What did you pay for your CX-5?

Following up since I am trying to secure a vehicle in the near term. I price shopped with SF (Royal) Mazda and they said they would offer me the GT-R or Sig at MSRP, but the other variants are going to be marked up.

With the GT-R MSRP at $38K and the CE Turbo model at $36K shown below, what would be the right choice? I know that its subjective, and I am really partial to that color combination offered by the CE but I know value wise that the GT-R probably takes its number.

BTW, been to other dealerships (Toyota - Venza) other than Mazda, and the stories are the same. MSRP +++ and inventory is picked up or reserved in a short window of time. Bad time to be a buyer but remote work is ending =(
PMed you already. Not sure I can mention dealer and name of salesperson here in the forum.

I guess we're buying the wrong car. My Sister in law is on a wait list and is getting a 2023 C8 for the price of a 2022 - but then she works for a GM vendor

Anyone can buy a C8 at MSRP. You just need to wait.
There are plenty of dealers selling at MSRP.
Big dealers like Ciocca and Kerbeck have plenty of allocations.
Wait time is about 8-10 months.
Maybe she can get it faster since she works for GM... Good for her.

If you don't want to wait, pay the $15k to $25k ADM, and you can get one today.
I have been thinking about getting one since it was announced in 2019....
Could not pull the trigger.... yet.
Reliability concern and long wait. Both are discouraging.

If you have a trade, consider the increased trade value, if you have a trade, relative to an MSRP or higher sales prices. Here's an update to something I posted earlier.

I record the trade values on my vehicles on a quarterly basis, so here are a couple of examples showing the in the mid-point of kbb.com trade values over the last nine months.

My 2020 Touring has no options except the Soul Red paint and AWD which I've designated to be in excellent condition. For my zip code the kbb quarterly low trade point was $21,947 on 12/31/20 with about 6,500 miles on the odometer. Then the supply shortages kicked in. As of 9/30/21, kbb is showing $27,762 with about 11,500 on the OD. More recently, there's a $1,600 bump just since 6/30/21.

The kbb value is now about $1,500 more than I paid for it (excluding tax and title) over a year ago as a dealer loaner with 4,000 on the OD. Crazy, right?

My 2014 Sienna LE with no options which I have designated "very good". It has about 98,000 on the OD with the kbb trade midpoint at $13,484 of 9/30/21. Back at the 12/31/20 low point it was 10,233 with about 5,500 fewer miles. More craziness.

While results may vary somewhat by zip code, the moral of the story in clear considering the counterfactuals. If you have a clean vehicle to trade of relatively recent vintage, what would the deal looked like if there were no shortages? Does it matter if today you can get an extra $3,000 or something even approximating that extra crazy $6,000 on my CX-5 in trade while the price of the new is at or somewhat above MSRP? No, it does not.

Then the question becomes whether you can find the trim, color, whatnot that you want. When new cars once again start flowing out of factories, whenever that might be which does not appear to be anytime soon, the trade values will plummet.

The moral of the story is if you need or just want to trade and balk at MSRP or above on principle, you may be cutting off your nose to spite your face.

Now, a buddy of mine near Ocala, FL was helping a lady friend shop for a Kia Telluride. The local dealers were firm at $5,000 to $10,000 over MSRP depending on trim. That's beyond the pale that no increased trade value will fix, so particular locations, situations and preferences apply.

If you don't have a trade and buy at MSRP or above, or if you must buy and can only afford used with the intent of keeping the vehicle just a few years, you'll be getting a multi-thousand haircut when you move on to the next one assuming chips are plentiful by then.

Last edited by a moderator:
FWIW, I have a relative who knows GM from the inside out. They initially anticipated the chip shortage and supply chain to be a problem that would ameliorate in Q4 2021. Now they don't even see that happening in Q1 2022. Can he guarantee it? No

Does it matter if today you can get an extra $3,000 or something even approximating that extra crazy $6,000 on my CX-5 in trade while the price of the new is at or somewhat above MSRP? No, it does not.
Ding Ding Ding.

