Who likes/drives in SPORT mode?

The sport mode on some cars actually boosts HP levels, changes transmission shift harshness, among other things. The sport mode on the CX5 just keeps the engine in the power band RPM and it may make the transmission shift quicker but that I can't verify.

. The sport mode on the CX5 just keeps the engine in the power band RPM

Exactly. Which gives your better power, more quicker. So if I need to pull out in front of someone or something, I need more power quicker, the sport mode gives me better performance. It gets me the power quicker. The same power as if it was off, but at least quicker delivery.

Exactly. Which gives your better power, more quicker. So if I need to pull out in front of someone or something, I need more power quicker, the sport mode gives me better performance. It gets me the power quicker. The same power as if it was off, but at least quicker delivery.

My 1988 mustang had a Sport mode before I ripped out the AOD and put in a TKO500 Tremec. It was called leaving it in 3rd gear. So much fail.

I actually like it for decelerating. It downshifts quicker and slows the car down with engine... less braking. In town I'll put it in sport as I'm slowing down for a stop sign or red light

True, the CX5 it's just holding the shifts and compared to cars I have and have driven that increase throttle response and snap your head back. The CX5 in sport mode does nothing to make it faster and feels like it's going to blow up winding it out. Sport mode is useless without horsepower and programming to back it up. Sport mode in many other vehicles have additional settings which stiffen the suspension, steering, and basically unlock the full power potential of the vehicle. The Charger, as an example has a special key that you need to use to make it move of a rocket than it already is for track use.

True, the CX5 it's just holding the shifts and compared to cars I have and have driven that increase throttle response and snap your head back. The CX5 in sport mode does nothing to make it faster and feels like it's going to blow up winding it out. Sport mode is useless without horsepower and programming to back it up. Sport mode in many other vehicles have additional settings which stiffen the suspension, steering, and basically unlock the full power potential of the vehicle. The Charger, as an example has a special key that you need to use to make it move of a rocket than it already is for track use.

I have said I wouldn't buy another Nissan... but given an opportunity I might make an exception for a GTR.

Might be nice dialing in the "R" mode.

http://www.nissanusa.com/sportscars/gt-r

I don't really have an interest in the sport mode or the manual shifting of my CX-5. I have a 5-speed Mazda 3 for that. :) That thing is a blast to drive too (not that the CX-5 isn't).

I use manual mode 90% of the time. I realized driving in manual mode the AVG mpg went up, from 35-36 mpg I've had on the dashboard even 40 mpg, no joke. Yesterday, driving on 1-25, somewhere close to Castle Rock, 80-85 mph and the traffic in front of me stopped abruptly. I managed to stop within safe distance from the car in front of me thanks to the manual mode, because downshifting made I huge difference! If I would have been in the D mode I would've knocked that guy big time.

I use manual mode 90% of the time. I realized driving in manual mode the AVG mpg went up, from 35-36 mpg I've had on the dashboard even 40 mpg, no joke. Yesterday, driving on 1-25, somewhere close to Castle Rock, 80-85 mph and the traffic in front of me stopped abruptly. I managed to stop within safe distance from the car in front of me thanks to the manual mode, because downshifting made I huge difference! If I would have been in the D mode I would've knocked that guy big time.

I use manual mode about 80% of the time in my Mazda6. I can maintain high Mpgs due to upshifting AND better braking due to downshifted engine braking (no more than 3000 rpms). Sport mode doesn't use 5th and 6th gear so although I can accelerate with minimal hesitation my mpgs tend to suffer.

It's nonsensical that downshifting saved you from rear-ending another vehicle.

The CX-5 has the shortest stopping distance in it's class. This is tested by publications like Car and Driver and Motortrend but they do not achieve the shortest stopping distances by downshifting, they simply step on the brake pedal.

It's nonsensical that downshifting saved you from rear-ending another vehicle.

The CX-5 has the shortest stopping distance in it's class. This is tested by publications like Car and Driver and Motortrend but they do not achieve the shortest stopping distances by downshifting, they simply step on the brake pedal.

Could be the engine breaking in conjunction with physically braking. He was going 80-85 mph. If simply braking via the brake pedal he likely stays in 6th gear until maybe around 50mph where it downshifts. I wonder if he went from 6th gear to say 4th or 3rd gear? Doing so even without braking would slow him down a bit at the expense of his rpms screaming.

Last edited:
Could be the engine breaking in conjunction with physically braking. He was going 80-85 mph. If simply braking via the brake pedal he likely stays in 6th gear until maybe around 50mph where it downshifts. I wonder if he went from 6th gear to say 4th or 3rd gear? Doing so even without braking would slow him down a bit at the expense of his rpms screaming.

I really don't know. As I see it, the max is $300 for a brake job verses a $3000 dollars for a transmission replacement / some internals w.r.t. engine. Which is why, I don't see any value of engine braking.

As I see it, the max is $300 for a brake job verses a $3000 dollars for a transmission replacement / some internals w.r.t. engine. Which is why, I don't see any value of engine braking.

We're not talking about the CHEAPEST way to slow down, we're talking about the QUICKEST way to slow down.

The limiting factor is the grip of the tires. The best way to maximize that it to bring them all to the limit of adhesion as quickly as possible and hold them there. And the quickest way to do that is by using the brake pedal (not the engine).

Where I come from I grew up with manual, clutch and stuff. I understand the vast majority here do not drive in manual very often or don't really know how to use the engine to slow down the car.

Of course in conjunction with physically braking.

Okay, but how does engine braking help mpg? DFCO (deceleration fuel cutoff) is universal on fuel injected cars with computer control, AFAIK. Not sure how it behaves in AUTO. Should it not be that the revs should be matched to the selected gear... Engine runs leaner when engine braking, but one save more fuel when braking less, be it with your brakes or the engine. Simply put, when the throttle plate is closed the engine is only getting enough fuel to idle, FI or carb engine, it does not depend on engine RPM. By engine braking, someone is dragging the hell out of your engine with the clutch and transmission. The engine is not revving from feeding it air and fuel at the throttle body. No engine power is required while engine braking. The momentum of the car is being slowed by the engine's compression resistance, by means of the clutch and transmission.

MikeM, I would make a bet with you. Between you and me, driving with whatever speed you'd like. You slow down by simply pressing the brake pedal and I use pedal brake and engine. Guess who's gonna stop quicker and safer.

I really don't have a scientifical explanation but i've noticed it went up! Maybe because you have more control over you rpm. Using the manual mode you can stay in a particular gear longer. I guess.

MikeM, I would make a bet with you. Between you and me, driving with whatever speed you'd like. You slow down by simply pressing the brake pedal and I use pedal brake and engine. Guess who's gonna stop quicker and safer.

What do you mean by "quicker and safer"? I understand how to determine who stops more quickly (shortest distance) but what does "safer" mean?

It sounds like you are claiming publications like MotorTrend and Car and Driver who test many vehicles each year to determine the actual minimum stopping distances from various speeds could learn a thing or two from you. Because they don't use manual downshifting to haul the vehicle to a stop in the minimum distance.

Stopping distance is shortest when the tires are at the point called "threshold braking". The brakes are more than capable of achieving this condition and holding it until stopped. Downshifting is not going to make the tires grip any better so it's not going to shorten the braking distance. Not even a little bit.

Back