What have you done to your P5 today?

I did a goof.

I used 5W20 on my last oil change in December and just now realized. That was about 2400 miles ago, and I've been regularly topping off from the same jug as well 😝.

If my assumptions are correct, 5W30 and 5W20 have a similar viscosity when cold, but the latter is slightly thinner at operating temp. Most engine wear happens at startup, so I believe I should be fine until my next change. I usually try to stick to the 3k mile interval for oil changes and it's fairly cold right now, so I'll just top off with 5W30 until the next change.

Clutch goodies arrived! Also, me struggling to get this box inside my apartment reminded me of just how out of shape I am🤣

Attachments

• 20210209_132537.jpg
    20210209_132537.jpg
    155.5 KB · Views: 104
Dumb/noob question:

Low beam bulb replacement?

Is there a clip on the 'power' plug that I'm not aware of?

From what I gathered on the internet all I need to do is pull and it should disconnect from the headlight assembly.

Your guidance as always appreciated.

Questions:

1. Trying to change a low beam bulb today and can't seem to pull the power cable off. Is there a clip that I am not aware about?

My understanding is that I should be able to pull that white plastic connector off.

2. Is there a way to service the fog lights without pulling off the bumper? I'm concerned all those plastic clips will not survive if I try to take it out. One fog light is cracked and the other needs a bulb replacement.

As always, your advice and guidance are always appreciated.

Questions:

1. Trying to change a low beam bulb today and can't seem to pull the power cable off. Is there a clip that I am not aware about?

My understanding is that I should be able to pull that white plastic connector off.

2. Is there a way to service the fog lights without pulling off the bumper? I'm concerned all those plastic clips will not survive if I try to take it out. One fog light is cracked and the other needs a bulb replacement.

As always, your advice and guidance are always appreciated.
Just replaced a low beam bulb yesterday and had a struggle getting the plug off too. The plug comes straight off with that rubber seal thingy, and yes, it's very stiff. I pulled the rubber seal thingy back to get more grip. Once it's unplugged, there's a wire clip thing that you need to unhook, and you'll be able to remove the old bulb which is plugged into like an adapter of sorts (goes from H7 bulb to white connector).

Edit: I'm sure someone can suggest some sort of dielectric grease to make the removal/install of the connector easier. Didn't do this myself though, so can't say personally.

You don't need to pull the bumper off to remove your fogs. In fact, while some people say that you need to jack the car up to reach the fog mount bolts from the bottom, I've done it several times by just reaching under and feeling around. It's been a while but I believe you have to move the plastic under tray out of the way a bit by removing some screws, and then you'll be able to get to the plugs and bolts to remove the fogs.

Edit: OH! Be very careful with the two philips screws that hold the lens onto the housing of the fogs. I ruined both on my car when I bought it because they were extremely tight and I stripped/broke off the heads. Your mileage may vary.

I lifted my protege5 with coilovers and I’m running some 215 60 r16 kinda a/s tires and it looks awesome and doesn’t rub at all. Oh and I have like 10 inches of ground clearance now.

Looks tough! It's got mini Subaru Forester vibes. How did you raise it?
Those spotlights look mint too

Our car uses JIS screws.
You might want to invest in a JIS screwdriver.
I stripped a lot of screws before I found out about the JIS screws and bought the right screwdriver.

Our car uses JIS screws.
I stripped a lot of screws before I found out about the JIS screws and bought the right screwdriver.
See, I totally wouldn't have figured that out on my own. So glad you mentioned it, thanks! Never realized JIS even existed or what the difference was. Will definitely grab one for next time I need to use it!

Our car uses JIS screws.
Where can I find one of these JIS screw drivers? I heard from the interwebs that there are so many fakes.

Just dropped off my snow covered P5 at my mechanic's for the clutch to be done, hopefully I'll get it back before the weekend!

Where can I find one of these JIS screw drivers? I heard from the interwebs that there are so many fakes.
From what I know, there was the original JIS that was used when our car was built, then they changed it slightly so that it is more compatible with Philips.
A JIS screwdriver (Japanese Industrial Standard) will work fine in a Philips screw, but a Philips screwdriver doesn't fit properly in a JIS screw head.
That's probably where the confusion stems from.

You can get them on line or at some hardware stores.
A stubby handled one can come in handy to work on your IAC.

Thread 'PSA: Know your screws! JIS vs Phillips (IAC valve, etc...)' https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/ind...rews-jis-vs-phillips-iac-valve-etc.123862298/

Last edited:
drove mine for the first time in 2-3 weeks. Really need to replace my leaky heater core hose which drips on the exhaust (hence why it has just been parked)

add a flush and fill kit while ur there......
Even before the leak, the coolant would go... somewhere. This car is no longer a daily at all, its a backup :(. Draining coolant, replacing hose with hope the plastic right angle connectors off the heater core dont break, filling it back up, then parking it again.
11.5 years and 259k miles (184k from me), mostly rust, uncomfortable ride (even with new suspension all around and LCA, bushings, etc, I've kinda moved on but Ill never get rid of it unless I have to.

Even before the leak, the coolant would go... somewhere. This car is no longer a daily at all, its a backup :(. Draining coolant, replacing hose with hope the plastic right angle connectors off the heater core dont break, filling it back up, then parking it again.
11.5 years and 259k miles (184k from me), mostly rust, uncomfortable ride (even with new suspension all around and LCA, bushings, etc, I've kinda moved on but Ill never get rid of it unless I have to.
Boy, do I feel that. I had to drive my mom's boyfriend Accord and that felt like a Bentley compared to my P5! So quiet and smooth. But I know that if I give up my P5, I'm gonna miss the feeling of being in a go kart.

Boy, do I feel that. I had to drive my mom's boyfriend Accord and that felt like a Bentley compared to my P5! So quiet and smooth. But I know that if I give up my P5, I'm gonna miss the feeling of being in a go kart.
OH MAN! So this is exactly it. I have a turbo 92 miata which is my actual gokart, then the p5 which still feels so tight. Steering, brakes, shifter (the twm short throw in this thing is still fantastic). Recently I bought an 03 tdi wagon and with the new suspension I put on it, this thing is like you said, a bently. So smooth and comfy even though its the same age as the p5.

the p5 and I have been through a lot. A few break downs but nothing serious, it moved me from CT to WA and then back again a few years later when it never should have made the trip in the first place. It will always be a special car to me. I have plenty of driveway space to keep it parked all the time, taxes are $70 a year on it, and insurance is like $200 a year, so there is no reason to give up having a backup up.

This jetta though... has been its own kind of fun and I look forward to getting to know everything about it like I do the p5

JvycsITl.jpg

Finally got my go kart back! I mean, Mazda Protege5! And wow, is a new clutch a world of difference. The clutch takes basically 0 effort to push in, the gates feel loose, and it doesn't feel like the car I'm used to at all. But anyways, here's my old clutch and everything in it so you guys can see how bad I roasted it! 🤣

Attachments

• 20210212_165741.jpg
    20210212_165741.jpg
    270.2 KB · Views: 122
First family trip and photo op with Nezuko. Man, this car is fun on the twisties. I'm just holding back or else my son will puke, hehehe.

Started with my suspension refresh by ordering Tein H.Tech last Friday. Gradually collecting bits as budget allows.

p4128267419-4.jpg

Back