Waxes, sealants, ceramics - Don't over think it

So then after the ceramic you just wash regularly with no added spray wax or anyting?

Yep. So long as you use a high quality ceramic with a good hardness like 9H. You get what you pay for. Cheap ceramics don't last long. Ceramics can get some build up on them over time. So once in a while (maybe once a year) I have a special spray cleaner that I mist on the vehicle and then wipe it off.

I put it on all the exterior glass, the wheels and all the exterior plastic. The windshield glass has to be reapplied on a regular basis though.

Our 2016 Audi Q3 looks brand new in terms of the paint. And if you run your hands on the paint its a smooth as day one. Go run your hands on any used car and you will feel the build up. The Audi is the least cared for vehicle in the stable. I am not stating that the paint is free of damage or defects from road debris and such. Just that the environment has had little impact. No UV fade and no contaminants have adhered to the paint and the paint shines with a gloss that looks wet and beautiful even at night.

I currently live in the Midwest and we get snow and they salt the roads so I am always looking for low maintenance options to protect the paint.

When I gave the dealership my '19 CX-5 it sat on the lot for a few days before they were able to process it and start to prep it to sell and customers thought it was a new car for sale. So I guess its not just me that noticed. ;)

Quite some time ago I was watching Mike Brewer on Wheeler Dealers and they did ceramic on a Corvette rebuild. I thought what is ceramic paint protection? I did the research and was impressed.

Have to keep in mind that ceramic is not going to protect from scratches or road debris, just UV and other contaminants. Think of it as a very durable wax that requires almost zero maintenance.

I still enjoy detailing my rides (its a great way to turn off the brain and get some outdoor time for sure), but with ceramic I don't have to work as hard.

Last edited:
Next I am going to coat my CX-5 with a high quality

Hydrophobic rich & creamy chocolate frosting! You can have your CX-5 & eat it too…Even in the rain...​

Back