPB and it does so with no errors and certainly holds the car in-place, and then can disengage the EPB just fine allowing it to move.
However, if I re-engage the EPB when the engine is just running(not rolling/moving), I can't disengage it unless I power off the ignition and power it back up from full off-state.

I've gone thru numerous times re-enabling/disabling the EPB service-mode in the hopes that this cycle of events will reset it to no avail.

Am I doing something wrong, missing a step, or did I possibly gork something up in the process ?

Thanks in advance for any help & insight into this puzzle

ok, I guess i screwed

I removed caliper first, before entering service mode, but was able to get caliper-piston recessed back to accommodate the new pads

I got both sets of rear pads replaced and then exited service-mode
We seem to see a lot of this issue on this site. Try searching a bit on here for other threads on the subject for starters.
Anyway, your first mistake was entering service mode after removing caliper, which I guess you now know.
What I'm curious about is: how you managed to get the piston recessed back into the caliper after it extended out?.
Please share.

yes, i recognize my mistake now and trying to correct it, but am in unfamiliar territory

i removed the elec-module from the rear of the caliper and pressed back the piston

We seem to see a lot of this issue on this site. Try searching a bit on here for other threads on the subject for starters.
Anyway, your first mistake was entering service mode after removing caliper, which I guess you now know.
What I'm curious about is: how you managed to get the piston recessed back into the caliper after it extended out?.
Please share.
Yep, there should be a sticky..."if you screw up your EPB..."

yes, i recognize my mistake now and trying to correct it, but am in unfamiliar territory

i removed the elec-module from the rear of the caliper and pressed back the piston
This writte-up should help you:

《Guide》How to rebuild 2017 CX-5 Rear brake piston (didn't put into maintenance mode)

Honestly, you should consider to get a pair of updated rear disk calipers as the original ones on your 2016 CX-5 are prone to drag or lock-up the brakes with EPB.

TSB No. 04-001/18: Noise from Rear Brakes Due to Brake Dragging

E16EA93B-790C-4ED7-9F8E-1B3F561562F7.jpeg

Last edited:
The EPB actually makes things easier if you think about it, no special tool to turn in parking brake caliper pistons...

The EPB actually makes things easier if you think about it, no special tool to turn in parking brake caliper pistons...
From my experience, if the rear has disk brake and the mechanical parking brake utilizes the same disk brake system, turning the piston is needed to push it in. It’s like that on my 2001.5 VW Passat GLX and that’s my first car in that way and requires a special tool. The rear disk brake on my 2000 BMW 528i doesn’t need turning the piston to push in just like the front disk brake. That is because the mechanical parking brake has its own drum brake system in the rear. The rest cars I have owned including my 1998 Honda CR-V EX AWD all have drum brake at the rear with mechanical parking brake.

Apologies for the delayed response, but been waiting for warmer weather up here in the Rockies.

After swapping the existing actuators L<->R to see if the problem followed(it didn't), I then focused on the suspect caliper and once I changed it out with a new one, all is right with the world again :)

It was just weird that prior to this repair-endeavor, I could get the EPB to engage & disengage properly(tested w/ both wheels off and entire rear-end lifted to check simultaneously). However, if I engaged the EPB while ignition/engine on and then went to disengage it(like when I exited the running vehicle to check the mailbox), it would not disengage. I would then have to turn the engine/ignition off and back on, and then the disengage would work just fine ?

Hope this helps someone else going forward since I have yet to find any similar posts that had my 'exact' issue/behavior.

Last edited:
Back