What is this part and do i need it?

:
'08 Mazda 3s 5dr pearl white
Only respond if you actually know what you're talking about....

0625011137.jpg0625011136.jpg

its a little rectangular piece of metal mesh which from what I can see is just restricting air flow. It sits right after my k&n and before the MAF sensor. I just did a resonator delete which was a nice mod now I'm just looking to get even better flow.

Please I don't need any opinions on gains that I may or may not get, just if it needs to be there or not. Will it throw any cel's if its not there or anything like that.... from what i can see it does nothing but maybe make a slightly more uniform air flow coming out of the air box.... maybe....

Thanks guys

Won't get any better flow with a CAI or SRI than I have now with my setup. I deleted the resonator, put a tube coming from the bottom of the air box going down to the bottom of the chassis (same idea as a CAI) and I have a K&N filter.

A CAI won't give any better flow than that.

Anyway, I didn't put the part back in and car runs fine.

Well, now that you say that the car is fine, I'll give an opinion.
It just seems like another filter? If it sits right before the actual filter, it's probably meant to filter out the bigger than tiny speck objects.

I did not notice that part when I removed my resonator/intake assy. I installed an Injen CAI, and have noticed a little less low end (under 3k rpm) power. Did your intake design give the same result? The reason I ask is because I actually had the same idea but never tried it.

Last edited:
I'm possibly noticing a little less on the low end... possibly... but once on the highway up in the mid-high range with that air movin nicely, thats where i notice the gains. Actually what I did was just cut off the part of the tube leading out of the bottom of the air box and in to the resonator. Basically sawed it off of the resonator once it was out then screwed it back on to the air box hole. (had to make my own holes) .

Yeah that little filter didn't do anything except cause more restriction. Cars been running fine for about 50 miles. Hat you probably didnt see it cuz you have to disassemble the area right before the MAF sensor on the lid of the air box.

But yeah cars running nicely... Thinking of deleting the second cat/muffler soon and just straight piping it. and Balance shaft delete is happening at the next oil change for sure.

Thats what I figured burgmo. s**** pointless...

As far as the kit goes, hat... not sure yet, havne't done much research... figured I'd call the different manufacturers and ask them about them before buying. As well as posting a thread on here.... lets do it right now!

Latest posts

Back