Would you buy a MAZDASPEED2?

Would you buy a MAZDASPEED2?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I think that the 2, which for all intents and purposes launched the new movement of fuel efficient cars from Mazda, deserves to undergo the SkyActiv treatment that everything else is undergoing. If they are getting around 40 mpg from the SkyActiv 3 at the moment, why not push for 50 from the SkyActiv 2?

I think that the 2, which for all intents and purposes launched the new movement of fuel efficient cars from Mazda, deserves to undergo the SkyActiv treatment that everything else is undergoing. If they are getting around 40 mpg from the SkyActiv 3 at the moment, why not push for 50 from the SkyActiv 2?

Exactly. Automobile manufactures seem to give up an cars rather quickly these days.

I don't think the normal 2 is going to make it much less a MS2.

It really needs something to set it apart.

Basically there is nothing about it that makes me say damn I want that car because _________.

If it was cheaper I would be considering it, like $11k base.
or
If it had the 2.5mzr I would consider it.
or
If it got mid 40's MPG via skyactive I would consider it.

Until then I don't see why someone would choose this over the Mazda 3, other than the retarded front fiasco the 3 has.

There is only one thing that has not been done to any sub-compact car. The sad thing is that Mazda does it well and I wish they would implement it in all of their cars.

1. 4 wheel independent suspension
2. give the 2 the 2.0 skyactiv engine
3. starting price of around 16k
4. MOST IMPORTANTLY...make it RWD

Then throw it in the face of the automotive world.

I have a feeling Mazda does not have enough employees and they can't multitask well. They are focusing on CX-5, Mazda 3, Mazda 6, and the new MX-5. I only see commercials for the Skyactive 3 and CX-5. But I never saw a commercial for the 6 or MX-5 or any other Mazda recently.

They scrapped the CX-7 and Rx-8 and I'm pretty sure they forgot about the CX-9, Mazda 5, and Mazda 2 since they are poor sellers that not many people actually know exist.

Nissan just redesigned 5 new cars in their line up all for 2013-14 and they are thinking of bringing a new sporty coupe or hatchback to the market and now a new GTR is confirmed. Mazda needs to learn from them and focus on improving all cars instead of focusing on only the good sellers. Using Mazda 3 parts, they can easily make a Mazdaspeed 2 and still be profitable. They are just too lazy.

Also, they made a mistake by releasing 2014 Mazda 6 pictures early. By the time it actually comes out, the car will feel older since we already knew how it looks inside and out since July 2012. Less people will be excited about it. The new redesigned 2013 Altima pictures were released about 3 months ago, and it is already out for sale. I saw three of them yesterday on my way home from work.

I have a feeling Mazda does not have enough employees and they can't multitask well. They are focusing on CX-5, Mazda 3, Mazda 6, and the new MX-5. I only see commercials for the Skyactive 3 and CX-5. But I never saw a commercial for the 6 or MX-5 or any other Mazda recently.

They scrapped the CX-7 and Rx-8 and I'm pretty sure they forgot about the CX-9, Mazda 5, and Mazda 2 since they are poor sellers that not many people actually know exist.

Nissan just redesigned 5 new cars in their line up all for 2013-14 and they are thinking of bringing a new sporty coupe or hatchback to the market and now a new GTR is confirmed. Mazda needs to learn from them and focus on improving all cars instead of focusing on only the good sellers. Using Mazda 3 parts, they can easily make a Mazdaspeed 2 and still be profitable. They are just too lazy.

Also, they made a mistake by releasing 2014 Mazda 6 pictures early. By the time it actually comes out, the car will feel older since we already knew how it looks inside and out since July 2012. Less people will be excited about it. The new redesigned 2013 Altima pictures were released about 3 months ago, and it is already out for sale. I saw three of them yesterday on my way home from work.

But at the same time, I found this on another forum:

"Winding Road reports Mazda are all but finished working on a top of the range turbo-charged Mazda2. The Mazda2 MPS will be based on the new generation Mazda2 landing in Australia come October.

Powered by a turbocharged four-cylinder 2.0-litre engine, the new hot hatch is expected to take on Mitsubishi’s Ralliart Colt and the new Ford Fiesta XR4. The Mazda2 MPS is expected to have over 160kWs of power and sprint from 0-100km/hr in around 6 and abit seconds.

