What have you done to your CX-5 today?

It's going to make you feel a lot closer to your car. Have fun!

I wouldn't bother with ramps. I have just put them out on the cirb, two weeks ago. They can be dangerous as well. It the floor is smooth they can slide, you need somebody to help you getting on it. Just get two jack stands and a floor jack.

I used to use ramps. I loved them. There's simply no safer option imo.

6801571f6bf5711573d940001d1de0da.jpg
501a691e739d11676c0e1ff2be6a2aba.jpg
4bebab8ddc5cc4628605d8fe87a40b2f.jpg

b92f7156c8cf3bb0f286a6394eb69362.jpg

Added some led side emitting lights sowed in the panels. Can be changed by phone app to any color or different modes. It took about 16 hrs to complete the project. About 4 hrs for each door panel removal, and stitching. Nothing is glued or wired directly to the harness. They are plugged into the cigarette lighter splitter box. Stitches can be removed if need be. Hope I guys like it!

I wouldn't bother with ramps. I have just put them out on the cirb, two weeks ago. They can be dangerous as well. It the floor is smooth they can slide, you need somebody to help you getting on it. Just get two jack stands and a floor jack.

I used to use ramps. I loved them. There's simply no safer option imo.

My garage is incredibly narrow. Unless jacking from the front (can you?), no way I can jack the car up from the sides. Impossible actually.

Ramps really the only option. I'm 6'0", 225 lbs. none of which is muscle ;)

Added some led side emitting lights sowed in the panels. Can be changed by phone app to any color or different modes. It took about 16 hrs to complete the project. About 4 hrs for each door panel removal, and stitching. Nothing is glued or wired directly to the harness. They are plugged into the cigarette lighter splitter box. Stitches can be removed if need be. Hope I guys like it!

Nice nice nice-exactly my taste-good job-well done-respect!!

Cheers 101

Ramps are MUCH safer than jack stands.

Just put a piece of rubber-backed carpet under each ramp and your problem is solved. I get mine up on ramps every time I service it with no assistance. The trick is to place them directly in front of the wheels and gently drive up them. The hillholder feature on the 6AT actually helps as you can stop half way up and not roll back down when you release the brake.

Normally I'd find something like this super tacky but that's cool.

My Rhino ramps don't.slide - smooth garage concrete floor. I drive on by myself no issues.

Any tool can be used the wrong way.

Your example of a car on jack stands, I can shove it off and topple the jack stands. That doesn't make the jack stands more dangerous or the ramps safer.

My Rhino ramps don't.slide - smooth garage concrete floor. I drive on by myself no issues.

Any tool can be used the wrong way.

Your example of a car on jack stands, I can shove it off and topple the jack stands. That doesn't make the jack stands more dangerous or the ramps safer.
Yep those are what I picked up.

Anyway, going to do this tomorrow! Wish me luck!

If you are not a big person, some 2x8 or 10 either one or two pieces will be enough to get under there. Easy and cheap.
Thiss what Ive been using changing the oil on my CX-5 and BMW 528i. I prefer to keep vehicle as level as possible while draining the oil.

Yep those are what I picked up.

Anyway, going to do this tomorrow! Wish me luck!
Make sure to read this excellent tomcat1446’s post:

CX-5 Oil Change with Filter

Or entire thread if you have time. ;)

The use of 8mm hex head drain plug is unique to CX-5, and oil quantity with oil and filter change specified in owner’s manual is incorrect. It should be about 5.2~5.3 quarts instead of 4.8 quarts for SA-G 2.5L, but most people put 5 quarts of fresh oil for convenience and leave the oil level between “Add” and “Full” mark on the dipstick.

Last edited:
I prefer to keep vehicle as level as possible while draining the oil.
This really depends on the vehicle. On my Saab the drain was at the back of the oil pain towards the rear. In that case, Picking up the front end was actually advantageous.

Make sure to read this excellent tomcat1446’s post:

CX-5 Oil Change with Filter

Or entire thread if you have time. ;)

The use of 8mm hex head drain plug is unique to CX-5, and oil quantity with oil and filter change specified in owner’s manual is incorrect. It shoukd be about 5.2~5.3 quarts instead of 4.8 quarts for SA-G 2.5L, but most people put 5 quarts of fresh oil for convenience and leave the oil level between “Add” and “Full” mark on the dipstick.

Thank you!

I noticed this with some videos I watched too. I plan to just use the whole 5qt jug.

Back