A lot of people are so up in "Wow, Acme Mazda gave me as much as I paid for my car when I bought it used last year" They didn't 'give' you anything. They adjusted for current market,, just as they did when they charged you MSRP, plus DOC fee, plus $699 window tint and $399 ceramic wax for the 2021 you just bought from them. - You're at the same net as if there was no trade premium and they were discounting new cars.

I got my 2020 Sig in April 2020 for $6,000 under MSRP total before Tax and license only. No trade. So, what's the difference if it was today and they gave me $6,000 over what a trade would have been valued at last year Had I had a trade) but sold me the new car for full MSRP? ($6,000 more than last year) - Zip, Nada, zilch, goose egg, naught, nothing.

Now, if you're not getting a new car and just selling, that's a different story - but you should be going private sale. In 2015 I bought my Miata GT for $18,000. Last month I sold it for $2,000 less than I paid 6 years prior, but am not replacing it, so that is a win due to the current market situation

FWIW, I have a relative who knows GM from the inside out. They initially anticipated the chip shortage and supply chain to be a problem that would ameliorate in Q4 2021. Now they don't even see that happening in Q1 2022. Can he guarantee it? No
Given the fact it keeps getting worse, Q1 2022 sounds optimistic. From the buyer's standpoint there is also the pent up demand factor in pricing going forward.

US car/light truck sales were down about 2.3 million in 2020 vs. 2019 on weakened pandemic demand, particularly early in the year. So far this year through September, sales are down about 1.5 million from the same period in 2019 pre-pandemic. Sales were not too bad earlier in 2020 but it is pretty evident makers were living off chip inventories, 3 chips go out for every 2 coming in, or something like that, as evidenced by rapid deceleration in sales since July 2020. The numbers are here:

In the coming months and quarters, it's not just a question of when and how many chips flow through to manufacturers. There is also pent up demand that will show up when more vehicles hit the lots, continuing upward pressure on dealer prices until end buyer demand and vehicle supply reaches some kind of normalized equilibrium.

I would expect that the comeback will be uneven across manufactures or models. If one particular chip is sourced through a single manufacturer that has a large backlog or is struggling to get up to speed, that's a continuing delay. If the supply is diversified through multiple sources the odds a maker can get their hands on what they need goes up.

Of course Elon says he's swapping out chips for actuators. So there's that, as I roll my eyes.

Ding Ding Ding.

A lot of people are so up in "Wow, Acme Mazda gave me as much as I paid for my car when I bought it used last year" They didn't 'give' you anything. They adjusted for current market,, just as they did when they charged you MSRP, plus DOC fee, plus $699 window tint and $399 ceramic wax for the 2021 you just bought from them. - You're at the same net as if there was no trade premium and they were discounting new cars.

I got my 2020 Sig in April 2020 for $6,000 under MSRP total before Tax and license only. No trade. So, what's the difference if it was today and they gave me $6,000 over what a trade would have been valued at last year Had I had a trade) but sold me the new car for full MSRP? ($6,000 more than last year) - Zip, Nada, zilch, goose egg, naught, nothing.

Now, if you're not getting a new car and just selling, that's a different story - but you should be going private sale. In 2015 I bought my Miata GT for $18,000. Last month I sold it for $2,000 less than I paid 6 years prior, but am not replacing it, so that is a win due to the current market situation
Yes, there are missing variables in a lot of the deals posted in this thread. Dealers have a multi-prong approach to profit on the deal. $ off MSPR is only one prong in the deal. A dealer will sacrifice profit on the vehicle if he makes up for it in the other prongs: primarily the trade if there is one, financing, extended warranties, credit life and disability insurance, a gouged doc fee, paint protection and other add-ons, whatnot.

Sales tax is irrelevant and requires no mention, at least for US buyers where you are taxed in the state where you live. It is both non-negotiable and unavoidable if it applies and has nothing to do with the deal. Even if you cross state lines into a low or no-tax state, you pay your state's tax when you register it.