The Mazda2 MPS will ride on 17″ alloys while power goes through the front wheels coupled to a six-speed manual gearbox. Given its FWD setup, Mazda are likely to include a limited slip differential (LSD), traction and dynamic stability control as standard.

Having raided Ford’s parts bin, the Mazda 2 MPS may also feature Volvo sourced 320mm front brake discs.

We hold high hopes that Mazda Australia will the hot hatch here. We expect the Mazda 2 MPS to retail for around $28-29,000 AUD."

If they make one, release it to Australia only, and keep it away from the U.S., I will feel betrayed by Mazda.

Well the problem is that neither the Ralliart Colt nor the Fiesta XR4 are being brought to the US. While I seem to remember Ford bringing a ST version of the Fiesta over along with the Focus ST which will go on sale later this year, the car doesn't have a direct competitor to it over here in the states.

But at the same time, I found this on another forum:

"Winding Road reports Mazda are all but finished working on a top of the range turbo-charged Mazda2. The Mazda2 MPS will be based on the new generation Mazda2 landing in Australia come October.

Powered by a turbocharged four-cylinder 2.0-litre engine, the new hot hatch is expected to take on Mitsubishis Ralliart Colt and the new Ford Fiesta XR4. The Mazda2 MPS is expected to have over 160kWs of power and sprint from 0-100km/hr in around 6 and abit seconds.

The Mazda2 MPS will ride on 17″ alloys while power goes through the front wheels coupled to a six-speed manual gearbox. Given its FWD setup, Mazda are likely to include a limited slip differential (LSD), traction and dynamic stability control as standard.

Having raided Fords parts bin, the Mazda 2 MPS may also feature Volvo sourced 320mm front brake discs.

We hold high hopes that Mazda Australia will the hot hatch here. We expect the Mazda 2 MPS to retail for around $28-29,000 AUD."

If they make one, release it to Australia only, and keep it away from the U.S., I will feel betrayed by Mazda.

So 160kws roughly translates to 217 hp

And 29k AUD is about 29.6k USD

Pass.

Hopefully at that price it is done up like the B-Spec racing cars.

I don't think we can take that article very seriously. It was reported in 2007. LINK. And no way would it be that expensive. It would be a risk for Mazda just to make and sell a Mazdaspeed2 none the less sell it for around 28-29G's.

If it was actually made don't hold your breath for it to land in the US.

I don't think we can take that article very seriously. It was reported in 2007. LINK. And no way would it be that expensive. It would be a risk for Mazda just to make and sell a Mazdaspeed2 none the less sell it for around 28-29G's.

If it was actually made don't hold your breath for it to land in the US.

No kidding, you could buy two for that price.

For 29K you could buy a Speed3, which is a much better platform for modifying and taking to the track, not to mention a far better aftermarket support system that is readily available here in the States.

If they made a Mazdaspeed 2 realistically what do you think the prices would be I'm shooting somewhere around 20 to 23,000 US

22 and 23 is mazdaspeed3 territory. 19 flat would be the target for a turbo 2.

Veloster Turbo is $22,775. Fiat 500 Abarth is $22,725. I'd think they'd try and undercut those two, but not by much.

I would buy one in a heartbeat if i could. i have a mazda 2, and dont get me wrong it is a fun car to drive but it really needs some more power

If only this was the MAZDASPEED2 and not the Ford Fiesta ST with 180hp and 177 pound-feet of torque. LINK

Lame how you can't get a Focus ST or Fiesta ST in 2 doors in the US or anywhere else for that matter. Same goes with our Mazda 2's in the US. It's a force feed you what we think you want America now. Shame.

LINK

There's an electronically controlled valve that opens and closes based on specific driver inputs???!!!!
Sym-poser!

Last edited:
If only this was the MAZDASPEED2 and not the Ford Fiesta ST with 180hp and 177 pound-feet of torque. LINK
Yeah even though that's from Autoblog I'll have to "believe it when I see it" when it comes to a near 200 bhp Fiesta. Even if we do see a "Fiesta ST" I'd expect final power numbers to be down around 150 bhp with a better compromise in fuel efficiency.

Lame how you can't get a Focus ST or Fiesta ST in 2 doors in the US or anywhere else for that matter. Same goes with our Mazda 2's in the US. It's a force feed you what we think you want America now. Shame.

LINK
Unfortunately they have to offer what sells or they lose money. Personally, I wouldn't have purchased a 2-door Mazda2 and I think the same goes for most Americans.

Back