What have you done to your CX-9 today?

Im glad Mazda is a great company who stands behind there products and replaced my transfer case without even as much as a complaint. I do feel sorry for those with FWD in one of these heavy beast of a vehicle though. :)

Im glad Mazda is a great company who stands behind there products and replaced my transfer case without even as much as a complaint. I do feel sorry for those with FWD in one of these heavy beast of a vehicle though. :)

(thumb) yep, I was just annoyed that pretty much every TC thread on here, someone will post the useful information of the FWD they are happy they got, lol :)

Wash it today....regretting get black (ugh) Although a good buff and wax should help...hopefully. For 27k miles in CO, the front is pretty chip free (no clear bra either). That's promising. My subaru's paint is so thin your fingernail can scratch it

Dipped the wheels black and painted the brake callipers red :D

Attachments

• IMG_4782.jpg
    IMG_4782.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 202
  • IMG_4780.jpg
    IMG_4780.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 182
  • IMG_4781.JPG
    IMG_4781.JPG
    760.4 KB · Views: 199
  • IMG_4774.JPG
    IMG_4774.JPG
    633.8 KB · Views: 184
Drove up a pretty good grade to go hiking yesterday and got a slight burning smell at the top. It was all paved, no grime or water on the road, and no oil change recently... Has me freaking out and thinking about this http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/show...Changing-CX-9-transfer-case-gear-oil-(photos) already at 3500 miles... Probably just paranoid, but the smell was pronounced.

sorry to hear about your problem, Voldsom, but I think you're good at such low mileage, there's no known issues of transfer case failure at 3500, if they're going to go they will usually go around the 30K mark since that's when the oil starts to break down.

if you're really worried, it wouldn't hurt to follow the how-to instructions and just check the plug for any sludge or black oil, trust me no oil will be gushing out when you unscrew the plug, the oil level is just below the plug, but at only 3500 I think you'll be ok, probably just slightly overworked her going up the hiking trail.

Last edited:
sorry to hear about your problem, Voldsom, but I think you good at such low mileage, there's no known issues of transfer case failure at 3500, if they're going to go they will usually go around the 30K mark since that's when the oil starts to break down.

if you're really worried, it wouldn't hurt to follow the how-to instructions and just check the plug for any sludge or black oil, trust me no oil why be gushing out when you unscrew the plug, the oil level is below the plug, but at only 3500 I think you'll be ok, probably just overworked her going up the hiking trail.

haha, yeah, I'm not too worried. It was just funny timing with all the TC talk last week that got me paranoid. :)

When we test drove a brand new one, there was a burning smell. I bet since it was so warm and your car had to work harder, it got a tad higher temp and burned something off. You've only driven it in the winter correct?

When we test drove a brand new one, there was a burning smell. I bet since it was so warm and your car had to work harder, it got a tad higher temp and burned something off. You've only driven it in the winter correct?

Hmmm interesting point mxer, that's true I've only had it since November. But we've had warm days before this last weekend as you know... Then again, this was driving up the hills around Red Rocks at relatively slow speed, so indeed, something could have just burned off... We'll see if it comes back :) I'm not worried unless it does, lol.

Just passed 4000 miles. Other than fuel economy I've been very pleased with the vehicle. at 18 mpg average over 5.5 months, which works out to $0.12/mile with an average of 23.2 mi/day. (I have an app called Road Trip that is wonderful and gives me charts, graphs, and data :))

^ Nice shot. How do you like the D5300? I'm still shooting with my really old D40 (when I want to take serious shots, most of the time I just use my iphone 6+ now).

I removed the OEM roof rack and installed the Thule that I had on my 6. It installed right into two of the fixed points for the OEM rack and, IMHO, looks great.

Sorry for the crappy cell phone pics. I'll try to take better ones later.

Thule%252520-%2525203.jpg

Thule%252520-%2525202.jpg

Thule%252520-%2525201.jpg

Anyone want ant to buy the OEM rack? :D

Last edited:
Installed a homelink mirror Saturday. $50 ebay pickup. Tapped constant and ground power at the overhead light and ran a wire down to the BCM for switched power. Didn't bother with the reverse override wire since the old SUV didn't have that feature on it's homelink and it was never an issue for us.

Nice! Everyone givin' their 9's some love.

Hood deflector and side vents done today

I'm interested in more pictures of the hood deflector... That looks pretty nice and lower profile than the Mazda one... How do you like it with the break in the hood?

@colnago1331 your Thule rack looks really nice on the 9! Did you need any new hardware or did it just swap straight over?

@eskimo0101 I like my D5300 quite a bit, but the new 5500 is even better, thanks to the touchscreen (first for a Nikon DSLR). everything else is the same though. Really lightweight body, good features and controls, happy with it so far. Side note, funny that EXIF data that sticks around, even if you post a direct link from photobucket, a little creeeeeepy :p

@eskimo0101 I like my D5300 quite a bit, but the new 5500 is even better, thanks to the touchscreen (first for a Nikon DSLR). everything else is the same though. Really lightweight body, good features and controls, happy with it so far. Side note, funny that EXIF data that sticks around, even if you post a direct link from photobucket, a little creeeeeepy :p

Yeah, EXIF is buried in the file header and unless you have photobucket/flickr set to strip it you can always pull it from the file.

Back