What did you pay for your CX-5?

I am in SoCal.

I used CostCo just as a starting point to see where I should start my negotiations.

When did you get your price quote? Was it after 6/1 or before? Have you identified the largest dealers near you?

The most recent quote was as of yesterday. You're already ahead with auto buying programs like costco because you're starting at "invoice" or a smidge below (about $800-$900 off already), stack this with 1-2 incentives and you should be at or nearing 2k. I'm still new to this but being part of the club gave me a good head start. Get 2-3 dealers competing with each other and you should achieve a good discount. I'm in the NY tristate and I am literally conversing with a dealer in each of the three states.

Note: Before I even started this process I read through much of the lit James Bragg posted about the auto industry. It was pretty eye opening especially his bit on sites like Truecar and their allegiance to the auto industry and not consumers.Check out his 5 part series or skim his other articles. http://clark.com/voices/james-bragg/

You can get really great prices depending on how bad a dealer wants to hit their incentives at anytime of the year. It just depends. If reaching a bonus meant selling one more car and you were right there, you could even get 5K off. The point is that your price was probably an outlier and definitely not something that will be easy to get. If you weren't totally full of it you could at least tell us what dealer you used and we could verify it ourselves.

Towards the end of last month there were a couple people who got around $2,500 off MSRP. This is believable to me since they were in the right place at the right time and probably negotiated well. That price was not easy to get or customary. From what I've seen myself and from what others have said I think $1,300 off MSRP should be reasonably easy to get, but results will vary a lot. I am going to shoot for $2k off myself.

By the way, whether it is a lease or purchase it is the same thing.

I got $2800 off 2017 touring AWD on the last day of MAY, very happy, I think they need to make the sales target done that month and were willing to lose money on this. I would negotiate the last day of the month to get the biggest discount.

I'm looking at getting a '17 Grand Touring with the premium package. The MSRP is $33,665. What would good price be on that? Talked to a couple of dealers and they aren't coming down much at all, right around $33,150.

Seems I should be able to do better than that, no? I'm in the northeast if that matters...

I'm looking at getting a '17 Grand Touring with the premium package. The MSRP is $33,665. What would good price be on that? Talked to a couple of dealers and they aren't coming down much at all, right around $33,150.

Seems I should be able to do better than that, no? I'm in the northeast if that matters...

Absolutely do not bite. They are not even given you a 2% discount. I would try and aim for 5.5% - 8%. Let the dealerships compete.

Absolutely do not bite. They are not even given you a 2% discount. I would try and aim for 5.5% - 8%. Let the dealerships compete.

I agree. I wouldn't take anything under 7.5% off, and 10% is doable if you're patient and have a little time. Good
Luck...

No bueno! If you're not the best negotiator check out if your local bank or credit Union has an auto buying club. Or get a bjs or Costco membership. They work with certain dealers ans offer at vehicles at invoice or around it. That's a great starting point to start negotiating. But absolutely don't accept that!

Where are you located?

I agree. I wouldn't take anything under 7.5% off, and 10% is doable if you're patient and have a little time. Good
Luck...

No bueno! If you're not the best negotiator check out if your local bank or credit Union has an auto buying club. Or get a bjs or Costco membership. They work with certain dealers ans offer at vehicles at invoice or around it. That's a great starting point to start negotiating. But absolutely don't accept that!

Where are you located?

Located in MA. One of the problems is that specific model seems to be quite rare and hard to find, then factor in that I want a white one; there are only a couple within 75 miles or so. Will keep looking. I thought the prices dealers were quoting seemed high.

Located in MA. One of the problems is that specific model seems to be quite rare and hard to find, then factor in that I want a white one; there are only a couple within 75 miles or so. Will keep looking. I thought the prices dealers were quoting seemed high.

How much father are you willing to go past 75 miles, if any?

If anyone can give me some of their wisdom thatd be great since iam also a first time buyer for a car.. tmr iam heading over to the dealer and hopefully walk out with a car with a decent price. Any help amd advices with addition to the previous post i posted earlier yesterday, would greatly be appreciated.

If anyone can give me some of their wisdom thatd be great since iam also a first time buyer for a car.. tmr iam heading over to the dealer and hopefully walk out with a car with a decent price. Any help amd advices with addition to the previous post i posted earlier yesterday, would greatly be appreciated.

My advice would be if you haven't gotten any prices by email or a phone call alone, I wouldn't go to the dealer yet. Once you're there, they have the upper hand, and it's way harder to walk away, not to mention you can get a feel for what to expect price wise with some emails. Send a few out to several dealers and see what they're offering, and go from there. Good luck...

My advice would be if you haven't gotten any prices by email or a phone call alone, I wouldn't go to the dealer yet. Once you're there, they have the upper hand, and it's way harder to walk away, not to mention you can get a feel for what to expect price wise with some emails. Send a few out to several dealers and see what they're offering, and go from there. Good luck...

