Wheel/tire dimensions, with Corksport springs installed

tibimakai

San Dimas CA
:
USA
:
2014 CX-5 Touring
Soon, I need to buy tires for my 20" wheels and I would like to find out, what sizes are others using, with the Corksport springs installed, without rubbing.
I have 20", ET42, 9" wide wheels.
I'm wondering if 255/45R20 tires would fit well, or they are rubbing. Basically, which size would work without issues? 235,245 or 255?
I'm guessing, that 235s would be slightly stretched.
Any input from those, who have dropped there CUV, with the Corksport springs, it would be appreciated.

I'm on the oem set up so with 17 inches. No rubbing there but I feel 20 inches and 255 may be too much. And honestly, no reason to go that thick or big the the corksport springs, 18s or 19s would be fine.
My ride quality is fairly good with the 17s. I've heard others with the bigger wheel set ups with CS springs saying it is terrible though

Th wheel diameter, doesn't change anything. Th outer diameter stays the same(slight change, but that is way to small to affect anything).
Diameter wise I'm not concerned. The width could be an issue, since the wheels are 9" wide and the tires are much wider too.
Offset is higher then factory, so that should help some. The thing is that, I would like to be sure, before I would buy the tires and I install them.

Yeah my comment went a bit off topic, kind of just a warning...Anyway I do have 25 mm spacers on mine as well. No rubbing, with room to some room to spare

25MM? That makes it 25 MM offset(it's 50MM the factory offset, no?), no? It's not sticking out to much? You don't have issues when turning and hitting a bump at the same time?

That 40 profile, changes the tire diameter and it will show, 3MPH less on the odometer.
The total diameter, should not change, maybe slightly.
The wheel diameter, does not matter, if it's 15" or 22". The total diameter, width and the offset matters.
What I would like to find out is, the 255 tire sticks out more than the 245, it will touch something or not.
I have not installed it yet, because I would like to take care of the camber first, needed wheels and tires.
Now I have wheels, which I would like to repaint.
Slowly, I'm putting together the money for tires.
I just need to take care, of the camber somehow.

Your points are correct. The problem is that you're dealing with springs that lower the vehicle ~3" and wheels that are 9" wide on a 42et offset.

It's going to be difficult for you to maintain a near identical OEM tire diameter without rubbing during suspension travel.

25MM? That makes it 25 MM offset(it's 50MM the factory offset, no?), no? It's not sticking out to much? You don't have issues when turning and hitting a bump at the same time?[/QUOTE

I believe offset is 35mm? Don't quote me on that. But no problems with turning and hitting bumps, but I am supper careful when driving so it really doesn't happen often.

The offset, is or 50MM or 55MM. So if you added 25MM spacer, then deduct that, from that 50 or 55. So you have or ET25 or ET30. The smaller the number, more is sticking out. Mine is, ET40.
It should be sticking out, really good.

So, you are saying that I'm better off, with skinnier tires?

No. You won't be able to fit skinnier tires on a 9" wide rim.

If you'd like to use your 20x9 wheels and not rub through the whole steering/suspension travel, and maintain similar tire diameter to OEM (235 or 245/45-20), you cannot drop the vehicle over 3", no matter what camber adjustments you make. There won't be space in the wheel well for that mass.

Consider going H&R with 1.25-1.75" drop or Eibach (Europe) 1" drop.

245/45/20 with 8,5 J and Eibach lowering springs 25/25 F and R does not rub at all..............the Cork springs will get any further, I guess 30 or 35 mm.........

Dont do it. Unless you are going to get adjustable rear links as well for your bar dont get c/s low.

The problem you have is the 9" wide wheels and the 42 ET, especialy for the Cork Springs, I think with the 9" wide wheels you`d better be off with the H & R springs..........or Eibach, but I don`t think they`re available in the US........

Last edited:
what's the shock/strut situation with the C/S? 3.25" drop is certainly going to blow them VERY quickly and I've yet to see an aftermarket company come out with any to compensate the drastic drop.

probably not what you want to hear but the best option so far is the Tein Coilover setup, especially if you're wanting to go anywhere near the 3" drop C/S offers. I've been debating this coilover purchase for a bit now or just going with H&R, and being satisfied with a conservative drop. still haven't fully decided as I'm unsure of how far I'd like to go with modding the CX-5 at this point.

Back