When should I do my FIRST Oil Change on BRAND NEW 2011 Mazda 3 2.5 Hatch?

triumph808

:
2011 Mazda3 2.5 Sport
I have a brand new 2011 Mazda 3 2.5 Hatch and I am wondering how much mileage should I do my FIRST oil change. I remember the dealer telling me 7500 miles. I recently received a notice for changing oil at 3000 miles. I am at 5100 miles and I notice my gas mileage is decreasing from and AVG of 23 mpg to 21.8 mpg. I also feel the engine and accelerating slow down and have more of a rough feed back. I am not a light drive around town, but I don't pound it hard every time I drive. I would say on a scale from 1 to 10 I am a 7 1/2 for driving my car hard.

On another note, any recommendations on oil? I read an independent study about 3 years ago on Synthetic Motor Oil that did all sorts of stress tests and pollution tests, etc...and they compared Royal Purple, Mobile 1, Castrol, and AMS Oil. And hand's down AMS oil beat out all the rest. Was wondering if anyone has experience or can vouch for AMS oil. I know Royal Purple is good stuff too, but would like to put the "best low quality oil" (lol @ the oxymoron) in my car. I realize that putting high quality oil in my car will not increase horsepower or make my car go super fast, but I more or less do it to give it the best treatment so that my engine will last long.

Thanks for any and all advice.

My procedure has always been, oil & filter at 500 miles, 1200 miles, 5000 miles and just the filter at 2000 miles........Im using Mobil 1 Extended and will now change the oil & filter every 10000 miles and filter at 5000 miles.....Amsoil will be tried at some point......

every 5000, this is what the book recommends. The salesperson said 7500 to me too but the book says 5k or 3k for severe conditions. (the 2.5 might be different...)

I take it to the dealer, they do it free. They advertise and use mobil1.

anyways, change your oil *now* because it's always a good idea to do the first change early...

Back