Really interesting, im on my phone when im replying to the thread but it seems that my post from yesterday got deleted ? What i posted yesterday was that i got a deal OTD for $28200 for the 2017 cx5 touring machine grey with iactive package (that includes the military rebate) .. msrp was i think $27780. Do you believe this is a good deal or what is the price point that i should aim for that would be considered reasonable and low? I live in california where the tax is high... 9-10%

Really interesting, im on my phone when im replying to the thread but it seems that my post from yesterday got deleted ? What i posted yesterday was that i got a deal OTD for $28200 for the 2017 cx5 touring machine grey with iactive package (that includes the military rebate) .. msrp was i think $27780. Do you believe this is a good deal or what is the price point that i should aim for that would be considered reasonable and low? I live in california where the tax is high... 9-10%

I'm guessing this is FWD drive? What's the purchase price of the car? See if you can calculate the difference between the MSRP and Selling price or the % off. 7-10% off is a good place to be. And lookout for Doc fees.

I'm guessing this is FWD drive? What's the purchase price of the car? See if you can calculate the difference between the MSRP and Selling price or the % off. 7-10% off is a good place to be. And lookout for Doc fees.

Yes this is fwd drive, the purchase price is out the door pricing right ? It is 28200. The msrp is 27780 without inluding the taxs and fees. What is doc fee may i ask? To calculate the percentage do i just take the total of both msrp (with taxes ?) And out the door pricing and divide it right ? Thanks

Yes this is fwd drive, the purchase price is out the door pricing right ? It is 28200. The msrp is 27780 without inluding the taxs and fees. What is doc fee may i ask? To calculate the percentage do i just take the total of both msrp (with taxes ?) And out the door pricing and divide it right ? Thanks

Well taxes and stuff are a given, so selling price is what matters. So for us saying you should get 7.5 to 10% for a good deal, you would want this...

27780 MSRP x .9 = $25002

Then, you would add your tax to the selling price.

After that, the fees come in (title and registration wich are also givens and vary by state) and the doc fee (a dealer fee for paperwork, it's BS, but it's how they make straight profit). It normally varies from $0 (states like Oregon I think) to as high as $799.

$25002+taxes+fees-rebates($500 military you said)=OTD price.

Once you establish an OTD price you're comfy with, you normally can bargain a little more to get floor mats,a few oil changes, etc. thrown in on top. Then commit to the deal, and enjoy your new whip...

Hope this helps...feel free to ask if you have any more questions. Good luck!

Last edited:
Well taxes and stuff are a given, so selling price is what matters. So for us saying you should get 7.5 to 10% for a good deal, you would want this...

27780 MSRP x .9 = $25002

Then, you would add your tax to the selling price.

After that, the fees come in (title and registration wich are also givens and vary by state) and the doc fee (a dealer fee for paperwork, it's BS, but it's how they make straight profit). It normally varies from $0 (states like Oregon I think) to as high as $799.

$25002+taxes+fees-rebates($500 military you said)=OTD price.

Once you establish an OTD price you're comfy with, you normally can bargain a little more to get floor mats,a few oil changes, etc. thrown in on top. Then commit to the deal, and enjoy your new whip...

Hope this helps...feel free to ask if you have any more questions. Good luck!

Thank you for taking your time typing this out for me. All these info really helps. Do you think its possible this early in the month to negotiate it that low ?

Thank you for taking your time typing this out for me. All these info really helps. Do you think its possible this early in the month to negotiate it that low ?

I definitely think you can negotiate right now (this is what I am doing)--Especially since this is a quarter ending month. I highly doubt that dealers are waiting until the last day of the month to see where they stand. I think you can basically get whatever you want at whatever price you set if they are desperate enough. It's great that you want to buy asap, but just make sure that you are prepared. Spend a few more days on here and arm yourself with as much knowledge as possible. And be prepared to walk/run away if something doesn't feel right.

Forgot to say that I am FAR from an authority on this subject but I am in your exact same shoes. I'm actually looking for the same trim with I-activ but with AWD.

Last edited:

This is a good price. You are only paying 420 above mrsp.

If tax is around 10% it looks like you're already getting a sig reduction off mrsp near 10%. I would just go for it if you can get the car now. Not worth it to haggle over a few hundred more dollars if you savor your time

I don't get why people always refer to OTD price. It just confuses everything. Taxes are different in every state so OTD price doesn't matter. What matters it MSRP and what price you get the car for before taxes and fees etc.

I don't get why people always refer to OTD price. It just confuses everything. Taxes are different in every state so OTD price doesn't matter. What matters it MSRP and what price you get the car for before taxes and fees etc.

That is true. Mention MSRP and % discount. Thats all. Everything else - Military / Loyalty / Student / Home owners / Live in Mississippi does not matter. It never did. You can walk in with a Toyota Sucks t shirt and get a Rav4 cheapest in that month.

Back