What did you pay for your CX-5?

Last week I purchased a 2016.5 CX-5 Touring AWD /w Moonroof package.

MSRP $28,545
OTD Price $25760 (-$2785 | 9.75%) + Sales Tax, Doc Fee, Property Tax, Licensing
VW TDI emissions buyback - so no trade-in

I couldn't get any local dealer to negotiate a price better than invoice ($27675 | 3%). I started reaching out to other dealers outside my region and found one willing to work with me. I exchanged emails and phone calls with a few dealers (Internet sales teams), letting them know I was ready to buy and wiling to drive a distance. It didn't take long to narrow down to a few that wanted to work with me and close a sale.

A couple of observations:

- TrueCar did not work for me. Only one dealer participated and the certificate was only ~$150 better than invoice. Another dealer not participating got really angry when I mentioned TrueCar. His reaction really surprised me. It seemed to hit a sensitive nerve.

- One dealer mentioned to me that most of the Mazda dealerships in the area were own by the same two people. Makes me wonder if they have agreements on not undercutting each other and this maybe why I was not able to get below Invoice pricing. They trade cars between themselves, which I suppose validates a friendly relationship.

- I think I got a great deal at 9.25% off MSRP. I've seen posts in the forum suggesting 10-13%. Based on my experience, if you get anything better than 8%, start signing. I don't think there is much wiggle room below that for the dealer. In my case, I don't think the dealer made much if anything. I was likely a loss to help reach a needed sale goal for the upcoming end of month/quarter.

- I was told by one dealer that 2017 models are weeks away from shipping. I thought suggesting clearing out inventory for the 2017 would help my case. I found that it had no impact with any dealer, at least not yet. 2016.5 inventory is depleting and specific colors/trim/packages are harder to find. Maybe it is still too soon. NOTE: I don't care for interior look of the 2017 CX-5 interior so I wasn't going to wait at the risk of not being able to find the exact car I wanted.

- One dealer suggested 2017 models are going to be more expensive. This could have been a strategy to convince me that the Invoice price was a good deal.

I hope this post helps others out there. Good luck to everyone going through this process.

Last edited:
Hey I'm just envious of you guys getting these deals. Back when I got mine in 2013, best I could get off was about 5%.

Glad to see better deals can be had now.

Got my 2014 touring for $26k with 0.9% for 5 years... wanted a GT but at the time dealers would not budge lower than $32k. So glad to hear you are getting them for $28-29k. My neighbor has a new Mustang 350r and he thought it was great so I'm sure you folks will too. It's not perfect but it does almost everything I need, so I plan to keep mine a very long time. It'll be 4 years old this summer, it still handles great and gets positive remarks everywhere I go.. maybe I'll keep it another 30+ years. Cheers

I'm going to pick up my 2016.5 CX-5 Touring AWD today! Blue reflex mica, black interior with cargo cover. Price (without taxes and fees and including $1,000 incentive) $25,114. With taxes and fees: $27,454 (MSRP was $27,470), but I have a down payment so I'm not financing that much. Not a great deal (a bit under 8.5%), but not terrible. The NY dealers were not willing to come down much. I'm finally a part of the Mazda group!

Last edited:
Congratulations. You have the same model as mine minus moon roof and bose audio. I have FWD though.

I'm going to pick up my 2016.5 CX-5 Touring AWD today! Blue reflex mica, black interior with cargo cover. Price (without taxes and fees and including $1,000 incentive) $25,114. With taxes and fees: $27,454 (MSRP was $27,470), but I have a down payment so I'm not financing that much. Not a great deal (a bit under 8.5%), but not terrible. The NY dealers were not willing to come down much. I'm finally a part of the Mazda group!

Better price than mine was by a bit.

Congratulations and welcome to the Mazda club!

I'm about to jump into the Mazda club and can't wait! (currently have a Tundra and love it, but mpgs are deadly in Cali)

For those of you who are planning on picking up a '17 in the next couple of months, what percentage below MSRP are you expecting/hoping to get? I guess it will all depend on initial demand, but does between 5-10% seem possible on a new model? I may have answered my own question, but figured I'd ask.

Good luck. In L.A., I could barely get 10% off a 2016.5. There are A LOT of unsold 2016s out this way; not sure if they'll be dealing much on the 17s. Have to wait and see.

Good luck. In L.A., I could barely get 10% off a 2016.5. There are A LOT of unsold 2016s out this way; not sure if they'll be dealing much on the 17s. Have to wait and see.

Yeah, I've been calling around over the last few days, and all of the dealers have a whole lot of 16.5's left. Even with a *really* good deal on the outgoing model, it's hard not to want to wait and see how the 17 compares.

