Who here has thought of trading in their CX-5?

>Chevy

Don't forget that GM was bankrupt just 10 years ago, due entirely to the "quality" of the product they were putting out.
As Hardrightedge pointed out so succinctly, QUALITY was absolutely not the issue. Quality was an issue in the 90s and the American auto makers learned a hard lesson. They've done nothing but improve since (I love typing this) -the turn of the century- and are every bit as good as the Japanese cars today.

They were so bad for so long, the damage had already been done.

Let's go back to 2002: who in their right mind would buy a Cavalier over a Civic, or an S-10 over a Tacoma?

They were so bad for so long, the damage had already been done.

Let's go back to 2002: who in their right mind would buy a Cavalier over a Civic, or an S-10 over a Tacoma?
Back in the 1960's, anything out of Japan was considered cheap junk. It took awhile to change that perception, too.

Actually the last few years of the Cavalier weren't that bad at all.

Back in the 1960's, anything out of Japan was considered cheap junk. It took awhile to change that perception, too.
Same with late '80s Hyundais when first sold in the US. The perceptual hangover still exists (and with Kia by association) otherwise they would not include an industry leading warranty.

Generally speaking, how far into a generation you go with a model year and powertrain the better. The particular model and year is the nub of it, not the badge. "Good" brands have bad cars, "bad" brands have good cars. A few exceptions apply, of course, such a Fiat on the low end and Lexus on the high end.

For 10 years / 150,000 miles I would seriously consider the Korean makes. Performance and features for cost along with anticipated reliability for the particular model year would be the deciding factors.

Based on sticker price, I'd take a 2022 Kia Telluride second trim level over a comparable 2022 Highlander ICE and it's not a close call. One problem--Telluride (and Hyundai Palisade to a slightly lesser extent) were sold with little or no discount off MSRP even before the pandemic because of low production relative to buyer interest. It's worse now for those models (and healthy bumps in MSRP for 2023) whereas 2022 Highlander can be had at MSRP which would alter the cost equation.

I'm just thankful I've got a few years to go before considering such a purchase. We'll be back to discounts off MSRP and end of model year clearances by then--maybe ;).

Last edited by a moderator:
My firestone all terrain tires are quiet...minimal road noise. No tire noise. it's wind noise. Wind hitting car and windshield is horrific. Second only to the loud AC fan noise.
It could be the windshield, the door weatherstripping or an opening in the body (missing seal or gap); this could be hard to find but good luck and let us know if you try another CX-5 (same year if possible) and what you found out. I hate noisy cars so I understand your situation ;)

My Dad had an 80's-era Cavalier. He got 400k miles out of it by the time it clunked out in the early 2000's.
My 70's era mustang was all Ford part's muscle car. In the 80's production became intermixed. I opted to go 4 cylinders to save gas and money. The 80's Chevy Nova had a 4 cylinder Toyota engine and brakes wrapped in a chevy suit. More than likely the chevy cavalier was part Toyota.

My wife had a 2016 CX5. She sold it end of October as she was given her two weeks notice of termination in October and the next job she thought she had was rescinded as the company couldn’t afford her hourly wages and their company budget wouldn’t allow them to hire someone else.
so we needed some cash to help us financially until her EI kicks in and she finds a job.
it helped that the CX5 was paid off. She is still sad she had to sell it off, but I told her in a couple of years when my CX7 is done, I will get a CX5 since I do like that little thing.

'2014 CX-5 Touring here. Probably will get CX-9 next month. Would certainly consider another CX-5 in the future. I am not a super car guy, but I do like that zipping around town can be fun in the Mazda. Even that 187HP 2.5L in mine still sounds nice when I floor it.

For me the Mazda CX-5 has been perfect. Only thing I am really looking forward to with a replacement is the tech and AWD. While we are likey getting the CX-9 and it will be the family road trip car, my CX-5 will remain my daily driver and I will be using it for solo road trips.

My wife had a 2016 CX5. She sold it end of October as she was given her two weeks notice of termination in October and the next job she thought she had was rescinded as the company couldn’t afford her hourly wages and their company budget wouldn’t allow them to hire someone else.
so we needed some cash to help us financially until her EI kicks in and she finds a job.
it helped that the CX5 was paid off. She is still sad she had to sell it off, but I told her in a couple of years when my CX7 is done, I will get a CX5 since I do like that little thing.
Careful. She might want a divorce for making her sell her CX5 :)

Went from a 2019 Civic Si to a 2021 CX 5 Sig because I was wanting something more "usable" and more of a carefree driver.
vps
After a year and a half or so' I find myself quite bored with the CX.
I don't really use any of the tech in the car, and it is not really as fun as I had hoped when driving back roads.
And my main gripes , which are the same as the SI, is that the stereo is meh, and it sucks to drive with the windows down or the sunroof open.
Too much wind noise.
Used to love going for late night drives through the country with every thing open and the stereo blasting with my older cars, but not these new ones.
Thinking of a WRX or BRZ with a manual now.
The usability of an SUV outweighs that of a sedan. I use the folding seats and cargo area all the time, and you won't be towing anything with a Civic or WRX.

Last edited:
Civic can tow 1,000 pounds. Ok, that means hardly anything but you can say nothing. :D

Lmao. Maybe a small trailer and a bail of hay... That's about it.
Only good for a hitch and maybe a bike rack.

Hey don't talk bad about 1000lbs towing capacity. I carry 2 bikes in my class one hitch on my cobalt..... lol

1670533351374.png

Back