As for selling a used car, some posters have written favorably about what Carvana paid out. I wish I had thought of that before my last trade for comparison. I had one quote on the trade from another dealer I used as leverage in the final deal. Vroom has a similar business model so they should be checked out as well I suppose. Personally, I avoid the potential hassles of a private sale; more power to anybody who's up to it. Either way, It is certainly a good time to sell a used car that is not being replaced.

This month Mazda has no rebates and the Loyalty rebate has dropped to from $750 to $500. My suggestion if you have a trade is to get a bid from Carmax (take it there so they can see it), Carvana, etc., and see if the dealer will match it (most should). That way you still get the sales tax credit if your state does that

This month Mazda has no rebates and the Loyalty rebate has dropped to from $750 to $500. My suggestion if you have a trade is to get a bid from Carmax (take it there so they can see it), Carvana, etc., and see if the dealer will match it (most should). That way you still get the sales tax credit if your state does that
Keep in mind Mazda manufacturer rebates are local or regional. The dealers in my area are not offering those rebates or any rebates. Last summer when I was shopping some folks were reporting $1.500 manufacturer cash back whereas it was not offered in my metro area.

Just got a 2021 GT White after being at the dealership for about 4 hours.
$33,530 MSRP
$33,905.62 OTD @ 10.4% sales tax, net of $3,500 trade-in (2013 Altima, 100k miles, practically in beater condition)

Unfortunately, time constraints prevented me from working on the deal more...Fiance has been waiting for me to get her an AWD SUV since February, and I kept going back and forth between CX-5 and 2022 Tucson Hybrid (among others). Partly because I thought I could somehow get a unicorn deal like I did for my own car, and I felt like I was shopping around for something I would like lol

In case helpful as a data point for others, bought a Mazda CX-5 Carbon Edition AWD (non-turbo) for MSRP ($31,530 incl. destination fee) + TTL today in the mid-Atlantic region.

Don't know if that was a good price, but seemed okay based on everything I have heard about Carbon Editions being hard to find - which was borne out when I was looking for one.

Dealership initially quoted a "market adjusted" price of like $2.5k over the MSRP. I told them I would pay MSRP and to call me if they were willing to sell it for that. After some back and forth and giving it a few days time they said they could do MSRP if I also financed through them. As that was my plan anyway I agreed and I was in and out of the dealership in two hours after a test drive (had tested my friends CX-5 before to know that was what I wanted).

Last edited:
Anyone know of any dealers that have 2021 Touring FWD CX-5s for sale at MSRP?? My local trusted dealer is out, and I have to replace two 2016.5 Tourings, both with under 25K miles on them, that got totaled 10 days ago when a retaining wall got taken out by torrential rains (20" in less than 12 hours). Still waiting on insurance to finalize, which should be this week....

Attachments

• B8CDB109-2759-46F8-B801-C855A64C9D9F.jpeg
    B8CDB109-2759-46F8-B801-C855A64C9D9F.jpeg
    155.9 KB · Views: 161
  • B13D4DAC-7066-4D47-B1E9-D43B3985B3C2.jpeg
    B13D4DAC-7066-4D47-B1E9-D43B3985B3C2.jpeg
    187.7 KB · Views: 155
  • 1DF02AF2-6626-405C-8299-21E62F46B29C.jpeg
    1DF02AF2-6626-405C-8299-21E62F46B29C.jpeg
    144.4 KB · Views: 141
I got an email from my dealer in ABQ pushing AWD at msrp, sorry it didn't mention FWD.

Anyone know of any dealers that have 2021 Touring FWD CX-5s for sale at MSRP?? My local trusted dealer is out, and I have to replace two 2016.5 Tourings, both with under 25K miles on them, that got totaled 10 days ago when a retaining wall got taken out by torrential rains (20" in less than 12 hours). Still waiting on insurance to finalize, which should be this week....
Damn that sucks!!!

My local dealers are selling CX-5 GT-R and Signature models at MSRP.
For lower end models, no. (+$500-$2k, depending)
On stickers, $5K ADM for all models.
In reality, higher end models are more negotiable. (hence, @MSRP)
This is near SF bay area.

PM me if you need the dealer/salesman info.
I am looking to buy a CX-5 GT-R/Signature, but they do not have the color my wife wants.

Back