Yeah, I've been calling around over the last few days, and all of the dealers have a whole lot of 16.5's left. Even with a *really* good deal on the outgoing model, it's hard not to want to wait and see how the 17 compares.

You should test drive both - think the 17 is more upscale and premium, both have something going for themselves.

I think you can do a 5% on 17 - but if its the most popular trim and color choice - no noooooooo. Luck is the big factor, as long as you have a car to drive around and wait you can do good.

Depends, if it's anything like it was trying to buy a 2014 back in 2013, best I could find in the area was around 5%.

Hello, everybody.

Im new in the forum. I live in Costa Rica, and here cars are really expensive. Just THE importation tax is around 54% in car value. Mazda in Costa Rica go full equipment on any version, leather seats and all the technology; they dont bring the regular seats, just leather, but they offer two versions, 4X4 2.5 and 4x2 2.0.

I was thinking to buy the CX-5 2016.5, regular price here is around $41.500, but then I look the new CX-5 and I really like it, the thing is I really dont know what to do, if I should wait on new or to take a great deal they are giving me because the 2016.5 is going on sale here, and they give me a good deal, I make a reservation for $37.000, thats around 10% discount.
Looking the MSRP in the US, around and considering they dont bring the basic version (I am ok with 2.0 engine) I think it will cost around $43.000 (that's the worst scenario, it can be less) the question here is. Is the new 2017 CX-5 worth $6000 more compared to the 2016.5.
I really dont want to spend +$40.000 on a car right now, but I can do it if its worth it.

Thank you for your replys.

Hello, everybody.

Im new in the forum. I live in Costa Rica, and here cars are really expensive. Just THE importation tax is around 54% in car value. Mazda in Costa Rica go full equipment on any version, leather seats and all the technology; they dont bring the regular seats, just leather, but they offer two versions, 4X4 2.5 and 4x2 2.0.

I was thinking to buy the CX-5 2016.5, regular price here is around $41.500, but then I look the new CX-5 and I really like it, the thing is I really dont know what to do, if I should wait on new or to take a great deal they are giving me because the 2016.5 is going on sale here, and they give me a good deal, I make a reservation for $37.000, thats around 10% discount.
Looking the MSRP in the US, around and considering they dont bring the basic version (I am ok with 2.0 engine) I think it will cost around $43.000 (that's the worst scenario, it can be less) the question here is. Is the new 2017 CX-5 worth $6000 more compared to the 2016.5.
I really dont want to spend +$40.000 on a car right now, but I can do it if its worth it.

Thank you for your replys.

I'd take a look at the features you need, especially in Costa Rica, and compare the models. Doubt heated seats and steering wheel is a concern for you. ;) The 2016 has a bit more storage space and ground clearance. The 2017 is quieter and may drive a bit smoother - I don't know what the roads are like in Costa Rica, so that may or may not be a concern.

Haelz, first of all I really love Joel Campbell - what a player superb.

You need to compare the spec sheets in costa rica - but in USA the 17 is offering some more things - rear heated seats / rear AC vents / Heated steering wheels / Power car seat with memory / power passengers seat.
Some of these are not available in 16.5 Another thing is - it will ride a bit quieter since Mazda has done a lot of work in reducing cabin noise.

Downside of 17 is low cargo volume - it is lower by 10% or so.
Looks are very different - i used to like 17 looks but now - not so much. It looks so sleek in the front but when you look at the whole car - the rest looks too fat. Disproportionate - the 16.5 actually looks very handsome to me.

So based on what I said - if there is no risk of all 16.5s being sold - WAIT ! and test drive both.

Haelz, first of all I really love Joel Campbell - what a player superb.

You need to compare the spec sheets in costa rica - but in USA the 17 is offering some more things - rear heated seats / rear AC vents / Heated steering wheels / Power car seat with memory / power passengers seat.
Some of these are not available in 16.5 Another thing is - it will ride a bit quieter since Mazda has done a lot of work in reducing cabin noise.

Downside of 17 is low cargo volume - it is lower by 10% or so.
Looks are very different - i used to like 17 looks but now - not so much. It looks so sleek in the front but when you look at the whole car - the rest looks too fat. Disproportionate - the 16.5 actually looks very handsome to me.

So based on what I said - if there is no risk of all 16.5s being sold - WAIT ! and test drive both.

Yeah, that's how I felt too, plus I didn't like the added chrome to the exterior. I really hate the look of the '17 personally.

Ultimately, I agree with the previous posters. I don't know anything about Costa Rica weather, roads, etc. So ultimately, look at the feature sheet and look at which will match better with what you are looking for and need.

Back