What are my options? P5 chroms 16's, one's bent.

livewire516

:
2002 Mazda Protege 5
I wish I had time to think things over, but my inspection is due and I know my front tires wont pass. My left front rim is also slightly bent. The honest truth is that I really dislike the chrome "premium" rims on the car so the idea of buying a replacement rim doesn't sit well with me. I'd like to get new rims. I plan to auto-x this car, so I certainly would like to reduce unsprung weight and reciprocating mass by buying a lighter wheel/tire combo, but I just started working for a non-profit, so higher dollar rim/tire combos aren't feasible. Also part of my work brings me into some serious lower-income neighborhoods of Philadelphia, so I'm legitimately concerned most aftermarket rims (and even these chrome 16's) may be conspicuous enough to attract thieves. So with my concerns and desires, I've arrived at these options:

1) If the one bent rim is repairable, suck it up and keep the chrome rims and get new tires mounted. Maybe sell them someday.
2) If it's cheaper to source a used chrome rim than repair, suck it up and buy that rim, get tires mounted. Maybe sell them someday.
3) Find a set of the same size alloy stockers. Get tires mounted. Where would I go about finding a set?
4) Find reasonably priced, inconspicuous, lightweight alloys. Maybe escape the 195-50/16 tire situation. Definitely get wheel locks- hell, maybe an alarm.

Any other options I've missed? What would you do?

Thanks so much

I would get 13 - 16 lb wheels. I used to buy my wheels at a site called jlbmotorsports.com but they went out of business. A second choice for wheels is here:

http://www.americastire.com/dtcs/wheels

You may have to call to find out weights but many Konig wheels are fairly light.

Another place to look (where wheel weights are listed) is www.tirerack.com

When you do shop for tires, consider 205/50/16s. There are many choices out there.

Thanks for the info. I decided just to straighten my stock ones so I can compete in HS for autocross. I may look at getting different rims at a later time

I will be getting the locking lugnuts. I talked to my cousin who is a cop (and also had his wheels stolen), and he says the locking lugnuts are a good deterrent.

I like the idea of painting the rims and leaving the lip chrome.

Something to consider, thanks.

Back